New Laser Kit

  • Don Avila
    Message 1 of 9 , Feb 20, 2007
      FannoCreek Designs is pleased to announce the first in a line of Z
      Scale laser cut model kits. The initial offering will be a shallow rib
      wood chip gondola in Southern Pacific livery. The kit is primarily
      composed of laser cut, translucent plastic, which allows the builder
      to have a finish that is exceptionally real when compared to the
      prototype. Assembly of the model is similar to a wood kit. Tiny tabs
      allow easy alignment of parts to ensure the finished model is straight
      and extremely prototypical. With some minor filling and sanding these
      tabs disappear on the finished model.

      Included in the kit are decals with several different road numbers,
      lead weights and brass wire for the various airlines on the underside.
      The kit does not include a load or trucks and couplers. Trucks and
      couplers as well as loads are available from Z Trains Things which is
      the sole distributor. The kit can be finished as a highly detailed
      craftsman masterpiece for display or a working car on a model railroad.

      If you would like to see photos of this model, check either ZCentral
      or TRAINBOARD.

      Pricing of each kit is $19.95. Shipping & handling is $5.50 for up to
      five (5) kits. Micro Trains Lines trucks and couplers are available
      for an additional $5.50 per set and loads are $3.25 each. Shipping &
      handling for trucks/couplers and loads is included in the shipping
      price when ordered at the same time.

      Watch for more road names to be released in the future.

      For further information contact Z Trains Things [Loren J Snyder] at
      LJSNYDER@... or 541-779-7877. These kits are available
      immediately.

      ...don
    • robertfage@aol.com
      Message 2 of 9 , Feb 21, 2007
        I have received two of these that I ordered from Loren and as soon as I
        receive the trucks from him I will be making them up. I have had a look at the
        kit... it has a fair amount in it and most people should be able to assemble it.
        I have promised to let Loren know how I get on - good or bad points... but
        from reading the detailed instructions i think they will go together well and
        certainly make a good edition to any layout. It is nice to se the kit comes
        with most of the items you need to assemble it .. the trucks not being
        included... the loads are up to you, so that is also in it's own way also good.
        More when I put them together... Bob Fage (in the UK)

      • Robert Toole
        Message 3 of 9 , Feb 21, 2007
          Bob,
          Don't forget to post some pics so we can see your handy work.

          Robert
          So Cal

          robertfage@... wrote:
          I have received two of these that I ordered from Loren and as soon as I
          receive the trucks from him I will be making them up. I have had a look at the
          kit... it has a fair amount in it and most people should be able to assemble it.
          I have promised to let Loren know how I get on - good or bad points... but
          from reading the detailed instructions i think they will go together well and
          certainly make a good edition to any layout. It is nice to se the kit comes
          with most of the items you need to assemble it .. the trucks not being
          included... the loads are up to you, so that is also in it's own way also good.
          More when I put them together... Bob Fage (in the UK)

        • jason_alles
          Message 4 of 9 , Feb 21, 2007
            If anyone is interested I posted a few pictures in the Z-Scale Yahoo!
            photos of the preproduction version. The production version that
            Loren is selling is a little better in some details, mostly in
            regards to the decals. Here are the links:

            b=2&m=s&o=2>
            <http://ph.groups.yahoo.com/group/z_scale/photos/view/e18c?
            b=3&m=s&o=2>

            Or browse over to the folder labeled "Fannocreek Woodchip Hopper"

            Jason

            --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "Don Avila" <d.f.avila@...> wrote:

            > FannoCreek Designs is pleased to announce the first in a line of Z
            > Scale laser cut model kits. The initial offering will be a shallow
            rib
            > wood chip gondola in Southern Pacific livery. The kit is primarily
            > composed of laser cut, translucent plastic, which allows the builder
            > to have a finish that is exceptionally real when compared to the
            > prototype. Assembly of the model is similar to a wood kit. Tiny tabs
            > allow easy alignment of parts to ensure the finished model is
            straight
            > and extremely prototypical. With some minor filling and sanding
            these
            > tabs disappear on the finished model.
            >
            > Included in the kit are decals with several different road numbers,
            > lead weights and brass wire for the various airlines on the
            underside.
            > The kit does not include a load or trucks and couplers. Trucks and
            > couplers as well as loads are available from Z Trains Things which
            is
            > the sole distributor. The kit can be finished as a highly detailed
            > craftsman masterpiece for display or a working car on a model
            railroad.

