Re: Marklin 8993 old style reverse loop....help

  • qrpbob
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 1, 2007
      Brad,

      Thanks for the reply. I am sure your info is correct. Problem is

      there are no numbers on the pieces...I've looked with a 10x magnifier.

      QrpBob
    • Brad Saunders
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 2, 2007
        QrpBob,

        So, I've finally was able to find my set of track and inspect them. My set
        is numbered as I said with the numbers embossed onto the plastic so it must
        be a newer set than yours. I'll try to describe each and maybe you can
        match up what you have to mine.

        Number 1: has diodes such that when the track is upside-down, the diode
        marking (the painted bar vertically across the device) for the upper diode
        is to the right side of the part
        Number 2: no diodes, only gaps
        Number 3: has diodes such that when the track is upside-down, the diode
        marking for the upper diode is to the left side of the part

        Actually, it doesn't matter all that much ... simply make sure that the
        track with only the gaps is installed in the middle and then install in your
        reversing loop. Enter the loop in the direction that you would like it to
        normally go for reversing and if the setup doesn't work as expected (i.e.
        auto-stop followed by re-starting in the right direction once you reverse
        the polarity), then remove the three track assembly to flip around. If it
        doesn't work in that direction either then maybe something is wrong with the
        diodes or the connections.

        Brad

        _____

        Thanks for the reply. I am sure your info is correct. Problem is

        there are no numbers on the pieces...I've looked with a 10x magnifier.

        QrpBob

      • Uwe Liermann
        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 3, 2007
          Hello qrpbob,

          sorry to join in late..

          you wrote:

          > Problem is there are no numbers on the pieces...I've looked with a
          > 10x magnifier.

          and earlier:

          > there are 2 identical tracks with a single gap in the middle, and
          > one track with a single gap about 25mm in from one end. These pieces
          > are not numbered.

          according to this info I come to think that you don't have a reverse
          loop set, but other track pieces. Or at least not a complete set.

          If you check here:

          http://www.maerklin.de/produkte/pdb/index.php

          and type in 8993 into the field in the upper left side named
          "Artikel-Nr.: " (the cursor should be in the correct field when you
          get the website) you will see the correct reverse loop set.

          I have those sets in different ages. With the old "woodstyle" printed
          cardboard box, and the newer ones in brown/orange with the plastic
          holder for the track. Both kind have this big ugly numbered black box
          in the middle, and all track pieces have both rails with a gap in the
          middle. As Brad wrote number two has no diodes, and number one and
          three has two as described. The 25mm track piece is just to get even
          with the track geometry if building a reverse loop with one turnout.

          Unfortunately my scanner isn't working, so I can't scan the "manual".
          There is a website where some of those manuals are available as a
          picture or even as a download. But I can't remember the URL. Maybe
          someone else might know the URL.

          If the gap is only in one rail of the track, then it isn't a reverse
          loop piece. Without a diode it is either a 8588 piece (55mm long) or a
          8598 (110mm long. The old version, and not available anymore). Those
          are to create a track section that can be switched off.

          The tack piece with the gap about 25mm from the end in one rail and a
          diode is included in the different loco shed kits. Those are meant to
          prevent the loco from running of track in the shed. Those pieces
          should be installed so that if going in the loco has enough space
          behind the gap to stand on. Then the loco will stop, and can only run
          out again, but not further into the shed. For this piece there are no
          item# since it is not available single, only in those kits.

          If you need a reverse loop it is easy to create one with the info Brad
          gave about the direction of the diodes. You just need four simple
          diodes and either isolating track connectors, or a cut in the rails at
          the spot you want to install the diodes, to assemble your own reverse
          loop set.

          --
          GreetingZ
          Uwe
          Message 4 of 6 , Feb 13, 2007
            Uwe & Brad,

            Just checked back in to the group. Many thanks for your replies.

            Now I know why I could not get things to work. Thought maybe I

            was getting senile.

            Thanks for your help and clarifications.

            QrpBob