Hello List/question

  • webffm@yahoo.com
    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 30, 2001
      Well, the HO layout is dismantled and sitting in boxes and years of
      structures and cars and locos for my former Rutland Railway branch sit
      idle. Yes...I am a convert to Z scale! I am in the Buffalo, NY area,
      and Z scale in local shops has eluded me thus far, except for some
      small displays and over-priced selections are some local toy
      stores...not "real" train stores. I notice all the Marklin stuff is
      really only in these toy stores...which cover everything from dolls to
      other kids toys, and all the Marklin stuff is locked behind these
      glass plates and all jumbled and in their boxes still. How one can
      easily find what they want is beyond me, and the store people always
      seem to sigh when you ask them to open the case up and look over the
      boxes...obviously they don't sell much the way they have it displayed,
      or seem to care...it is very much an afterthought. Anyway, if anyone
      knows of any better shops with Marklin in Western New York state, let
      me know, otherwise I will stick to mail order via Internet.
      One more thing, I notice a difference in the look of the ties from
      Marklin track and Microtrains track...but I take it that both are
      compatible? One more thing...I can't use my HO/N power pack with Z
      trains right? This is due to the voltage? Thanks...and it has been fun
      reading the archives!
    • ddechamp71@yahoo.fr
      Message 2 of 7 , Jun 30, 2001
        --- In z_scale@y..., webffm@y... wrote:
        > Well, the HO layout is dismantled and sitting in boxes and years of
        > structures and cars and locos for my former Rutland Railway branch
        sit
        > idle. Yes...I am a convert to Z scale! I am in the Buffalo, NY area,
        > and Z scale in local shops has eluded me thus far, except for some
        > small displays and over-priced selections are some local toy
        > stores...not "real" train stores. I notice all the Marklin stuff is
        > really only in these toy stores...which cover everything from dolls
        > other kids toys, and all the Marklin stuff is locked behind these
        > glass plates and all jumbled and in their boxes still. How one can
        > easily find what they want is beyond me, and the store people always
        > seem to sigh when you ask them to open the case up and look over the
        > boxes...obviously they don't sell much the way they have it
        displayed,
        > or seem to care...it is very much an afterthought. Anyway, if
        anyone
        > knows of any better shops with Marklin in Western New York state,
        let
        > me know, otherwise I will stick to mail order via Internet.
        > One more thing, I notice a difference in the look of the ties from
        > Marklin track and Microtrains track...but I take it that both are
        > compatible? One more thing...I can't use my HO/N power pack with Z
        > trains right? This is due to the voltage? Thanks...and it has been
        fun
        > reading the archives!

        I agree with "webffm" (?!)to recognise that if we talk about the
        manufacturers, there is also a problem with the local dealers......I
        remember a huge modeltrain store in California, which has adds in all
        american modelrailroading magazines about their Z scale models; indeed
        this store sells Z scale, but only Marklin Miniclub. No Micro-Trains
        which is an american manufacturer (and obviously no Rogue/AmericanZ,
        no Westmodel, etc....). I'm unable to understand this.....
        Dominique
      • jcubbin@optonline.net
        Message 3 of 7 , Jun 30, 2001
          Welcome!

          This really is a great list, I've regularly received better and more accurate information here than at any of my local hobby dealers. I live
          in New York also, Long Isand, and the same situation exists here as far as dealers go. I've had a couple of "Authorized" Marklin dealers
          try to talk me out of Z and into N. Maybe someone else here is in your area and can point you to a real dealer. I've gone the e-business
          and ebay route myself.

          Regarding the power, I'm sure someone more knowledgable will chime in, but for the moment here's a link:

          The archives here are an invaluable source of information, just use the "Search Archive" option on many of the screens here.

          You may also want to check out the new forum here:

          It presents Z videos.

          Have fun!

          John
        • Ahellary
          Message 4 of 7 , Jun 30, 2001
            all ebusiness is the way to go ... although ebay can be ok im currently in
            dispute with one person... i wont even call him a trader

            but make sure ur cred card covers you for disputes

            A H-Ellary the mad UK Z'er with digitrax chief and winlok 2.1

            now with added web page at www.nccnet.co.uk/ahellary

          • jmac_han@hotmail.com
            Message 5 of 7 , Jun 30, 2001
              Hi and welcome to the wonderful world of Z. You have
              discovered some of the great truths about Z...you can't find it in
              train shops...and if you do find it, it's been in the shelf for 20+
              years ;-)

              If you ever get up to Toronto, there is Micro-Trains at Panther
              Hobbies and Märklin at West End Model Trains and at John's
              Hobbies. West End has the best selection of Z accessories
              although John's has turntables and roundhouses.

