Re: Kato In Z, A Different Approach

  • ddechamp71@yahoo.fr
    Message 1 of 13 , Jul 1, 2001
      --- In z_scale@y..., jcubbin@o... wrote:
      > I don't know if it's been suggested yet, but rather than just a
      couple of people approaching the Kato booth inquiring about Z, how
      about
      > some sort of petition from this group? There are nearly 400 members
      after all, why not put those numbers to use? No matter how well a
      > single argument can be crafted, I believe several hundred
      individuals inquiring about a product would carry far more weight.

      > This forum and Jeffrey R. MacHan are recognized by the NMRA's SIG,
      this coupled with the voices of those several hundred Z_Scale
      > members would, if not send the Kato folks running to the drawing
      board, might get them to consider dusting it off.

      > The topic has been kicked around, how popular is Z these days. One
      sure acid test is right here. If only 5 or 10 people reply with
      emails,
      > then Kato is right to ignore Z. Let's find out definitively within
      these ranks, how popular is Z?

      > John Cubbin

      John, I totally agree with you. Sadly I won't be able to come in St
      Louis (and I suppose I'm not isolated in this case). So I think that
      we have to debate on this Group, to be at the end on the same "wave
      lenght" about a desired product, and to send this "petition" to Kato,
      Atlas, Micro-Trains, Bachmann, etc.......Is it that? If yes, my
      choice is: first SD40/45, second SD9/GP9.
      Cheers.
      Dominique, Froggie/ rotten cheese eater from Paris, France
    • dannyg@dannyg.com
      Message 2 of 13 , Jul 1, 2001
        --- In z_scale@y..., jcubbin@o... wrote:
        > I don't know if it's been suggested yet, but rather than just a couple of people approaching the Kato booth inquiring about Z, how about
        > some sort of petition from this group?

        While it can't hurt to start a buZZ going, I sense that for an
        established company like Kato to get into a new gauge, there must be
        one or more people in the company who will champion the idea. Someone
        on the inside has to be passionate about Z to make the business case
        for it. So, if you talk to execs from Kato and the like, listen
        carefully for clues as to who those insiders might be.

        Danny
        http://www.dannyg.com
      • jcubbin@optonline.net
        Message 3 of 13 , Jul 1, 2001
          Danny,

          You may be completey correct in your sense of how a new Z line would be introduced by a company such as Kato, I don't have the
          large company experience to tell. As you said, it can't hurt to start a buzz, that's exactly what I propose. I think this possible buzz would
          only be a single element in the bigger picture, and given my (and many Z practitioners) lack of contacts or specific knowledge of a
          company like Kato... being a single element in the evolution of Z sounds pretty good.

          BTW, a big fan of your books, although my Macs still don't have a handle on Javascript!

          John Cubbin
          http://www.istreamnetwork.com

          > While it can't hurt to start a buZZ going, I sense that for an
          > established company like Kato to get into a new gauge, there must be
          > one or more people in the company who will champion the idea. Someone
          > on the inside has to be passionate about Z to make the business case
          > for it. So, if you talk to execs from Kato and the like, listen
          > carefully for clues as to who those insiders might be.
          >
          > Danny
          > http://www.dannyg.com
        • Robert Allbritton
          Message 4 of 13 , Jul 1, 2001
            Danny,

            I agree. Targeting a single manufacture is indeed a good idea, but I fear it
            will take more grassroots campaigning than resources are available to get a
            company of Kato's size to plunge into a new scale. It will be a gigantic
            commitment on Kato's part to make the investment for tooling, marketing, and
            design, to get them into Z on the basis that I think folks are hoping for.
            The only way is to have someone on the inside who evangelizes the idea, and
            even then, it must be someone with decision making power. I think you are
            right: find the key man and get him (or her) on the Z bandwagon.

            Step #1 is showing that Z *is* in fact a viable scale, and I think the best
            way to do that is to get inexpensive starter sets in the hands of as many
            people as possible. There is a reason Marklin charges about $300 for a
            complete starter set with track, power pack, loco, and rolling stock while
            the loco alone is $225 - take a lower margin to get people on board (no pun
            intended, but enjoyed!) Even if the conversion rate of starter set owners to
            true fans is less than 10%, that 10% will expand Z faster than anything
            else. I could have just as easily gotten into N when I got into model
            railroads, but Z was available, sitting there, and cute as can be (or at
            least that's what my girlfriend told me)

            There is also something to be said for being the smallest in the store. It
            *will* attract attention based on size alone (same theory for our Garden
            railway fans) But it needs to be in the store before people will buy it.
            Ebay has not helped from that perspective.

