Re: Kato In Z, A Different Approach

  • zerstoererx@aol.com
    Message 1 of 13 , Jul 2, 2001
      Without a doubt you're right John, we should harness our collective
      influence and direct it at Kato first and foremost. Do any of you ex-N
      scalers out there remember when Atlas/Kato brought us their RS-3 back
      in 1982-83? Before that N Scale motive power was about as innovative
      as a network TV sitcom plot. (addmittedly the Roco/Atlas stuff was
      decent) Kato is beyond a doubt the finest MASS producer of model
      trains in the world. My brother-in-law snagged a seven car bullet
      train set in Japan for a price that would make us Z scalers cringe!
      Considerably less than $300 USD bought the new "500" Bullet train and
      a Tomix starter track set with auto switches and x-former (kinda like
      Fleischmann's track). Accordingly, my thanks to all who can make it to
      St. Louis to do the "dirty work". If anyone can pull up Z it'll be
      Kato. Has anyone out there ever bought a Kato loco and NOT had it run
      flawlessly and whisper quiet out of the box? I highly doubt it! Again,
      thanks guys - our scale needs the competition!

      Regards,
      John Stueber
      --- In z_scale@y..., jcubbin@o... wrote:
      > I don't know if it's been suggested yet, but rather than just a
      couple of people approaching the Kato booth inquiring about Z, how
      about
      > some sort of petition from this group? There are nearly 400 members
      after all, why not put those numbers to use? No matter how well a
      > single argument can be crafted, I believe several hundred
      individuals inquiring about a product would carry far more weight.

      > This forum and Jeffrey R. MacHan are recognized by the NMRA's SIG,
      this coupled with the voices of those several hundred Z_Scale
      > members would, if not send the Kato folks running to the drawing
      board, might get them to consider dusting it off.

      > The topic has been kicked around, how popular is Z these days. One
      sure acid test is right here. If only 5 or 10 people reply with
      emails,
      > then Kato is right to ignore Z. Let's find out definitively within
      these ranks, how popular
    • Reynard Wellman
      Message 2 of 13 , Jul 2, 2001
        Hello Jeffrey,
        I just voted in your new poll, needless to say, you can guess
        which way I voted. I've got plenty of locomotives, steam, diesel,
        etc. it's just that I get tired of pushing them through those
        Marklin curved turnouts. Is this an electric train set or one of those
        wooden train sets I played with when I was in Kindergarten?

        Best regards,
        Reynard

        Jeffrey MacHan wrote:
        snip

        > New 1st generation road diesel (GP7-9) to complement the F7
        > New 2nd or 3rd generation diesel (SD40 -45)
        > More affordable starter set ($125 - $150)
        > Modern design track and turnouts (Kato style)
        >
        > Cheers,
        > Jeffrey MacHan

      • Reynard Wellman
        Message 3 of 13 , Jul 3, 2001
          Hello John,
          Sometimes I wish I had never heard of KATO, they've
          spoiled me. The quality of the track and locomotives, the ease
          of assembly, wiring, etc. has caused me to make unfair comparisons.

          When N scale first started out (actually in the mid-60's) up until
          the 80's, it was mostly junk, stuff that wouldn't run,
          terrible turnouts, lumpy looking buildings and freight cars.

          KATO lit a fire under the other manufacturers -- get better or starve!

          Z scale needs someone like this to show the others the way.
          I couldn't agree with you more. I've yet to see a KATO product
          perform poorly, unless I threw it accross the room or something.

          Regards,
          Reynard

          zerstoererx@... wrote:

