G Scale

  • Joe DAmato
    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 28, 2007
      Ok..I know this is a Z scale site, but most of you I have met, do G
      scale as well. I am thinking about getting a USA Trains SD40-2, for
      dislpay only, detailed and repainted for my desk. Is this a true 1/29
      scale model or is it a mish-mash and require rebuilding. Are the
      trucks to scale?? might get those and build a Hybred version of the SD-
      40-2.

      Thanks

      Joe
    • ztribob
      Message 2 of 8 , Feb 28, 2007
        you might ask the question on a G scale group. like this yahoo group
        gscalegroupĀ·G Scale Group - Large scale model RRs. I have more G scale
        than I do Z but I don't have much from USA Trains. I think their stuff
        is pretty close to scale (1/29) but I don't have any first hand
        knowledge.
        Bob in Kalamazoo with a much bigger G layout than Z.

        --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "Joe DAmato" <shipsure2003@...> wrote:

        > Ok..I know this is a Z scale site, but most of you I have met, do G
        > scale as well. I am thinking about getting a USA Trains SD40-2, for
        > dislpay only, detailed and repainted for my desk. Is this a true 1/29
        > scale model or is it a mish-mash and require rebuilding. Are the
        > trucks to scale?? might get those and build a Hybred version of the
        SD-
        > 40-2.
        >
        > Thanks
        >
        > Joe

      • Karin Svenson
        Message 3 of 8 , Feb 28, 2007
          --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "Joe DAmato" <shipsure2003@...> wrote:

          > Ok..I know this is a Z scale site, but most of you I have met, do G
          > scale as well. I am thinking about getting a USA Trains SD40-2, for
          > dislpay only, detailed and repainted for my desk. Is this a true 1/29
          > scale model or is it a mish-mash and require rebuilding. Are the
          > trucks to scale?? might get those and build a Hybred version of the SD-
          > 40-2.
          >
          > Thanks
          >
          > Joe

          Hi Joe,
          I am SO into G that Loren is a G scale convert. Course he wouldn't
          want me to say that on this forum. Oops!!!!

          I absolutely LOVE my "Aristo-Craft" SD70 MAC and my "USA Trains"
          GP38-2 with matching "USA Trains" extended vision caboose. ALL are
          Alaska Railroad (what else?) and are compatible with each other and
          the other brands. I also have a nice Aristo C-16 2-8-0 that I love.

          The detailing is impeccable because they are so big. But I will warn
          you... you who deals and designs in all thingz tiny... These are not
          exactly designed for desk displaying, and I've seen your desk! It is
          for your mantle or your yard!

          Z is awesome but I can't see myself EVER giving up my G.

          Karin
          (please don't shoot me, I can't help it I love G but also love my Z)
        • grblaser
          Message 4 of 8 , Feb 28, 2007
            --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "Joe DAmato" <shipsure2003@...> wrote:

            > Ok..I know this is a Z scale site, but most of you I have met, do G
            > scale as well. I am thinking about getting a USA Trains SD40-2, for
            > dislpay only, detailed and repainted for my desk. Is this a true 1/29
            > scale model or is it a mish-mash and require rebuilding. Are the
            > trucks to scale?? might get those and build a Hybred version of the SD-
            > 40-2.
            >
            > Thanks
            >
            > Joe

            According to their web site they are 1.29 scale. The USA products are done very nice. I alos
            do some G railraoding around the yard.

            Gwyl B.
          • Daniel Egy

                Message 7 of 8 , Feb 28, 2007
                  Gee Karin...how do you feel about G scale?? :o)

                  --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "Karin Svenson" <karin@...> wrote:

                  > --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "Joe DAmato" <shipsure2003@> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > Ok..I know this is a Z scale site, but most of you I have met, do
                  > > scale as well. I am thinking about getting a USA Trains SD40-2,
                  for
                  > > dislpay only, detailed and repainted for my desk. Is this a true
                  1/29
                  > > scale model or is it a mish-mash and require rebuilding. Are the
                  > > trucks to scale?? might get those and build a Hybred version of
                  the SD-
                  > > 40-2.
                  > >
                  > > Thanks
                  > >
                  > > Joe
                  >
                  > Hi Joe,
                  > I am SO into G that Loren is a G scale convert. Course he wouldn't
                  > want me to say that on this forum. Oops!!!!
                  >
                  > I absolutely LOVE my "Aristo-Craft" SD70 MAC and my "USA Trains"
                  > GP38-2 with matching "USA Trains" extended vision caboose. ALL are
                  > Alaska Railroad (what else?) and are compatible with each other and
                  > the other brands. I also have a nice Aristo C-16 2-8-0 that I love.
                  >
                  > The detailing is impeccable because they are so big. But I will
                  warn
                  > you... you who deals and designs in all thingz tiny... These are not
                  > exactly designed for desk displaying, and I've seen your desk! It
                  is
                  > for your mantle or your yard!
                  >
                  > Z is awesome but I can't see myself EVER giving up my G.
                  >
                  > Karin
                  > (please don't shoot me, I can't help it I love G but also love my Z)

                • Thomas Creighton Sr
                  Message 8 of 8 , Feb 28, 2007
                    of coarse you can do what I did, that is build a g guage layout then take MTL N guage and set it up in the backyard of one of the farmer buildingS and have G figures riding the N boxcars and then take your Z trains and build a minature garden Z scale layout with G scale figures running it. Try it you will like it! MODEL TRAINS ARE A DISEASE WITH ONLY ONE CURE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!