re: G scale

  • Fred Ladd
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 28, 2007
      Joe,
      USA Trains are very nice- I got the Santa Fe F-7 ABBA and passenger
      car set-- much better than Aristocraft's. LGB 's are nice engines but
      the trucks are on the narrow side. And expensive.
      MTH came out with the Railking ONE-GAUGE-- 1:32 And I got the Santa
      Fe Dash-8 (6-wheel Truck) A very handsome Engine-MTH catalog 2002
      Volume 1.
      I've also got the SD40-2 in the Santa Fe Blue & Yellow. The fore and
      aft platforms are longer than the Flared -8's. Handsome Model
      I never broke out my calipers on these big guys-.
      I'd suggest you go to a hobby store and see the units your intersted
      in close up and personal. You sure have the eye for details!
      Things like paint colors and finish are different with different
      companies, and other variations play in to the overall display model.
      Also as suggested before, check out a G scale site.
      But nothing beatz looking at one in your hands.
      I'm into ALL Scales Santa Fe War Bonnet mostly. Saw my first Santa Fe
      on a coal train in Norfolk Virginia a couple of years ago. Hooked up
      to 4 NW -8's.- musta got lost being way out east.
      I wanted to run an outside layout but Dragon Lady threatened to use
      her Ellana Bobbet knife on me, so in the interest of retaining what
      I've got AND marital bliss I've temporarily put that idea on hold.
      Best,
      Fred
    • Allan Miller
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 1, 2007
        I like trains in a variety of scales, ranging from Z through Large
        Scale (G) and currently have models in A, N, HO, O, On30, Std. Gauge
        and Large Scale (mostly 1:20.3, 1:24, and 1:32).

        1:32 (MTH, for example, and Marklin) is the correct scale for modeling
        U.S. standard gauge on 45mm (Large Scale) track. 1:29 is a scale that
        Aristo-Craft "invented" as sort of a compromise between LGB's 1:22.5
        and Marklin's 1:32 scales so the cars and motive power from either of
        those scales wouldn't look terribly out of place running together with
        1:29 scale trains. USA Trains also went along with the 1:29 scale.

        Large Scale/garden railroading is a whole other--and somewhat
        unique--segment of the hobby, and like all the rest it has both
        advantages and limitations.

        I'm slowly working on an updated version of my "Getting Started in
        Garden Railroading" book now, since the one I wrote some six or seven
        years ago is rather outdated in terms of the equipment described and
        listed. Some new techniques for using these trains has also evolved
        over the years, as it tends to do in all segments, including Z.

        --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "Fred Ladd" <zeagle99@...> wrote:

        > Joe,
        > USA Trains are very nice- I got the Santa Fe F-7 ABBA and passenger
        > car set-- much better than Aristocraft's. LGB 's are nice engines but
        > the trucks are on the narrow side. And expensive.
        > MTH came out with the Railking ONE-GAUGE-- 1:32 And I got the Santa
        > Fe Dash-8 (6-wheel Truck) A very handsome Engine-MTH catalog 2002
        > Volume 1.
        > I've also got the SD40-2 in the Santa Fe Blue & Yellow. The fore and
        > aft platforms are longer than the Flared -8's. Handsome Model
        > I never broke out my calipers on these big guys-.
        > I'd suggest you go to a hobby store and see the units your intersted
        > in close up and personal. You sure have the eye for details!
        > Things like paint colors and finish are different with different
        > companies, and other variations play in to the overall display model.
        > Also as suggested before, check out a G scale site.
        > But nothing beatz looking at one in your hands.
        > I'm into ALL Scales Santa Fe War Bonnet mostly. Saw my first Santa Fe
        > on a coal train in Norfolk Virginia a couple of years ago. Hooked up
        > to 4 NW -8's.- musta got lost being way out east.
        > I wanted to run an outside layout but Dragon Lady threatened to use
        > her Ellana Bobbet knife on me, so in the interest of retaining what
        > I've got AND marital bliss I've temporarily put that idea on hold.
        > Best,
        > Fred

      • Fred Ladd
        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 1, 2007
          "It depends on what the definition of" G "is".