Rick Duncan's Father's Day Gift on Cover Page

  • jmac_han@hotmail.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 30, 2001
      Hi Gang,

      This week's cover page photo has been sent in by Rick Duncan
      and shows his new toy, thanks to his wife's thoughtfulness on
      last Father's Day, June 17.

      Click on the image to see the larger photo from
      http://groups.yahoo.com/group/z_scale

      *****
      Rick writes:

      Here's my Father's Day present, scanned, ÖBB locomotive,
      class 52 (2-10-0).

      <Rick is a man of few words.>

      *****

      Last week's image featured a series of 4 photos of Ian Blease's
      home layout under construction with some interesting scenic
      possibilities.

      You can still see all the preceding cover photos at:

      ************
      As always, fellow Zealots, we are always happy to post your
      layout, model or diorama photos on the Z_Scale cover page.
      Upload them to the 'Files - Cover Photos' section or send them
      to the listowner via email.

      Happy modeling,
      Jeffrey MacHan
      CEO Val Ease Central Railroad
    • Rick and Patsy Duncan
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 1, 2001
        I may be a man of few words, but I have a wonderful wife who loves me and
        understands and supports my interest in trains of all sizes (I have Z, HO
        and O [Lionel 3-rail layouts]). She has taken some great photos during
        railfanning trips.

        That 2-10-0 is a great running engine, but I now have observed that only the
        front and rear driving axles actually have good contact with the rail,
        resulting is wheel slip if I load it with too many cars.

        Back on topic, I got out the magnifying glass (10x) and checked that very
        small lettering near the front of the tender - IT'S LEGIBLE! I don't know
        all the abbreviations, but here's what I found: (Use a constant width font
        to make things line up properly.)

        Gewicht Lok u Tender 140 t
        P 124 t
        G 82 t
        Hd 20 t
        3
        Wasser 30 m [that's meters cubed, or cubic meters]
        Kohle 10 t

        Kbr(P-G)mZ
        Brun+Kd 17 5 55

        I think all that means the total weight is 140 (metric) tons, the tender
        will hold 30 cubic meters of water and 10 (metric) tons of coal. The bottom
        line (which also appears on the locomotive cab) looks like a build or
        rebuild date or a service date. The rest escapes me. Can someone provide
        the meaning of the other lines (and correct any misconceptions)?

        The '3' in the cubic meter mark was even smaller than the rest of the
        lettering. A lot of my HO scale cars don't have lettering as clear as
        Märklin produces. Our American manufacturers could take a lesson in this
        area.

        Rick Duncan,
        Superintendent, Duncan District, ATSFRY
        [A fictitious district of the Santa Fe.]