Re: [z_scale] Re: Kato In Z, A Different Approach

  • Jeffrey MacHan
    Message 1 of 13 , Jul 2 12:32 AM
      >From: Edward Scullin <sculline@...>
      >To: z_scale@yahoogroups.com
      >Subject: Re: [z_scale] Re: Kato In Z, A Different Approach
      >Date: Sun, 1 Jul 2001 15:52:19 -0700 (PDT)

      Maybe Jeffery
      >McHann could set up an open questionnaire/poll

      Sorry, Ed, I don't think Jeffery McHann will do much of anything...Jeffrey
      MacHan is always willing to lend a hand. ;-)

      It's no problem setting up a poll. We just need a series of items that
      generate interest. Up to now the maximum number of members who have taken
      part in a poll is 86. This is a terrific response rate of about 22%. We
      could make the poll open ended and allow members to chose all the items that
      they wish.

      Or how about 2 polls at the same time...one multiple answers and the other a
      single priority choice?

      New 1st generation road diesel (GP7-9) to complement the F7
      New 2nd or 3rd generation diesel (SD40 -45)
      More affordable starter set ($125 - $150)
      Modern design track and turnouts (Kato style)

      Cheers,
      Jeffrey MacHan
      Message 2 of 13 , Jul 2 7:50 AM
        Without a doubt you're right John, we should harness our collective
        influence and direct it at Kato first and foremost. Do any of you ex-N
        scalers out there remember when Atlas/Kato brought us their RS-3 back
        in 1982-83? Before that N Scale motive power was about as innovative
        as a network TV sitcom plot. (addmittedly the Roco/Atlas stuff was
        decent) Kato is beyond a doubt the finest MASS producer of model
        trains in the world. My brother-in-law snagged a seven car bullet
        train set in Japan for a price that would make us Z scalers cringe!
        Considerably less than $300 USD bought the new "500" Bullet train and
        a Tomix starter track set with auto switches and x-former (kinda like
        Fleischmann's track). Accordingly, my thanks to all who can make it to
        St. Louis to do the "dirty work". If anyone can pull up Z it'll be
        Kato. Has anyone out there ever bought a Kato loco and NOT had it run
        flawlessly and whisper quiet out of the box? I highly doubt it! Again,
        thanks guys - our scale needs the competition!

        Regards,
        John Stueber
        --- In z_scale@y..., jcubbin@o... wrote:
        > I don't know if it's been suggested yet, but rather than just a
        couple of people approaching the Kato booth inquiring about Z, how
        about
        > some sort of petition from this group? There are nearly 400 members
        after all, why not put those numbers to use? No matter how well a
        > single argument can be crafted, I believe several hundred
        individuals inquiring about a product would carry far more weight.

        > This forum and Jeffrey R. MacHan are recognized by the NMRA's SIG,
        this coupled with the voices of those several hundred Z_Scale
        > members would, if not send the Kato folks running to the drawing
        board, might get them to consider dusting it off.

        > The topic has been kicked around, how popular is Z these days. One
        sure acid test is right here. If only 5 or 10 people reply with
        emails,
        > then Kato is right to ignore Z. Let's find out definitively within
        these ranks, how popular
      • Reynard Wellman
        Message 3 of 13 , Jul 2 8:56 AM
          Hello Jeffrey,
          I just voted in your new poll, needless to say, you can guess
          which way I voted. I've got plenty of locomotives, steam, diesel,
          etc. it's just that I get tired of pushing them through those
          Marklin curved turnouts. Is this an electric train set or one of those
          wooden train sets I played with when I was in Kindergarten?

          Best regards,
          Reynard

          Jeffrey MacHan wrote:
          snip

          > New 1st generation road diesel (GP7-9) to complement the F7
          > New 2nd or 3rd generation diesel (SD40 -45)
          > More affordable starter set ($125 - $150)
          > Modern design track and turnouts (Kato style)
          >
          > Cheers,
          > Jeffrey MacHan

        • Reynard Wellman
          Message 4 of 13 , Jul 3 11:30 PM
            Hello John,
            Sometimes I wish I had never heard of KATO, they've
            spoiled me. The quality of the track and locomotives, the ease
            of assembly, wiring, etc. has caused me to make unfair comparisons.

            When N scale first started out (actually in the mid-60's) up until
            the 80's, it was mostly junk, stuff that wouldn't run,
            terrible turnouts, lumpy looking buildings and freight cars.

            KATO lit a fire under the other manufacturers -- get better or starve!

            Z scale needs someone like this to show the others the way.
            I couldn't agree with you more. I've yet to see a KATO product
            perform poorly, unless I threw it accross the room or something.

