Re: Code 40 or 55

  • dgsteve@altavista.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 1, 2001
      Hi Roy, wanted to ask what kind of track spikes if any you use. I was
      adding the spike head for clearance, should the rail be spiked or
      fastened some other way? The micro train trucks do clear well after
      second test.

      --- In z_scale@y..., jmac_han@h... wrote:
      > Thanks for putting me straight on the code 40 - flange issue. I'll
      > use the unweathered code 40 that I have for the hand laying job I
      > have ahead of me. I'm glad to know that there is an expert on the
      > list if I run into trouble...assuming I can call you for help ;-)
      >
      > ******
      >
      > I would tend to agree that the introduction of a Kato Z track line
      > would impact on Märklin's snap track and not have any effect on
      > Halwa for instance.
      >
      > So if I am reading the last series of postings correctly, we are
      > looking for the following developments in Z:
      >
      > - an attractively priced Z starter set
      > - getting Z starter sets into hobby shops in order to hook future
      > Zs
      > - sowing the seed of a Kato like line of Z track, reliable, easy to
      > use, good looking
      > - getting the word out that Z is a FUN, viable and growing scale
      > - above all, get the new Zs to join Z_Scale where there is
      > strength in numbers
      >
      > Cheers,
      > Jeffrey MacHan
      >
      > --- In z_scale@y..., "Roy Stevens" <riogrande5771@h...> wrote:
      > > All,
      > >
      > > Don't worry about your Marklin flanges hitting bottom on code
      > 40 trackwork,
      > > it simply won't happen. There's a good ten thou of clearance
      > with Marklin
      > > stuff, and twenty thou with Micro-Trains rolling stock. I've
      used
      > code 40
      > > exclusively and have had no trouble, there's even plenty of play
      > as far as
      > > gauge goes. I've laid it all the way down to 4" radius too. If
      you
      > want to
      > > solder it STAY AWAY FROM THE PRE-WEATHERED STUFF,
      > it's a nightmare to try to
      > > handlay and it doesn't stay clean.
      > > As far as Reynard's prediction of Kato track decimating the
      > Z-Scale track
      > > market, my reply is "what Z Scale track market?" It certainly
      > won't
      > > decimate anyone trying to lay good looking close-to-scale
      > track. Kato's
      > > introduction in the N-Scale market certainly put a ding in
      Atlas's
      > snap
      > > track sales, but Micro-Engineering with it's code 55 and 40
      > offerings is
      > > going strong.
      > >
      > > Roy Stevens
    • Michael Chenoweth
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 1, 2001
        Steve,
        Roy's statement about flange clearance using code 40 holds true because
        code 40 has to be laid without using track spikes. The Marklin flanges will
        ride on the spike heads. Every 5th tie is a pc tie and the rails are simply
        soldered to the ties. The ties are glued to the cork(or whatever), ballasted,
        sanded flat and the rails soldered on. Here's a closeup of a finished section
        of my Nn3 track, but the same would apply for Z.
        http://www.mtco.com/~ngntw/Mainlinecode40.jpg
        Turnouts can be fashioned in the same manner, although I now use all pc ties
        for the turnouts. Here is an Nn3 code 40 turnout,
        http://www.mtco.com/~ngntw/5LHNn3Turnout.jpg
        and here are some I made up to mate with flextrack,
        http://www.mtco.com/~ngntw/flextrackturnouts.htm
        Maybe Roy will send a link to some of the head scratching dual gauge code 40
        turnouts that he has laid........they're works of art.....
        Mike