Fried BR89 Anyone? corrected.

  • Jay Greer
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 23, 2007
      Hi Gang,
      You will recall my posting of the 88051; the Lok that fried, due to it's stalling
      and cooking during a phone call. I was given a reprieve by Lajos Theck, who
      was kind enough to come to my rescue! Lajos called me out of the blue and
      invited me to bring the ailing patient up to his, well equiped shop in Long
      Beach CA.

      Lajos likes good rock and roll music. So we had a nice concert while he
      worked on the patient. Dick Dale and his surf tunes is one of his favorites.
      And, Lajos plays a pretty good guitar himself!

      The interesting thing about his work is that he rarely resorts to using tweasers
      for holding parts; prefering , instead to use his sensitive fingers to hold the tiny
      components. Upon disassembly we found that the lok had, indeed, suffered a
      major melt down! One brush had a broken carbon and the commutatior was
      scored and usless. Lajos has a jewlers press that allows him to remove the
      frame mounted armature so he was able to install a complete new motor with
      just a few deft taps on the tiny mandrel he used to punch off the worm gear.
      After a thorough cleaning of all parts and a reassembly, the lok ran better than
      new on Lajos test loop. I drove back home,
      smiling in the rain!
      Thank you Lajos,
      Jay Greer