            I think Z can, one day, be the 3rd scale, but it will take everyone pushing
            on all fronts to make it happen.

            Best,
            -Rob

            > I don't know if it's been suggested yet, but rather than just a couple of
            people approaching the Kato booth inquiring about Z, how about
            > some sort of petition from this group?

            While it can't hurt to start a buZZ going, I sense that for an
            established company like Kato to get into a new gauge, there must be
            one or more people in the company who will champion the idea. Someone
            on the inside has to be passionate about Z to make the business case
            for it. So, if you talk to execs from Kato and the like, listen
            carefully for clues as to who those insiders might be.

            Danny
            http://www.dannyg.com

          • Jeffrey MacHan
            Message 5 of 13 , Jul 1, 2001
              Danny, you are absolutely correct...no champion, no joy!

              I'll be listening very carefully to be sure. I'll keep the list informed of
              how things develop at St. Louis.

              JRM

              >From: dannyg@...
              >To: z_scale@yahoogroups.com
              >Subject: [z_scale] Re: Kato In Z, A Different Approach
              >Date: Sun, 01 Jul 2001 14:06:04 -0000
              >
              >--- In z_scale@y..., jcubbin@o... wrote:
              > > I don't know if it's been suggested yet, but rather than just a couple
              >of people approaching the Kato booth inquiring about Z, how about
              > > some sort of petition from this group?
              >
              >While it can't hurt to start a buZZ going, I sense that for an
              >established company like Kato to get into a new gauge, there must be
              >one or more people in the company who will champion the idea. Someone
              >on the inside has to be passionate about Z to make the business case
              >for it. So, if you talk to execs from Kato and the like, listen
              >carefully for clues as to who those insiders might be.
              >
              >Danny
              >http://www.dannyg.com

            • Edward Scullin
              Message 6 of 13 , Jul 1, 2001
                Sounds to me like this is the time for Rob Kluz to step in and send
                out with his next issue a petition or questionaire as to what we
                want or need if we could convince somebody like Kato to get into Z.
                IE should the concentrate on trackwork or engines etc
                Maybe we could get some of the other Z scale publications
                /newsletters to follow suit ( Z club GB and Z club) Maybe Jeffery
                McHann could set up an open questionnaire/poll as to what people
                would buy or want, and realistically what we would pay for it.
                Ed Scullin

                --- dannyg@... wrote:
                > --- In z_scale@y..., jcubbin@o... wrote:
                > > I don't know if it's been suggested yet, but rather than just a
                > couple of people approaching the Kato booth inquiring about Z, how
                > about
                > > some sort of petition from this group?
                >
                > While it can't hurt to start a buZZ going, I sense that for an
                > established company like Kato to get into a new gauge, there must
                > be
                > one or more people in the company who will champion the idea.
                > Someone
                > on the inside has to be passionate about Z to make the business
                > case
                > for it. So, if you talk to execs from Kato and the like, listen
                > carefully for clues as to who those insiders might be.
                >
                > Danny
                > http://www.dannyg.com

                http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/
              • Jeffrey MacHan
                Message 7 of 13 , Jul 1, 2001
                  >From: Edward Scullin <sculline@...>
                  >To: z_scale@yahoogroups.com
                  >Subject: Re: [z_scale] Re: Kato In Z, A Different Approach
                  >Date: Sun, 1 Jul 2001 15:52:19 -0700 (PDT)

                  Maybe Jeffery
                  >McHann could set up an open questionnaire/poll

                  Sorry, Ed, I don't think Jeffery McHann will do much of anything...Jeffrey
                  MacHan is always willing to lend a hand. ;-)

                  It's no problem setting up a poll. We just need a series of items that
                  generate interest. Up to now the maximum number of members who have taken
                  part in a poll is 86. This is a terrific response rate of about 22%. We
                  could make the poll open ended and allow members to chose all the items that
                  they wish.

                  Or how about 2 polls at the same time...one multiple answers and the other a
                  single priority choice?

