Re: [Z_Scale] scale speed

  • Garth Hamilton
    Message 1 of 19 , Feb 23, 2007
      Scale speed
      For an old fart this is what I remember of figuring this out
      1 mile equals 5280 feet and 5280 feet X 12 = 63360 inches
      Z-scale is 1:220
      1 hour =60minutes
      1 min=60seconds
      So we have to figure time and distance scaled down 1:220

      1 mph = 288 inches/hr
      scale (63360inches/220=288inches) (5280ftx12=63360inches)
      or 288/60 min = 4.8 inches / min or 24 inches /5 min (24/4.8 = 5)

      10mph = 2880 inches/hr scale
      or 2880/60 min. = 48 inches / min 24inches/30 sec

      20 mph = 5760 inches/hr scale
      or 5760/60 min. = 96 inches / min 48 inches/30 sec 24 inches/15 sec

      40 mph = 11520 inches/hr scale
      or 11520/60 min. = 192 inches / min 96 inches/30 sec 48 inches/15
      sec 24inches/7.5 sec

      60 mph = 17280 inches/hr scale
      or 17280/60 min. = 288 inches / min 144 inches/30 sec 72 inches/15
      sec 24inches/5 sec

      80 mph = 23040 inches/hr scale
      or 23040/60 min. = 384 inches / min 192 inches/30 sec 96
      inches/15 sec 48inches/7.5 sec 24inches/3.75 sec

      regards
      Garth
    • non
      Message 2 of 19 , Feb 23, 2007
        Please help:
        Below is a question to my website. I want to be able to give this person the correct answers.
        Message: Mr. Aron: is possible run an locomotive from microtrains line in marklin track
        using marklin power pack. tks I am interested in some items tks.c galindo

        Aaron Poscovsky
      • grblaser
        Message 3 of 19 , Feb 23, 2007
          --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, Garth Hamilton <garthah@...> wrote:

          > Scale speed
          > For an old fart this is what I remember of figuring this out
          > 1 mile equals 5280 feet and 5280 feet X 12 = 63360 inches
          > Z-scale is 1:220
          > 1 hour =60minutes
          > 1 min=60seconds
          > So we have to figure time and distance scaled down 1:220
          >
          > 1 mph = 288 inches/hr
          > scale (63360inches/220=288inches) (5280ftx12=63360inches)
          > or 288/60 min = 4.8 inches / min or 24 inches /5 min (24/4.8 = 5)
          >
          > 10mph = 2880 inches/hr scale
          > or 2880/60 min. = 48 inches / min 24inches/30 sec
          >
          > 20 mph = 5760 inches/hr scale
          > or 5760/60 min. = 96 inches / min 48 inches/30 sec 24 inches/15 sec
          >
          > 40 mph = 11520 inches/hr scale
          > or 11520/60 min. = 192 inches / min 96 inches/30 sec 48 inches/15
          > sec 24inches/7.5 sec
          >
          > 60 mph = 17280 inches/hr scale
          > or 17280/60 min. = 288 inches / min 144 inches/30 sec 72 inches/15
          > sec 24inches/5 sec
          >
          > 80 mph = 23040 inches/hr scale
          > or 23040/60 min. = 384 inches / min 192 inches/30 sec 96
          > inches/15 sec 48inches/7.5 sec 24inches/3.75 sec
          >
          > regards
          > Garth

          Thanks for the info. :)

          Now my brain hurts! LOL!

          Gwyl
          B.
        • Loren Snyder
          Message 4 of 19 , Feb 23, 2007
            Aaron,
            The simple answer is "yes" We do it all the time.

            Loren

            Message 5 of 19 , Feb 23, 2007
              --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "non" <aposcovsky@...> wrote:

              > Please help:
              > Below is a question to my website. I want to be able to give this
              person the correct answers.
              > Message: Mr. Aron: is possible run an locomotive from microtrains
              line in marklin track
              > using marklin power pack. tks I am interested in some items tks.c
              galindo

              > Aaron Poscovsky

              Should be no problem. Exactly what I did until I went DCC.

