RE: [Z_Scale] Z Crossing Gates Update and More...

  • Jeffrey White
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 26, 2007
      Mike,

      I will take (2) two gates and (2) two crossing.

      Jeffrey

      To: z_scale@yahoogroups.comFrom: mchwilton@...: Mon, 26 Feb 2007 13:52:39 -0800Subject: [Z_Scale] Z Crossing Gates Update and More...

      Hi All,I've been making good progress at assembling the long awaited crossing gates, current progress can be seen here:http://ph.groups.yahoo.com/group/z_scale/photos/view/5692?b=9If the link dosen't work just go to our photo section and look in the choochooterrain album, you'll also see photos there of a set of finnished gates. I'm working on fitting the gate arms to the hinge saddles now and will begin hooking up the thru the board linkage next. I'm taking the time to make this update since I ran out of brass wire, and the LHS is closed today.This has been a very long and tedious project. Here's a little history. It started about 2 years ago. I bought a Micro Mark photo etching kit and decided this would be my first project with it. I only made a couple sets before I decided I didn't like them. They looked ok, but the more I looked at and played with them the more dissapointed I was. They were to delicate and lacked the 3 dementional look I wanted. So I only sent out a couple sets before deciding to totally redesign them utilizing "lost wax casting". This techneque is far more labor and cost intensive. First I had to carve masters of all the parts and cast them into sterling silver. Next came the mold making for reproduction. The molds are vulcanized rubber that are then injected with wax to create patterns. Each wax pattern had to be cleaned up to prepare them for casting into brass. This is the same process as a jeweler would use to cast a fine gold ring. I'll spare you all the details unless people havequestions and want to know more.These gates are approx. 15 Z scale feet tall without bell and approx. a 15 Z scale foot long gate arm. Each set includes one with and one without a bell on top. The red SMD LED's are prewired and painted with clear red paint and synthetic ruby lenses. They will be pre-painted and decaled ready to install on your layout. The linkage for the gate is designed to go through 1" foam and 1/4" plywood, longer linkage is available if I hear from you ASAP. Activation & flashing circuits, and motors are NOT included. These can be adapted from other scales, so I'm only making what you can't find elsewhere. 1000 ohm resistors are included for using with a 12 volt power source. If you've seen the Berkshire Junction Z crossbucks, these are noticeably smaller.Anyway, I'm only making 12 sets, I have no plans to make more at this time. Using the same parts, except the base, I'm also making 10 sets of crossing signals without gates. Due to the higher cost of this process, the updated price is $125./pair for the gates and $75./pair for signals without gates, + shipping. If you originally paid for a set of etched gates, you may pay the differance when they are ready, or a refund will be given, or you may chose a set of crossbuck signals without gates. I have yet to hear from 3 people of they're choice, but as it stands now, 9 sets of gates and 4 sets of signals are spoken for. If you have a desire for the remaining, LMK, I'll put you on a waiting list til I here from those other people. Unfortonatly I could not find thier e-mail addresses, so this has been a lot to sort out. I'm tring to limit 1 pair per person so the most people can enjoy these, I might make exception if you're real nice <smile>. I "may" make parts available at alater time for those who scratch build, but no promises.I finally have a "idea" of the timeframe for availability. I'm tring to do everything that needs to be done in my workshop before a trip to FL next month where I'll be doing other steps of assembly. If all goes well, I'm looking at having them done late April/early May before my spring duties take all my time. If I don't meet this goal, they will be ready early-mid summer at the latest.Thank you for your support and patience. All Z best,Michael HilliardP.O. Box 273Wilton, CT 06897phone: 203-762-2476e-mail: mchwilton@... paypal: choochooterrain@... [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

    • David K. Smith
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 26, 2007
        Mike--

        Excellent stuff. Quite outstanding. I wouldlike one each of the
        crossing gates and signals only.

        Many thanks,
        David K. Smith
        http://jamesriverbranch.net/

        --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, Michael Hilliard <mchwilton@...>
        wrote:

> [...]
        I'll put you on a waiting list til I here from those other people.
        Unfortonatly I could not find thier e-mail addresses, so this has
        been a lot to sort out. I'm tring to limit 1 pair per person so the
        most people can enjoy these, I might make exception if you're real
        nice <smile>. I "may" make parts available at a
        > later time for those who scratch build, but no promises.
        >
        > I finally have a "idea" of the timeframe for availability. I'm
        tring to do everything that needs to be done in my workshop before a
        trip to FL next month where I'll be doing other steps of assembly. If
        all goes well, I'm looking at having them done late April/early May
        before my spring duties take all my time. If I don't meet this goal,
        they will be ready early-mid summer at the latest.

        > Thank you for your support and patience. All Z best,

      • Michael Hilliard
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 27, 2007
          Hi David,

          Thanks for your kind words. I've added you to the list. I "think" I can accomidate you. I'll let you know for sure as soon as I can. All Z best,

          Michael Hilliard

          wrote:

> [...]
          I'll put you on a waiting list til I here from those other people.
          Unfortonatly I could not find thier e-mail addresses, so this has
          been a lot to sort out. I'm tring to limit 1 pair per person so the
          most people can enjoy these, I might make exception if you're real
          nice <smile>. I "may" make parts available at a
          > later time for those who scratch build, but no promises.
          >
          > I finally have a "idea" of the timeframe for availability. I'm
          tring to do everything that needs to be done in my workshop before a
          trip to FL next month where I'll be doing other steps of assembly. If
          all goes well, I'm looking at having them done late April/early May
          before my spring duties take all my time. If I don't meet this goal,
          they will be ready early-mid summer at the latest.

          > Thank you for your support and patience. All Z best,

        • Reynard Wellman
          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 27, 2007
            Hello Michael,
            Congratulations on getting the crossing gate/signals into
            production. Like I mentioned to you last year, I thought your
            design was very marketable, a fine alternative to the crossing
            gates that Marklin has so successfully produced, only this
            time in a North American style.

            Best regardZ and good luck with the units.

            Reynard
            http://www.micronart.com
            On Feb 26, 2007, at 1:52 PM, Michael Hilliard wrote:

            > Hi All,
            >
            > I've been making good progress at assembling the long awaited
            > crossing gates, current progress can be seen here:

            edit for length