Re: [z_scale] Code 40 or 55

  • Roy Stevens
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 1, 2001
      All,

      Don't worry about your Marklin flanges hitting bottom on code 40 trackwork,
      it simply won't happen. There's a good ten thou of clearance with Marklin
      stuff, and twenty thou with Micro-Trains rolling stock. I've used code 40
      exclusively and have had no trouble, there's even plenty of play as far as
      gauge goes. I've laid it all the way down to 4" radius too. If you want to
      solder it STAY AWAY FROM THE PRE-WEATHERED STUFF, it's a nightmare to try to
      handlay and it doesn't stay clean.
      As far as Reynard's prediction of Kato track decimating the Z-Scale track
      market, my reply is "what Z Scale track market?" It certainly won't
      decimate anyone trying to lay good looking close-to-scale track. Kato's
      introduction in the N-Scale market certainly put a ding in Atlas's snap
      track sales, but Micro-Engineering with it's code 55 and 40 offerings is
      going strong.

      Roy Stevens
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 1, 2001
        Thanks for putting me straight on the code 40 - flange issue. I'll
        use the unweathered code 40 that I have for the hand laying job I
        have ahead of me. I'm glad to know that there is an expert on the
        list if I run into trouble...assuming I can call you for help ;-)

        ******

        I would tend to agree that the introduction of a Kato Z track line
        would impact on Märklin's snap track and not have any effect on
        Halwa for instance.

        So if I am reading the last series of postings correctly, we are
        looking for the following developments in Z:

        - an attractively priced Z starter set
        - getting Z starter sets into hobby shops in order to hook future
        Zs
        - sowing the seed of a Kato like line of Z track, reliable, easy to
        use, good looking
        - getting the word out that Z is a FUN, viable and growing scale
        - above all, get the new Zs to join Z_Scale where there is
        strength in numbers

        Cheers,
        Jeffrey MacHan

      • dgsteve@altavista.com
        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 1, 2001
          Hi Roy, wanted to ask what kind of track spikes if any you use. I was
          adding the spike head for clearance, should the rail be spiked or
          fastened some other way? The micro train trucks do clear well after
          second test.

        • Michael Chenoweth
          Message 4 of 4 , Jul 1, 2001
            Steve,
            Roy's statement about flange clearance using code 40 holds true because
            code 40 has to be laid without using track spikes. The Marklin flanges will
            ride on the spike heads. Every 5th tie is a pc tie and the rails are simply
            soldered to the ties. The ties are glued to the cork(or whatever), ballasted,
            sanded flat and the rails soldered on. Here's a closeup of a finished section
            of my Nn3 track, but the same would apply for Z.
            http://www.mtco.com/~ngntw/Mainlinecode40.jpg
            Turnouts can be fashioned in the same manner, although I now use all pc ties
            for the turnouts. Here is an Nn3 code 40 turnout,
            http://www.mtco.com/~ngntw/5LHNn3Turnout.jpg
            and here are some I made up to mate with flextrack,
            http://www.mtco.com/~ngntw/flextrackturnouts.htm
            Maybe Roy will send a link to some of the head scratching dual gauge code 40
            turnouts that he has laid........they're works of art.....
            Mike