            > If you would like to see photos of this model, check either ZCentral
            > or TRAINBOARD.
            >
            > Pricing of each kit is $19.95. Shipping & handling is $5.50 for up
            > five (5) kits. Micro Trains Lines trucks and couplers are available
            > for an additional $5.50 per set and loads are $3.25 each. Shipping &
            > handling for trucks/couplers and loads is included in the shipping
            > price when ordered at the same time.
            >
            > Watch for more road names to be released in the future.
            >
            > For further information contact Z Trains Things [Loren J Snyder] at
            > LJSNYDER@... or 541-779-7877. These kits are available
            > immediately.
            >
            > ...don

          • Don Avila
            Message 5 of 9 , Feb 21, 2007
              Hey Robert:

              Is that Loren in love again and forgetting the important things like
              trucks?

              How about building up the kit and then cannibalize a set of trucks from
              one of your other models. Then take some photos and give us your
              impression of the final results. Maybe I can get Loren to send you a
              pair-and-a-half set of trucks for the dismantling time

              Don
              Akron, Ohio - USA

              Message 6 of 9 , Feb 22, 2007
                Will do... I will try to do each stage.

                Bob Fage (in the UK)

              • robertfage@aol.com
                Message 7 of 9 , Feb 22, 2007
                  Hi Don

                  What with the plug I gave him I think he should send me the trucks. Love
                  could be the problem he is having..noticed his mind has been wondering again.
                  At the moment I am weathering a lot of MTL wagons for my layout, as soon as I
                  finish I will be starting on the wagons (PROVING SOMEONE remembers to enclose
                  them with the March order ) - If I remind him enough he may remember...
                  Seriously there is a fair amount of work to do on these kits and to do it right I
                  want to put the trucks on at the start and not try and add them later on....I
                  could take them off another wagon, but then it is all the hassle putting
                  them back again..best to wait a week or so. I will do the photos as I promised
                  and then you can see the finished article as made by us that make up the kits.

                  I now have Trust Bridge finished and weathered, It looks good even if I say
                  so myself.

                  Bob Fage (in the UK)

                • Don Avila
                  Message 8 of 9 , Feb 22, 2007
                    Bob:

                    I built a couple of the Beta Versions of Jason's Wood Chip Hoppers.
                    After a couple of improvements, I would take a good look at putting the
                    trucks on FIRST. What I did was to build the hopper portion separately
                    from the underside frame work. When you get to the underside you will
                    find there are several pieces of detailed plastic that have to be
                    aligned in order to accept the bolster pin. What I did was to use a
                    toothpick poked in the bolster hole to align each piece. After the glue
                    dried I took a #52 [I think - I'll check if you would like] and just
                    smoothed out the bolster hole. After the base was complete and painted
                    I then added the trucks. I weathered the trucks before applying them.

                    You gain several things here. If the base is NOT attached to the hopper
                    you do not have to worry about drilling through the bottom of the hopper
                    when you tweak the bolster hole. Secondly when attaching the bolster
                    pin it may/may not take a little extra push to get it to seat. If the
                    base is NOT attached to the bottom of the hopper you can just turn it
                    upside down and set it on your bench and hammer away to your heart's
                    content without doing any damage to the hopper. Another "plus"
                    depending on how you are painting is that you can do some detailed work
                    on the underside without spoiling the hopper itself.

                    Thoughts from "been there - done that"

                    Don
                    Akron, Ohio - USA

                    Message 9 of 9 , Feb 22, 2007
                      Hi Don

                      Your comments are very welcome and I have noted what you say.. that is the
                      reason I am waiting for the trucks as Loren made a comment that he thought they
                      needed to be put in to position first. But it helps when someone else has
                      been there and got the tee shirt as you say...regards Bob Fage (in the UK)