RE: [z_scale] Rick Duncan's Father's Day Gift on Cover Page

  • Rick and Patsy Duncan
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 1, 2001
      I may be a man of few words, but I have a wonderful wife who loves me and
      understands and supports my interest in trains of all sizes (I have Z, HO
      and O [Lionel 3-rail layouts]). She has taken some great photos during
      railfanning trips.

      That 2-10-0 is a great running engine, but I now have observed that only the
      front and rear driving axles actually have good contact with the rail,
      resulting is wheel slip if I load it with too many cars.

      Back on topic, I got out the magnifying glass (10x) and checked that very
      small lettering near the front of the tender - IT'S LEGIBLE! I don't know
      all the abbreviations, but here's what I found: (Use a constant width font
      to make things line up properly.)

      Gewicht Lok u Tender 140 t
      P 124 t
      G 82 t
      Hd 20 t
      3
      Wasser 30 m [that's meters cubed, or cubic meters]
      Kohle 10 t

      Kbr(P-G)mZ
      Brun+Kd 17 5 55

      I think all that means the total weight is 140 (metric) tons, the tender
      will hold 30 cubic meters of water and 10 (metric) tons of coal. The bottom
      line (which also appears on the locomotive cab) looks like a build or
      rebuild date or a service date. The rest escapes me. Can someone provide
      the meaning of the other lines (and correct any misconceptions)?

      The '3' in the cubic meter mark was even smaller than the rest of the
      lettering. A lot of my HO scale cars don't have lettering as clear as
      Märklin produces. Our American manufacturers could take a lesson in this
      area.

      Rick Duncan,
      Superintendent, Duncan District, ATSFRY
      [A fictitious district of the Santa Fe.]