              In all honesty, I would stick with eBay and mail order for greater
              selection and better prices over all.

              Märklin and MTL and Peco track are all compatible. The MTL tie
              spacing is closer, relfecting NA practice.

              You can use N scale or HO rated power packs as long as you
              avoid cranking the throttle over 8 - 10 volts. Some modelers use
              MRC 1400 transistor throttles and other brands.

              And if you want to see Z in operation, come to the Great
              American Train Show (GATS) in Niagara Falls, NY, September
              15-16 (check www.gats.com to be sure of the place & dates). I'll
              be there with the Val Ease Central.

              Enjoy your trainZ,
              Jeffrey MacHan

              --- In z_scale@y..., webffm@y... wrote:
              > Well, the HO layout is dismantled and sitting in boxes and
              years of
              > structures and cars and locos for my former Rutland Railway
              branch sit
              > idle. Yes...I am a convert to Z scale! I am in the Buffalo, NY
              area,
              > and Z scale in local shops has eluded me thus far, except for
              some
              > small displays and over-priced selections are some local toy
              > stores...not "real" train stores. I notice all the Marklin stuff is
              > really only in these toy stores...which cover everything from
              dolls to
              > other kids toys, and all the Marklin stuff is locked behind these
              > glass plates and all jumbled and in their boxes still. How one
              can
              > easily find what they want is beyond me, and the store people
              always
              > seem to sigh when you ask them to open the case up and look
              over the
              > boxes...obviously they don't sell much the way they have it
              displayed,
              > or seem to care...it is very much an afterthought. Anyway, if
              anyone
              > knows of any better shops with Marklin in Western New York
              state, let
              > me know, otherwise I will stick to mail order via Internet.
              > One more thing, I notice a difference in the look of the ties from
              > Marklin track and Microtrains track...but I take it that both are
              > compatible? One more thing...I can't use my HO/N power pack
              with Z
              > trains right? This is due to the voltage? Thanks...and it has
              been fun
              > reading the archives!
            • John Jabour
              Message 6 of 7 , Jun 30, 2001
                John
                What part of Long Island?
                I'm in Hicksville.
                John

                > This really is a great list, I've regularly received better and more
                accurate information here than at any of my local hobby dealers. I live
                > in New York also, Long Isand, and the same situation exists here as far as
                dealers go. I've had a couple of "Authorized" Marklin dealers
                > try to talk me out of Z and into N. Maybe someone else here is in your
                area and can point you to a real dealer. I've gone the e-business
                > and ebay route myself.
              • Jeff Rothfus
                Message 7 of 7 , Jul 2, 2001
                  On 6/30/01 webffm wrote:
                  >I notice all the Marklin stuff is really only in these
                  >toy stores...which cover everything from dolls to
                  >other kids toys, and all the Marklin stuff is locked
                  >behind these glass plates and all jumbled

                  Sounds like you've been to Clayton's ...

                  >Anyway, if anyone >knows of any better shops with
                  >Marklin in Western New York state, let me know,
                  >otherwise I will stick to mail order via Internet.

                  I first entered 'Z' in the mid 1980's when the dollar was strong and I
                  was traveling to Europe frequently.

                  Subsequently, much of my early collection came from automobile tours of
                  upstate New York, with Marklin's U.S. Dealer List tucked inside my glove
                  compartment.

                  At that time, I was delighted (and chagrined) to find Marklin Z selling
                  for 50-percent off at dealer, after dealer, throughout New York State ---
                  each dealer selling-off their Marklin inventory, or going out of business
                  altogether.

                  As you have found, their are no Marklin train shops in Western New York;
                  none in Upstate New York; and precious few in the City or on Long Island.

                  The advice you've received regarding mail order and Ebay is sound, but --
                  hey -- the dollar is strong again against the Euro, and the summer fare
                  wars are upon us: Why not pop over the pond and do some serious shopping
                  while ridding the prototype? (... that'll *really* stoke those coal
                  fires within you!)

                  Cheers,
                  jeff