          > Without a doubt you're right John, we should harness our collective
          > influence and direct it at Kato first and foremost. Do any of you ex-N
          >
          > scalers out there remember when Atlas/Kato brought us their RS-3 back
          > in 1982-83? Before that N Scale motive power was about as innovative
          > as a network TV sitcom plot. (addmittedly the Roco/Atlas stuff was
          > decent) Kato is beyond a doubt the finest MASS producer of model
          > trains in the world. My brother-in-law snagged a seven car bullet
          > train set in Japan for a price that would make us Z scalers cringe!
          > Considerably less than $300 USD bought the new "500" Bullet train and
          > a Tomix starter track set with auto switches and x-former (kinda like
          > Fleischmann's track). Accordingly, my thanks to all who can make it to
          >
          > St. Louis to do the "dirty work". If anyone can pull up Z it'll be
          > Kato. Has anyone out there ever bought a Kato loco and NOT had it run
          > flawlessly and whisper quiet out of the box? I highly doubt it! Again,
          >
          > thanks guys - our scale needs the competition!
          >
          > Regards,
          > John Stueber
          > --- In z_scale@y..., jcubbin@o... wrote:
          > > I don't know if it's been suggested yet, but rather than just a
          > couple of people approaching the Kato booth inquiring about Z, how
          > about
          > > some sort of petition from this group? There are nearly 400 members
          > after all, why not put those numbers to use? No matter how well a
          > > single argument can be crafted, I believe several hundred
          > individuals inquiring about a product would carry far more weight.
          > >
          > > This forum and Jeffrey R. MacHan are recognized by the NMRA's SIG,
          > this coupled with the voices of those several hundred Z_Scale
          > > members would, if not send the Kato folks running to the drawing
          > board, might get them to consider dusting it off.
          > >
          > > The topic has been kicked around, how popular is Z these days. One
          > sure acid test is right here. If only 5 or 10 people reply with
          > emails,
          > > then Kato is right to ignore Z. Let's find out definitively within
          > these ranks, how popular

        • Edward Scullin
          Message 4 of 13 , Jul 18, 2001
            At the national train show, several of us Z scalers went over to the
            Kato booth, and inquired as to what plans they had for Z.
            The answer is NOTHING. they stated that their major market (about
            90%) is in Japan, and the rest of the world is only 10% of their
            market. There is no "desire" for Z in Japan, they are satisfied with
            N, so that is where they will say. The comment is that US and other
            prototypes are a very small part of their market. The children in
            Japan are very train conscious in that they grow up with them, ride
            them to and from school and when ever they go anywhere.
            It seems to me that the size reduction between N and Z would e enough
            of a reason since most living spaces are FAQs smaller than we in the
            states are used to. three bedroom apartment with a total of less
            than 1,000 square feet.
            We now need another target, for an Email and possibly leter writing
            campaign. Any suggestions?
            Ed Scullin

            --- Reynard Wellman <micron@...> wrote:
            > Hello John,
            >SNIP
            > When N scale first started out (actually in the mid-60's) up until
            > the 80's, it was mostly junk, stuff that wouldn't run,
            > terrible turnouts, lumpy looking buildings and freight cars.
            >
            > KATO lit a fire under the other manufacturers -- get better or
            > starve!
            >
            > Z scale needs someone like this to show the others the way.
            > I couldn't agree with you more. I've yet to see a KATO product
            > perform poorly, unless I threw it accross the room or something.
            >
            > Regards,
            > Reynard
            >

            > zerstoererx@... wrote:
            >
            > > Without a doubt you're right John, we should harness our
            > collective
            > > influence and direct it at Kato first and foremost. Do any of you
            > ex-N
            > >
            > > scalers out there remember when Atlas/Kato brought us their RS-3
            > back
            > > in 1982-83? Before that N Scale motive power was about as
            > innovative
            > > as a network TV sitcom plot. (addmittedly the Roco/Atlas stuff
            > was
            > > decent) Kato is beyond a doubt the finest MASS producer of model
            > > trains in the world. My brother-in-law snagged a seven car bullet
            > > train set in Japan for a price that would make us Z scalers
            > cringe!
            > > Considerably less than $300 USD bought the new "500" Bullet train
            > and
            > > a Tomix starter track set with auto switches and x-former (kinda
            > like
            > > Fleischmann's track). Accordingly, my thanks to all who can make
            > it to
            > >
            > > St. Louis to do the "dirty work". If anyone can pull up Z it'll
            > be
            > > Kato. Has anyone out there ever bought a Kato loco and NOT had it
            > run
            > > flawlessly and whisper quiet out of the box? I highly doubt it!
            > Again,
            > >
            > > thanks guys - our scale needs the competition!
            > >
            > > Regards,
            > > John Stueber
            > > --- In z_scale@y..., jcubbin@o... wrote:
            > > > I don't know if it's been suggested yet, but rather than just a
            > > couple of people approaching the Kato booth inquiring about Z,
            > how
            > > about
            > > > some sort of petition from this group? There are nearly 400
            > members
            SNIP

            http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/
          • ztrack@aol.com
            Message 5 of 13 , Jul 19, 2001
              I found it interesting that a Kato representative stopped by the Ztrack booth
              at least 6 times to study the Z scale models...

              Rob Kluz

              Ztrack Magazine, Ltd.
              6142 Northcliff Blvd.
              Dublin, OH 43016