Marklin 8993 old style reverse loop....help

  • qrpbob
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 31, 2007
      Hi all Zed Heads,

      I have run into a snag. I was given an older style Marklin 8993

      reverse loop kit with a single diode across each gap, one gap per

      piece of track. NO INSTRUCTIONS. I have been trying different

      order of pieces but so far no luck. Does anyone have the answer?

      For clarification there are 2 identical tracks with a single gap

      in the middle, and one track with a single gap about 25mm in from

      one end. These pieces are not numbered.

      Help

      QrpBob
    • saundebn@comcast.net
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 31, 2007
        I've got this set at home and have tested it in a trial layout ... my recollection is that the three sectional tracks are numbered 1, 2 & 3 somewhere on them ... simply connect them in numeric order and in the same orientation ... then insert them in the reverse loop path ... to operate, you must enter the reverse loop in the direction which encounters section #1 first ... I seem to remember that the train will stop as you reach the second section after which you can safely reverse the polarity of the power (direction switch or simply turning the knob to the other side on a Marklin pack) in order to proceed through the rest of the reversing section. The smaller piece of track that came with the set is not needed for the reversing function - its provided to allow you to make a complete reverse loop that mates up correctly using only sectional track (as opposed to flex track).

        I hope that my recollections are reasonably accurate ...

        Brad

        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 1, 2007
          Brad,

          Thanks for the reply. I am sure your info is correct. Problem is

          there are no numbers on the pieces...I've looked with a 10x magnifier.

          QrpBob
        • Brad Saunders
          Message 4 of 6 , Feb 2, 2007
            QrpBob,

            So, I've finally was able to find my set of track and inspect them. My set
            is numbered as I said with the numbers embossed onto the plastic so it must
            be a newer set than yours. I'll try to describe each and maybe you can
            match up what you have to mine.

            Number 1: has diodes such that when the track is upside-down, the diode
            marking (the painted bar vertically across the device) for the upper diode
            is to the right side of the part
            Number 2: no diodes, only gaps
            Number 3: has diodes such that when the track is upside-down, the diode
            marking for the upper diode is to the left side of the part

            Actually, it doesn't matter all that much ... simply make sure that the
            track with only the gaps is installed in the middle and then install in your
            reversing loop. Enter the loop in the direction that you would like it to
            normally go for reversing and if the setup doesn't work as expected (i.e.
            auto-stop followed by re-starting in the right direction once you reverse
            the polarity), then remove the three track assembly to flip around. If it
            doesn't work in that direction either then maybe something is wrong with the
            diodes or the connections.

            Brad

            _____

            Thanks for the reply. I am sure your info is correct. Problem is

            there are no numbers on the pieces...I've looked with a 10x magnifier.

            QrpBob

          • Uwe Liermann
            Message 5 of 6 , Feb 3, 2007
              Hello qrpbob,

              sorry to join in late..

              you wrote:

              > Problem is there are no numbers on the pieces...I've looked with a
              > 10x magnifier.

              and earlier:

              > there are 2 identical tracks with a single gap in the middle, and
              > one track with a single gap about 25mm in from one end. These pieces
              > are not numbered.

              according to this info I come to think that you don't have a reverse
              loop set, but other track pieces. Or at least not a complete set.

              If you check here:

              http://www.maerklin.de/produkte/pdb/index.php

              and type in 8993 into the field in the upper left side named
              "Artikel-Nr.: " (the cursor should be in the correct field when you
              get the website) you will see the correct reverse loop set.

              I have those sets in different ages. With the old "woodstyle" printed
              cardboard box, and the newer ones in brown/orange with the plastic
              holder for the track. Both kind have this big ugly numbered black box
              in the middle, and all track pieces have both rails with a gap in the
              middle. As Brad wrote number two has no diodes, and number one and
              three has two as described. The 25mm track piece is just to get even
              with the track geometry if building a reverse loop with one turnout.

              Unfortunately my scanner isn't working, so I can't scan the "manual".
              There is a website where some of those manuals are available as a
              picture or even as a download. But I can't remember the URL. Maybe
              someone else might know the URL.

              If the gap is only in one rail of the track, then it isn't a reverse
              loop piece. Without a diode it is either a 8588 piece (55mm long) or a
              8598 (110mm long. The old version, and not available anymore). Those
              are to create a track section that can be switched off.

              The tack piece with the gap about 25mm from the end in one rail and a
              diode is included in the different loco shed kits. Those are meant to
              prevent the loco from running of track in the shed. Those pieces
              should be installed so that if going in the loco has enough space
              behind the gap to stand on. Then the loco will stop, and can only run
              out again, but not further into the shed. For this piece there are no
              item# since it is not available single, only in those kits.

              If you need a reverse loop it is easy to create one with the info Brad
              gave about the direction of the diodes. You just need four simple
              diodes and either isolating track connectors, or a cut in the rails at
              the spot you want to install the diodes, to assemble your own reverse
              loop set.

              --
              GreetingZ
              Uwe
              Message 6 of 6 , Feb 13, 2007
                Uwe & Brad,

                Just checked back in to the group. Many thanks for your replies.

                Now I know why I could not get things to work. Thought maybe I

                was getting senile.

                Thanks for your help and clarifications.

                QrpBob