            Regards,
            Reynard

            zerstoererx@... wrote:

            > Without a doubt you're right John, we should harness our collective
            > influence and direct it at Kato first and foremost. Do any of you ex-N
            >
            > scalers out there remember when Atlas/Kato brought us their RS-3 back
            > in 1982-83? Before that N Scale motive power was about as innovative
            > as a network TV sitcom plot. (addmittedly the Roco/Atlas stuff was
            > decent) Kato is beyond a doubt the finest MASS producer of model
            > trains in the world. My brother-in-law snagged a seven car bullet
            > train set in Japan for a price that would make us Z scalers cringe!
            > Considerably less than $300 USD bought the new "500" Bullet train and
            > a Tomix starter track set with auto switches and x-former (kinda like
            > Fleischmann's track). Accordingly, my thanks to all who can make it to
            >
            > St. Louis to do the "dirty work". If anyone can pull up Z it'll be
            > Kato. Has anyone out there ever bought a Kato loco and NOT had it run
            > flawlessly and whisper quiet out of the box? I highly doubt it! Again,
            >
            > thanks guys - our scale needs the competition!
            >
            > Regards,
            > John Stueber
            > --- In z_scale@y..., jcubbin@o... wrote:
            > > I don't know if it's been suggested yet, but rather than just a
            > couple of people approaching the Kato booth inquiring about Z, how
            > about
            > > some sort of petition from this group? There are nearly 400 members
            > after all, why not put those numbers to use? No matter how well a
            > > single argument can be crafted, I believe several hundred
            > individuals inquiring about a product would carry far more weight.
            > >
            > > This forum and Jeffrey R. MacHan are recognized by the NMRA's SIG,
            > this coupled with the voices of those several hundred Z_Scale
            > > members would, if not send the Kato folks running to the drawing
            > board, might get them to consider dusting it off.
            > >
            > > The topic has been kicked around, how popular is Z these days. One
            > sure acid test is right here. If only 5 or 10 people reply with
            > emails,
            > > then Kato is right to ignore Z. Let's find out definitively within
            > these ranks, how popular

          • Edward Scullin
            Message 5 of 13 , Jul 18 8:57 AM
              At the national train show, several of us Z scalers went over to the
              Kato booth, and inquired as to what plans they had for Z.
              The answer is NOTHING. they stated that their major market (about
              90%) is in Japan, and the rest of the world is only 10% of their
              market. There is no "desire" for Z in Japan, they are satisfied with
              N, so that is where they will say. The comment is that US and other
              prototypes are a very small part of their market. The children in
              Japan are very train conscious in that they grow up with them, ride
              them to and from school and when ever they go anywhere.
              It seems to me that the size reduction between N and Z would e enough
              of a reason since most living spaces are FAQs smaller than we in the
              states are used to. three bedroom apartment with a total of less
              than 1,000 square feet.
              We now need another target, for an Email and possibly leter writing
              campaign. Any suggestions?
              Ed Scullin

              --- Reynard Wellman <micron@...> wrote:
              > Hello John,
              >SNIP
              > When N scale first started out (actually in the mid-60's) up until
              > the 80's, it was mostly junk, stuff that wouldn't run,
              > terrible turnouts, lumpy looking buildings and freight cars.
              >
              > KATO lit a fire under the other manufacturers -- get better or
              > starve!
              >
              > Z scale needs someone like this to show the others the way.
              > I couldn't agree with you more. I've yet to see a KATO product
              > perform poorly, unless I threw it accross the room or something.
              >
              > Regards,
              > Reynard
              >

              > zerstoererx@... wrote:
              >
              > > Without a doubt you're right John, we should harness our
              > collective
              > > influence and direct it at Kato first and foremost. Do any of you
              > ex-N
              > >
              > > scalers out there remember when Atlas/Kato brought us their RS-3
              > back
              > > in 1982-83? Before that N Scale motive power was about as
              > innovative
              > > as a network TV sitcom plot. (addmittedly the Roco/Atlas stuff
              > was
              > > decent) Kato is beyond a doubt the finest MASS producer of model
              > > trains in the world. My brother-in-law snagged a seven car bullet
              > > train set in Japan for a price that would make us Z scalers
              > cringe!
              > > Considerably less than $300 USD bought the new "500" Bullet train
              > and
              > > a Tomix starter track set with auto switches and x-former (kinda
              > like
              > > Fleischmann's track). Accordingly, my thanks to all who can make
              > it to
              > >
              > > St. Louis to do the "dirty work". If anyone can pull up Z it'll
              > be
              > > Kato. Has anyone out there ever bought a Kato loco and NOT had it
              > run
              > > flawlessly and whisper quiet out of the box? I highly doubt it!
              > Again,
              > >
              > > thanks guys - our scale needs the competition!
              > >
              > > Regards,
              > > John Stueber
              > > --- In z_scale@y..., jcubbin@o... wrote:
              > > > I don't know if it's been suggested yet, but rather than just a
              > > couple of people approaching the Kato booth inquiring about Z,
              > how
              > > about
              > > > some sort of petition from this group? There are nearly 400
              > members
              SNIP

              http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/
            • ztrack@aol.com
              Message 6 of 13 , Jul 19 6:45 PM
                I found it interesting that a Kato representative stopped by the Ztrack booth
                at least 6 times to study the Z scale models...

                Rob Kluz

                Ztrack Magazine, Ltd.
                6142 Northcliff Blvd.
                Dublin, OH 43016