                  New 1st generation road diesel (GP7-9) to complement the F7
                  New 2nd or 3rd generation diesel (SD40 -45)
                  More affordable starter set ($125 - $150)
                  Modern design track and turnouts (Kato style)

                  Cheers,
                  Jeffrey MacHan
                  Message 8 of 13 , Jul 2, 2001
                    Without a doubt you're right John, we should harness our collective
                    influence and direct it at Kato first and foremost. Do any of you ex-N
                    scalers out there remember when Atlas/Kato brought us their RS-3 back
                    in 1982-83? Before that N Scale motive power was about as innovative
                    as a network TV sitcom plot. (addmittedly the Roco/Atlas stuff was
                    decent) Kato is beyond a doubt the finest MASS producer of model
                    trains in the world. My brother-in-law snagged a seven car bullet
                    train set in Japan for a price that would make us Z scalers cringe!
                    Considerably less than $300 USD bought the new "500" Bullet train and
                    a Tomix starter track set with auto switches and x-former (kinda like
                    Fleischmann's track). Accordingly, my thanks to all who can make it to
                    St. Louis to do the "dirty work". If anyone can pull up Z it'll be
                    Kato. Has anyone out there ever bought a Kato loco and NOT had it run
                    flawlessly and whisper quiet out of the box? I highly doubt it! Again,
                    thanks guys - our scale needs the competition!

                    Regards,
                    John Stueber
                    --- In z_scale@y..., jcubbin@o... wrote:
                    > I don't know if it's been suggested yet, but rather than just a
                    couple of people approaching the Kato booth inquiring about Z, how
                    about
                    > some sort of petition from this group? There are nearly 400 members
                    after all, why not put those numbers to use? No matter how well a
                    > single argument can be crafted, I believe several hundred
                    individuals inquiring about a product would carry far more weight.

                    > This forum and Jeffrey R. MacHan are recognized by the NMRA's SIG,
                    this coupled with the voices of those several hundred Z_Scale
                    > members would, if not send the Kato folks running to the drawing
                    board, might get them to consider dusting it off.

                    > The topic has been kicked around, how popular is Z these days. One
                    sure acid test is right here. If only 5 or 10 people reply with
                    emails,
                    > then Kato is right to ignore Z. Let's find out definitively within
                    these ranks, how popular
                  • Reynard Wellman
                    Message 9 of 13 , Jul 2, 2001
                      Hello Jeffrey,
                      I just voted in your new poll, needless to say, you can guess
                      which way I voted. I've got plenty of locomotives, steam, diesel,
                      etc. it's just that I get tired of pushing them through those
                      Marklin curved turnouts. Is this an electric train set or one of those
                      wooden train sets I played with when I was in Kindergarten?

                      Best regards,
                      Reynard

                      Jeffrey MacHan wrote:
                      snip

                      > New 1st generation road diesel (GP7-9) to complement the F7
                      > New 2nd or 3rd generation diesel (SD40 -45)
                      > More affordable starter set ($125 - $150)
                      > Modern design track and turnouts (Kato style)
                      >
                      > Cheers,
                      > Jeffrey MacHan

                    • Reynard Wellman
                      Message 10 of 13 , Jul 3, 2001
                        Hello John,
                        Sometimes I wish I had never heard of KATO, they've
                        spoiled me. The quality of the track and locomotives, the ease
                        of assembly, wiring, etc. has caused me to make unfair comparisons.

                        When N scale first started out (actually in the mid-60's) up until
                        the 80's, it was mostly junk, stuff that wouldn't run,
                        terrible turnouts, lumpy looking buildings and freight cars.

                        KATO lit a fire under the other manufacturers -- get better or starve!

                        Z scale needs someone like this to show the others the way.
                        I couldn't agree with you more. I've yet to see a KATO product
                        perform poorly, unless I threw it accross the room or something.

                        Regards,
                        Reynard

                        zerstoererx@... wrote:

                        > Without a doubt you're right John, we should harness our collective
                        > influence and direct it at Kato first and foremost. Do any of you ex-N
                        >
                        > scalers out there remember when Atlas/Kato brought us their RS-3 back
                        > in 1982-83? Before that N Scale motive power was about as innovative
                        > as a network TV sitcom plot. (addmittedly the Roco/Atlas stuff was
                        > decent) Kato is beyond a doubt the finest MASS producer of model
                        > trains in the world. My brother-in-law snagged a seven car bullet
                        > train set in Japan for a price that would make us Z scalers cringe!
                        > Considerably less than $300 USD bought the new "500" Bullet train and
                        > a Tomix starter track set with auto switches and x-former (kinda like
                        > Fleischmann's track). Accordingly, my thanks to all who can make it to
                        >
                        > St. Louis to do the "dirty work". If anyone can pull up Z it'll be
                        > Kato. Has anyone out there ever bought a Kato loco and NOT had it run
                        > flawlessly and whisper quiet out of the box? I highly doubt it! Again,
                        >
                        > thanks guys - our scale needs the competition!
                        >
                        > Regards,
                        > John Stueber
                        > --- In z_scale@y..., jcubbin@o... wrote:
                        > > I don't know if it's been suggested yet, but rather than just a
                        > couple of people approaching the Kato booth inquiring about Z, how
                        > about
                        > > some sort of petition from this group? There are nearly 400 members
                        > after all, why not put those numbers to use? No matter how well a
                        > > single argument can be crafted, I believe several hundred
                        > individuals inquiring about a product would carry far more weight.
                        > >
                        > > This forum and Jeffrey R. MacHan are recognized by the NMRA's SIG,
                        > this coupled with the voices of those several hundred Z_Scale
                        > > members would, if not send the Kato folks running to the drawing
                        > board, might get them to consider dusting it off.
                        > >
                        > > The topic has been kicked around, how popular is Z these days. One
                        > sure acid test is right here. If only 5 or 10 people reply with
                        > emails,
                        > > then Kato is right to ignore Z. Let's find out definitively within
                        > these ranks, how popular