              ...don
            • Glen Chenier
              Message 6 of 19 , Feb 23, 2007
                A cure for brain pain - a easy way to estimate how fast trains are
                moving at any scale from 1:1 prototype through Z scale.

                10 MPH is 52800 feet in 3600 seconds, or about 14.6667 feet per
                second. Round to 15 feet per second to make the math easier.

                A 50 foot car takes 50/15 = 3.3 seconds to pass a fixed point at 10
                MPH.

                A 40 foot car takes 40/15 - 2.7 seconds to pass a fixed point at 10
                MPH.

                Same for the locomotive and other cars - if you know the prototype
                length, you can figure the time needed to pass a fixed point at 10
                MPH.

                Count off the seconds while a car passes any arbitrary trackside
                marker. "One chimpanZee - 2 chimpanZees - 3 chimpanZees ..." . At
                average talking speed, a chimpanzee equals about 1 second to
                pronounce. Or better yet, in our Scale you could say "1 Train in
                Zee - 2 Trains in Zed ..." .

                Roughly 3 seconds per boxcar (average between 40' and 50'car) for
                every 10 mph. If 1.5 seconds per car, the train is moving at 20
                mph. If 1 second per car, the train is moving at 30 MPH. Half
                second per car is 60 MPH. A quarter second per car is way too fast
                unless you are modelling high speed rail.

                Watching the occasional prototype train go by here in the city
                (Dallas TX USA) they run about 2.5 seconds per 50 foot boxcar =
                3.3/2.5 x 10 = 13 MPH. A nice, safe city speed and lots of time to
                enjoy watching the train go by. Same for models, the longer a train
                is in view the more enjoyment one gets from watching it.

                So the next time someone comes up to you at a train show and asks why
                the trains are not going faster, you can state with confidence "The
                train is moving at 40 scale MPH because that is the speed restriction
                on the curve ahead...". This helps to eliminate any perceived or
                assumed relationship to "cute toys".

                Conversion to kilometers I will leave to someone else other than a
                kilometer is 0.62 of a mile. My head hurts...

                --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "grblaser" <grblaser@...> wrote:

                > --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, Garth Hamilton <garthah@> wrote:
                > >
                > > Scale speed
                > > For an old fart this is what I remember of figuring this out
                > > 1 mile equals 5280 feet and 5280 feet X 12 = 63360 inches
                > > Z-scale is 1:220

                <...snip for reply brevity...>

                > Thanks for the info. :)
                >
                > Now my brain hurts! LOL!
                >
                > Gwyl
                > B.

              • Loren Snyder
                Message 7 of 19 , Feb 23, 2007
                  Phooey on the countin, I'm just gonna get me a radar gun and pull the
                  speeders over!

                  A cure for brain pain - a easy way to estimate how fast trains are
                  moving at any scale from 1:1 prototype through Z scale.

                  snip.......

                • robertfage@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 19 , Feb 23, 2007
                    We do it all the time. ???? trust Lorne to be doing it all the time.... yes
                    I agree you can run them on each others track.

                    Bob Fage (in...a very wet UK)

                  • hobbycraftsnmore
                    Message 9 of 19 , Feb 23, 2007
                      Hi Aaron
                      I run MTL engines on Marklin Track and Marklin Engine on MTL track
                      all the time.I've used both railpower and Marklin controls to run
                      both MTL and Marklin engines. On my main Layout I even have the
                      Marklin and MTL Flex track mixed in. I Also show how to connect the
                      MTL micro-track with the marklin track on my website.

                      Kevin
                      Hobby Crafts N More

                      --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "non" <aposcovsky@...> wrote:

                      > Please help:
                      > Below is a question to my website. I want to be able to give this
                      person the correct answers.
                      > Message: Mr. Aron: is possible run an locomotive from
                      microtrains line in marklin track
                      > using marklin power pack. tks I am interested in some items tks.c
                      galindo

                      > Aaron Poscovsky

                    • Don Avila
                      Message 10 of 19 , Feb 23, 2007
                        How about being specific.

