Rio Grande Speed Logo

  • Jim O'Connell
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 2, 2007
      Gang, Can anyone tell me when the speed logo swooshy thingy first
      appeared? Thanks, Jim CCRR
    • pinekirk
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 2, 2007
        jim,
        i assume you mean "Rio Grande" with the lines extending from the
        letters called "speed lettering". i think 1939 is when that became
        the logo for both narrow gauge and standard gauge application. it was
        applied to loco tenders, and rolling stock, and then to buildings and
        tother equipment.

        before that D&RG used more round heralds (e.g. Royal Gorge Route
        logo). this is what you find on the equipment prior to 1939. the
        historical site link below also says this was the beginning of the use
        of the speed lettering logo.

        http://www.drgw.org/reference/heralds/heralds.htm
        dave f.

        --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "Jim O'Connell" <jimo.crcmnvgtr@...>
        wrote:

        > Gang, Can anyone tell me when the speed logo swooshy thingy first
        > appeared? Thanks, Jim CCRR

      • Jim O'Connell
        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 2, 2007
          Dave, Your assumption is correct. Thanks for the answer and thanks for
          the great website for heralds and logos. Cheers, Jim CCRR