Re: Rio Grande Speed Logo

  • pinekirk
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 2, 2007
      jim,
      i assume you mean "Rio Grande" with the lines extending from the
      letters called "speed lettering". i think 1939 is when that became
      the logo for both narrow gauge and standard gauge application. it was
      applied to loco tenders, and rolling stock, and then to buildings and
      tother equipment.

      before that D&RG used more round heralds (e.g. Royal Gorge Route
      logo). this is what you find on the equipment prior to 1939. the
      historical site link below also says this was the beginning of the use
      of the speed lettering logo.

      http://www.drgw.org/reference/heralds/heralds.htm
      dave f.

      --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "Jim O'Connell" <jimo.crcmnvgtr@...>
      wrote:

      > Gang, Can anyone tell me when the speed logo swooshy thingy first
      > appeared? Thanks, Jim CCRR

    • Jim O'Connell
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 2, 2007
        Dave, Your assumption is correct. Thanks for the answer and thanks for
        the great website for heralds and logos. Cheers, Jim CCRR