                        Don
                        Akron, Ohio - USA
                        > We do it all the time. ???? trust Lorne to be doing it all the
                        time.... yes
                        > I agree you can run them on each others track.

                        Some Marklin does not run well on Microtrains track.

                      • Alan
                        Message 11 of 19 , Feb 23, 2007

                          Message 12 of 19 , Feb 23, 2007
                            On Fri, 23 Feb 2007 14:02:10 -0500
                            "Don Avila" <d.f.avila@...> wrote:

                            > How about being specific.

                            Just browse the archive of this list about Microtrains turnouts, or try
                            older Marklin stock on them, particularly when reversing. I no longer
                            posess any MTL turnouts, but I'm looking forward to the newer ones
                            because the Marklin track you lay and spend a couple of days fettling and
                            getting smooth and pinned without any twists to cause problems the MTL
                            stuff you clip together thrown on a flattish surface and it just goes.

                            Alan
                          • Don Avila
                            Message 13 of 19 , Feb 23, 2007
                              Well, I don't doubt you can always find an exception it appears the
                              majority of replies is "No problem". Asking someone to search through
                              years of data is not really helping the guy.

                              Don
                              Akron, Ohio - USA

                              Message 14 of 19 , Feb 23, 2007
                                So the cork is the right height to allow the Marklin and MTL track to be
                                used on the same layout? That answers one of my questions.

                                How do the quality of the MTL turnouts compare to the Marklin turnouts? I
                                know that Marklin has the advantage of a wider variety of turnout styles. I
                                picked up two of the MTL turnouts and the Portland show last weekend, and
                                wasn't to impressed with having my engines stall on one when going at a slow
                                speed. Previously I've only had a loop of Marklin track without any
                                turnouts.

                                Zane

                                > Hi Aaron
                                > I run MTL engines on Marklin Track and Marklin Engine on MTL track
                                > all the time.I've used both railpower and Marklin controls to run
                                > both MTL and Marklin engines. On my main Layout I even have the
                                > Marklin and MTL Flex track mixed in. I Also show how to connect the
                                > MTL micro-track with the marklin track on my website.
                                >
                                > Kevin
                                > Hobby Crafts N More
                              • Zane H. Healy
                                Message 15 of 19 , Feb 23, 2007
                                  > Just browse the archive of this list about Microtrains turnouts, or try
                                  > older Marklin stock on them, particularly when reversing. I no longer
                                  > posess any MTL turnouts, but I'm looking forward to the newer ones
                                  > because the Marklin track you lay and spend a couple of days fettling and
                                  > getting smooth and pinned without any twists to cause problems the MTL
                                  > stuff you clip together thrown on a flattish surface and it just goes.
                                  >
                                  > Alan

                                  I purchased two MTL turnouts and some of the track last weekend, I also
                                  purchased a MTL GP-35 Union Pacific locomotive. If it is going slow enough
                                  it will stall on the turn out. As near as I can tell, it needs to be going
                                  fast enough that it can "jump" the gap and get back on the electrified
                                  reails.

                                  IIRC, it was also possible to get my Marklin engine to stall, but it took
                                  more effort as the Marklin engine I have runs quite fast.

                                  I like the MTL track, and would like to see them release more variety. I'm
                                  just not that enthused about the two turnouts I have, but as I noted in
                                  another message, I've not inspected the Marklin turnouts to see how precise
                                  they are.

                                  Zane
                                • Uwe Liermann
                                  Message 16 of 19 , Feb 24, 2007
                                    Hello Zane,

                                    > So the cork is the right height to allow the Marklin and MTL track to be
                                    > used on the same layout?

