RE: [Z_Scale] Re: Marklin 8993 old style reverse loop....help

  • Brad Saunders
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 2, 2007
      QrpBob,

      So, I've finally was able to find my set of track and inspect them. My set
      is numbered as I said with the numbers embossed onto the plastic so it must
      be a newer set than yours. I'll try to describe each and maybe you can
      match up what you have to mine.

      Number 1: has diodes such that when the track is upside-down, the diode
      marking (the painted bar vertically across the device) for the upper diode
      is to the right side of the part
      Number 2: no diodes, only gaps
      Number 3: has diodes such that when the track is upside-down, the diode
      marking for the upper diode is to the left side of the part

      Actually, it doesn't matter all that much ... simply make sure that the
      track with only the gaps is installed in the middle and then install in your
      reversing loop. Enter the loop in the direction that you would like it to
      normally go for reversing and if the setup doesn't work as expected (i.e.
      auto-stop followed by re-starting in the right direction once you reverse
      the polarity), then remove the three track assembly to flip around. If it
      doesn't work in that direction either then maybe something is wrong with the
      diodes or the connections.

      Brad

      _____

      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 3, 2007
        Hello qrpbob,

        sorry to join in late..

        you wrote:

        > Problem is there are no numbers on the pieces...I've looked with a
        > 10x magnifier.

        and earlier:

        > there are 2 identical tracks with a single gap in the middle, and
        > one track with a single gap about 25mm in from one end. These pieces
        > are not numbered.

        according to this info I come to think that you don't have a reverse
        loop set, but other track pieces. Or at least not a complete set.

        If you check here:

        http://www.maerklin.de/produkte/pdb/index.php

        and type in 8993 into the field in the upper left side named
        "Artikel-Nr.: " (the cursor should be in the correct field when you
        get the website) you will see the correct reverse loop set.

        I have those sets in different ages. With the old "woodstyle" printed
        cardboard box, and the newer ones in brown/orange with the plastic
        holder for the track. Both kind have this big ugly numbered black box
        in the middle, and all track pieces have both rails with a gap in the
        middle. As Brad wrote number two has no diodes, and number one and
        three has two as described. The 25mm track piece is just to get even
        with the track geometry if building a reverse loop with one turnout.

        Unfortunately my scanner isn't working, so I can't scan the "manual".
        There is a website where some of those manuals are available as a
        picture or even as a download. But I can't remember the URL. Maybe
        someone else might know the URL.

        If the gap is only in one rail of the track, then it isn't a reverse
        loop piece. Without a diode it is either a 8588 piece (55mm long) or a
        8598 (110mm long. The old version, and not available anymore). Those
        are to create a track section that can be switched off.

        The tack piece with the gap about 25mm from the end in one rail and a
        diode is included in the different loco shed kits. Those are meant to
        prevent the loco from running of track in the shed. Those pieces
        should be installed so that if going in the loco has enough space
        behind the gap to stand on. Then the loco will stop, and can only run
        out again, but not further into the shed. For this piece there are no
        item# since it is not available single, only in those kits.

        If you need a reverse loop it is easy to create one with the info Brad
        gave about the direction of the diodes. You just need four simple
        diodes and either isolating track connectors, or a cut in the rails at
        the spot you want to install the diodes, to assemble your own reverse
        loop set.

        --
        GreetingZ
        Uwe
        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 13, 2007
          Uwe & Brad,

          Just checked back in to the group. Many thanks for your replies.

          Now I know why I could not get things to work. Thought maybe I

          was getting senile.

          Thanks for your help and clarifications.

          QrpBob