Can MRC1300 power Marklin Accessories?

  • Frank Daniels
    Message 1 of 9 , Feb 2, 2007
      Anybody know the answer to this inquiry?

      "Is the Micro trains transformer (modified MRC 1300) compatable with
      Marklin powered turnouts? Thanks--Chet"

      Thanks,
      Frank Daniels
      z.scale.hobo
    • Jeff Merill
      Message 2 of 9 , Feb 3, 2007
        It has two outputs: the normal AC output for the Accessories, same as
        the Marklin and others plus the modified DC output for the track.
        Note: I believe the modification is nothing more than a physical stop
        so that the knob cannot be fully rotated (i.e. lower maximum voltage
        for the DC only).

        Jeff

        --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "Frank Daniels" <zscalehobo@...> wrote:

        > Anybody know the answer to this inquiry?
        >
        > "Is the Micro trains transformer (modified MRC 1300) compatable with
        > Marklin powered turnouts? Thanks--Chet"
        >
        > Thanks,
        > Frank Daniels
        > z.scale.hobo

      • jeffcrist2002
        Message 3 of 9 , Feb 3, 2007
          If I remember correctly, there is a warning that comes with the MRC
          1300 about using it with Marklin accessories. It has higher ac
          voltage, so dont press the button to long, or you could burn out the
          switch. Frank, why dont you just open a box. There should have a
          warning label.

          John

        • hpaule1@peoplepc.com
          Message 4 of 9 , Feb 3, 2007
            No, not compatible, the AC is 15 to 16 Volts depending on your AC power line 110 to 117 Volts

            Freudenreich in Germany has a step-down transformer to get the 10 Volts AC you need for the
            Maerklin accessories...

            Z Greetings, Helmut Paule

            Message 5 of 9 , Feb 3, 2007
              On Sat, 03 Feb 2007 09:08:01 -0000
              "Jeff Merill" <sj-baz-man@...> wrote:

              > It has two outputs: the normal AC output for the Accessories, same as
              > the Marklin and others plus the modified DC output for the track.
              > Note: I believe the modification is nothing more than a physical stop
              > so that the knob cannot be fully rotated (i.e. lower maximum voltage
              > for the DC only).

              The AC used by Marklin for Z is much lower than for HO. Use the 16v and
              you will blow up your turnouts and lights.
            • dave_o_1999
              Message 6 of 9 , Feb 4, 2007
                I just bought one yesterday, and there is a a cautionary statement on the unit, just below
                the direction switch.

                --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "jeffcrist2002" <jmui@...> wrote:

                > If I remember correctly, there is a warning that comes with the MRC
                > 1300 about using it with Marklin accessories. It has higher ac
                > voltage, so dont press the button to long, or you could burn out the
                > switch. Frank, why dont you just open a box. There should have a
                > warning label.
                >
                > John
                >

                > --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "Jeff Merill" <sj-baz-man@> wrote:
                > >
                > > It has two outputs: the normal AC output for the Accessories,
                > same as
                > > the Marklin and others plus the modified DC output for the track.
                > > Note: I believe the modification is nothing more than a physical
                > stop
                > > so that the knob cannot be fully rotated (i.e. lower maximum
                > voltage
                > > for the DC only).
                > >
                > > Jeff
                > >
                > > --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "Frank Daniels" <zscalehobo@>
                > wrote:
                > > >
                > > > Anybody know the answer to this inquiry?
                > > >
                > > > "Is the Micro trains transformer (modified MRC 1300) compatable
                > with
                > > > Marklin powered turnouts? Thanks--Chet"
                > > >
                > > > Thanks,
                > > > Frank Daniels
                > > > z.scale.hobo

              • Ell Geib
                Message 7 of 9 , Feb 4, 2007
                  It can not only blow the coil in a switch motor, it can apparently
                  generate sufficient heat to melt the housing. At a DC_Z-Bend_Track
                  work session, a switch in a section of track being modified was found
                  that way, coil blown and melted housing. No one knew for sure when or
                  just what happened. But they believe it was due to connecting to the
                  AC poles of an MRC-1300. No one was particularly interested in
                  experimenting to determine whether it could have been holding down a
                  momentary contact switch too long or if even a short blast of too
                  much voltage could have caused the problem. They'll leave that
                  experiment to someone with a lot of switches he doesn't care about
                  :-).

                  Ell Geib
                • Glen Chenier
                  Message 8 of 9 , Feb 4, 2007
                    With a CDU (Capacitor Discharge Unit) added to automatically limit
                    the time duration of the coil current the MRC1300 should power a
                    Marklin turnout safely. For construction details of many different
                    types of CDUs see Rob Paisley's website

                    <http://home.cogeco.ca/~rpaisley4/CDPSU.html>

                    The main storage capacitor value should be experimented with and set
                    to the minimum that will reliably throw the turnout to compensate for
                    the increased voltage. Suggested values are start with 220 uF, then
                    if not sufficient try 470 uF, 1000 uF. Ron's diagrams show 2200uF
                    but this is for typical Atlas or Peco type turnouts in N and HO scale.

                    A CDU is worthwhile to guarantee that the turnout motor will never be
                    damaged by holding the button too long no matter what power supply
                    voltage is used.

                    wrote:

                    > Anybody know the answer to this inquiry?
                    >
                    > "Is the Micro trains transformer (modified MRC 1300) compatable
                    with
                    > Marklin powered turnouts? Thanks--Chet"
                    >
                    > Thanks,
                    > Frank Daniels
                    > z.scale.hobo

                  • Frank Daniels
                    Message 9 of 9 , Feb 5, 2007
                      John:

                      I do not have one in my possession. This was an inquiry from a
                      prospective customer who does not know about this fantastic forum for
                      having questions answered. Thanks to all for replying!

                      Sincerely,
                      Frank Daniels