                                    depending on the thickness of the cork, but otherwise yes. If you get
                                    problems with rolling stock at the connection it will help to grind
                                    down the Maerklin rails a bit creating a little "ramp" (maybe about a
                                    quart or a third of the length of a standard straight will be
                                    perfect), because the rail is a little higher than the MTL rails.

                                    > I know that Marklin has the advantage of a wider variety of turnout
                                    > styles.

                                    I hope and I believe that MTL will soon be out with a much wider
                                    variety of track sections in time, so that we can create track plans
                                    with a wider choice of options. Remember that MTL just started to
                                    bring out this track system, whereas Maerklins track sections are
                                    around since more than 30 years.

                                    A very great plus for the MTL track is that it is connected together
                                    much faster and easier as the Maerklin tracks. Last Thursday I had a
                                    oval (circle and 8 sections straight track) with me at a monthly
                                    meeting in a local pub. It's a meeting of modelrailroaders in our
                                    town, and I'm the only Z-scaler there..... yet :-)
                                    When I arrived I could assemble the oval on the table and had trains
                                    running within a few minutes. I also gave two track section of
                                    Maerklin and two of MTL to the (H0) guys, and they could assemble the
                                    MTL much faster then the Maerklin tracks.
                                    The most complicated task for me was to connect those tiny wires to
                                    the power pack (and to find a wall socket for the power pack, which
                                    was the bulkiest item by far anyway ;-) ...next time I will bring a
                                    battery with the J├Ârger DeLuxe controller...). Then I also will be
                                    able to show some real slow running, and we can test how long the
                                    trains are running on a battery.
                                    We enjoyed the trains throughout the meeting, and even if it is called
                                    a Maerklin meeting I had rolling stock from Maerklin, MTL and FR on
                                    the tracks... ;-)

                                    > I picked up two of the MTL turnouts and the Portland show last
                                    > weekend, and wasn't to impressed with having my engines stall on one
                                    > when going at a slow speed.

                                    This is a problem of the power pick up by the engine. Especially the
                                    smaller ones can have trouble at slow speed, because of the necessary
                                    gaps in the track of a turnout, and this also can happen on Maerklin
                                    turnouts. With longer engines the problem won't happen as often,
                                    because always one truck is not on the critical area of the turnout.

                                    One detail is not perfect: I had problems with the power connection
                                    track because one of my engines (the BR96 88291) came very close to
                                    the clamps holding the wire with parts of the chassis. Here a bit more
                                    space would be a plus. On the other hand on a permanent layout I
                                    always would find a way to connect the wires somewhere hidden, like
                                    under the track.

                                    --
                                    GreetingZ
                                    Uwe
                                    Message 17 of 19 , Feb 26, 2007
                                      >Message: Mr. Aron: is possible run an locomotive from microtrains line in
                                      >marklin track
                                      >using marklin power pack. tks I am interested in some items tks.c galindo

                                      The answer is yes.
                                      V/R
                                      Larry P. Card
                                      Franklinton NC

                                    • Jeff Merill
                                      Message 18 of 19 , Mar 1, 2007
                                        Well we haven't seen that. We have numerous Marklin locos
                                        (Mikado/Pacific steams and F7's) that we run over 130' of MTL flex
                                        and Peter Wright's turnouts with no problems. Most run for 8 hours
                                        at shows. Just wipe the track clean before each day's runs. (don't
                                        use abrasives, just Rail Zip and wipe again after [follow Rail Zip
                                        instructions - do not leave on track] )

                                        SF Bay Area Z

                                        Message 19 of 19 , Mar 1, 2007
                                          On Thu, 01 Mar 2007 19:20:19 -0000
                                          "Jeff Merill" <sj-baz-man@...> wrote:

                                          > Well we haven't seen that. We have numerous Marklin locos
                                          > (Mikado/Pacific steams and F7's) that we run over 130' of MTL flex
                                          > and Peter Wright's turnouts with no problems.

                                          Wright turnouts not MTL ones - its the MTL turnouts the reports were all
                                          about.

                                          Alan