                      • Edward Scullin
                        Message 11 of 13 , Jul 18, 2001
                          At the national train show, several of us Z scalers went over to the
                          Kato booth, and inquired as to what plans they had for Z.
                          The answer is NOTHING. they stated that their major market (about
                          90%) is in Japan, and the rest of the world is only 10% of their
                          market. There is no "desire" for Z in Japan, they are satisfied with
                          N, so that is where they will say. The comment is that US and other
                          prototypes are a very small part of their market. The children in
                          Japan are very train conscious in that they grow up with them, ride
                          them to and from school and when ever they go anywhere.
                          It seems to me that the size reduction between N and Z would e enough
                          of a reason since most living spaces are FAQs smaller than we in the
                          states are used to. three bedroom apartment with a total of less
                          than 1,000 square feet.
                          We now need another target, for an Email and possibly leter writing
                          campaign. Any suggestions?
                          Ed Scullin

                          --- Reynard Wellman <micron@...> wrote:
                          > Hello John,
                          >SNIP
                          > When N scale first started out (actually in the mid-60's) up until
                          > the 80's, it was mostly junk, stuff that wouldn't run,
                          > terrible turnouts, lumpy looking buildings and freight cars.
                          >
                          > KATO lit a fire under the other manufacturers -- get better or
                          > starve!
                          >
                          > Z scale needs someone like this to show the others the way.
                          > I couldn't agree with you more. I've yet to see a KATO product
                          > perform poorly, unless I threw it accross the room or something.
                          >
                          > Regards,
                          > Reynard
                          >

                          > zerstoererx@... wrote:
                          >
                          > > Without a doubt you're right John, we should harness our
                          > collective
                          > > influence and direct it at Kato first and foremost. Do any of you
                          > ex-N
                          > >
                          > > scalers out there remember when Atlas/Kato brought us their RS-3
                          > back
                          > > in 1982-83? Before that N Scale motive power was about as
                          > innovative
                          > > as a network TV sitcom plot. (addmittedly the Roco/Atlas stuff
                          > was
                          > > decent) Kato is beyond a doubt the finest MASS producer of model
                          > > trains in the world. My brother-in-law snagged a seven car bullet
                          > > train set in Japan for a price that would make us Z scalers
                          > cringe!
                          > > Considerably less than $300 USD bought the new "500" Bullet train
                          > and
                          > > a Tomix starter track set with auto switches and x-former (kinda
                          > like
                          > > Fleischmann's track). Accordingly, my thanks to all who can make
                          > it to
                          > >
                          > > St. Louis to do the "dirty work". If anyone can pull up Z it'll
                          > be
                          > > Kato. Has anyone out there ever bought a Kato loco and NOT had it
                          > run
                          > > flawlessly and whisper quiet out of the box? I highly doubt it!
                          > Again,
                          > >
                          > > thanks guys - our scale needs the competition!
                          > >
                          > > Regards,
                          > > John Stueber
                          > > --- In z_scale@y..., jcubbin@o... wrote:
                          > > > I don't know if it's been suggested yet, but rather than just a
                          > > couple of people approaching the Kato booth inquiring about Z,
                          > how
                          > > about
                          > > > some sort of petition from this group? There are nearly 400
                          > members
                          SNIP

                        • ztrack@aol.com
                          Message 12 of 13 , Jul 19, 2001
                            I found it interesting that a Kato representative stopped by the Ztrack booth
                            at least 6 times to study the Z scale models...

                            Rob Kluz

                            Ztrack Magazine, Ltd.
                            6142 Northcliff Blvd.
                            Dublin, OH 43016