Non Prototype Paint Schemes?

  • jcubbin@optonline.net
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 3, 2001
      I'm curious if any / many people who are airbrush savvy do much customizing of their trains. Just for laughs I posted a picture of an 8854
      that I'm assuming never existed and wonder how many people actually paint their trains? If so I think it would be interesting to see their
      work.

      The picture is at:

      John
    • Edward Scullin
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 3, 2001
        John
        I'm plannig on it, for my own road name have a bunch of undecorated
        PennZee hoppers and passenger cars, also some Microtrains 40' wood
        sheathed box cars (look at the Nn3 section of the MT price lists,
        $10.60 each). Just finished kitbashing a spray hood out of a burned
        up microwave case. Have played with el cheapo airbrush, and results
        were good enough to let me know I need a better one. Hoping to find
        somebody to do me some decals at the national train show.
        Ed Scullin

        http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/
      • jmac_han@hotmail.com
        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 3, 2001
          Hi John,

          You're a man after my own heart, repainting a Märklin
          locomotive...good for you!

          I love my airbrush and my microscale liquid masking solution.
          Can have one without the other, as they say. As for painting my
          trains, I have custom painted a complete Union Pacific
          passenger set in Armor yellow, SP harbor mist gray, red stripe,
          silver truck sideframes and tiny "Union Pacific" decals on each
          car. I didn't go to the extreme of naming the cars or adding
          reporting numbers (not yet anyway).

          You can see the train racing by in Passenger.mpg in
          Z_ScaleMPEGs. I really should take a better picture of it since it
          is my favorite train (because of my kitbashed motorized UP F7B
          with stainless steel side grills). I'll post something from the train
          shows.

          I also dirty up my steamers which I have repainted after surgery
          on them. Sorry my collector friends. One example was a UP
          4-6-0 that was featured on the Cover Page several months ago
          and another is the UP heavy Pacific on the turntable on the cover
          of this month's Ztrack Magazine.

          Enjoy your trainZ,
          Jeffrey MacHan

        • jcubbin@optonline.net
          Message 4 of 6 , Jul 3, 2001
            Hi Jeffrey,

            I didn't mean to mislead, but I haven't painted...yet. That's just a little touch up work in Photoshop with a German countryside backdrop!
            Before I do paint though I wanted to see what people thought of this idea in general. Still being relatively new to Z, I like to know the
            "rules" before I break them:)

            I'll have another look at your paint job now as well. It seems to me that what would be invaluable here or in ZTrack or over at http://
            www.creativelement.com/z/ (it could absolutely be in tandem) is a series of tutorials on painting. Photoshop I'm reasonable at, I don't
            know where to begin with airbrush work.

            Those tutorials could take the fear out of it.

            John
          • D. A. Karp
            Message 5 of 6 , Jul 4, 2001
              John,

              I've done some customizing of locomotives, including the Danish My 1144 (an
              extreme example):
              http://www.creativelement.com/z/articles/my1144.html

              To a lesser extent, I'm quite proud of the some graffiti work I did on a
              Marklin 8842: http://www.creativelement.com/z/pictures/misc/8842graffiti.jpg

              And I'm planning on getting some American coaches on eBay (cheap,
              hopefully) and airbrushing them to match the DRGW Alco PA - I'll post
              pictures when and if I ever get to this project.

              In other words, I totally recommend messing with all your locomotives,
              cars, structures, track, everything. If you're worried about permanently
              marring your more expensive jewels, start with the cheaper models. Or, get
              some old shells on eBay and go crazy.

              If there was enough interest, I could do a write-up in the next issue of
              Z-Track on some kit-bashing along with some airbrush tips.

              -David

              http://www.creativelement.com/z/
            • stamperdream@yahoo.ca
              Message 6 of 6 , Jul 4, 2001
                Nice work on the graffiti, David. Messing up my rolling stock is
                on my ToDo list, just a long way down...

                Your public is calling for an airbrush tutorial ;-)

                Cheers,
                Jeffrey