Prototypical Loco Consists

  • railfan_nyc
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 4, 2007
      I noticed that a contributor recently made reference to using several
      different roadnames in a group of MU'd diesels. I thought that
      members might be interested in that topic. I was relaxing in a
      trackside bar in Asheville, NC when a Norfolk Southern freight came
      into view. The consist was 4 enormous GE's. The lead unit was a
      UP,the second was an NS Dash 9, the third was a BNSF, and the fourth
      was a Conrail Dash 8 (renumbered by NS). No, I didn't have my camara
      but I thought that the sight was awesome!!! Needless to say, with the
      Class 1 railroads in the US using shared equipment, my Z-scale (and HO
      scale empires) can do the same.

      Yaaaay !!

      Dan Egy
    • de Champeaux Dominique
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 4, 2007
        --- railfan_nyc <railfan_nyc@...> a écrit :

        > I noticed that a contributor recently made reference
        > to using several
        > different roadnames in a group of MU'd diesels. I
        > thought that
        > members might be interested in that topic. I was
        > relaxing in a
        > trackside bar in Asheville, NC when a Norfolk
        > Southern freight came
        > into view. The consist was 4 enormous GE's. The
        > lead unit was a
        > UP,the second was an NS Dash 9, the third was a
        > BNSF, and the fourth
        > was a Conrail Dash 8 (renumbered by NS). No, I
        > didn't have my camara
        > but I thought that the sight was awesome!!!
        > Needless to say, with the
        > Class 1 railroads in the US using shared equipment,
        > my Z-scale (and HO
        > scale empires) can do the same.

        That's why I've just purchased (and received in good
        order, thank you Rob Kluz) a CN SD70 for my
        californian projects, as I've a picture of one of
        these embedded in an UP consist I've seen on Cajon
        Pass in october 2005....

        Dom

        http://mail.yahoo.fr Yahoo! Mail
      • Randall Smidt
        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 4, 2007
          Dan, A couple of years ago I was railfanning in the Tucson, AZ area. Looking into the distance across the open desert I could see something that was darker than the normal UP units I was seeing. I raced to my photo location in a canyon further down the line to beat the train there and set up only to find out that it was not the unpatched SP unit I was hoping for but rather the same old CSX units I saw daily back home in Virginia. ;-)

          On the local railfan email list here in VA, I just heard about a set of UP tunnel motors coming to rescue a CSX loco that had run out of fuel (how do you let a train run out of fuel ?!).

          It is also interesting to note that you will see two different kinds of "Foreign Power". On run throughs like hot intermodal trains, you will see "Run Through" power which is pooled to save terminal time not having to swap out units on hot trans-con trains. These are typically newer power.

          In the other case, you will see older power (SD40-2's, tunnel motors, SD45's) "running off time" where one railroad essentially let's another railroad use their locomotives to pay back time used on borrowed power instead of paying fees to the other railroad. These are usually unreliable (old) cast off units that motive power managers want to send elsewhere so they don't have to deal with the reliability issues on their own trains.

          Then of course there are leasers all over now due to motive power shortages.

          Randy

          railfan_nyc <railfan_nyc@...> wrote:
          I noticed that a contributor recently made reference to using several
          different roadnames in a group of MU'd diesels. I thought that
          members might be interested in that topic. I was relaxing in a
          trackside bar in Asheville, NC when a Norfolk Southern freight came
          into view. The consist was 4 enormous GE's. The lead unit was a
          UP,the second was an NS Dash 9, the third was a BNSF, and the fourth
          was a Conrail Dash 8 (renumbered by NS). No, I didn't have my camara
          but I thought that the sight was awesome!!! Needless to say, with the
          Class 1 railroads in the US using shared equipment, my Z-scale (and HO
          scale empires) can do the same.

          Yaaaay !!

          Dan Egy

          Recent Activity

          16
          New Members

          15
          New Photos

          2
          New Files

          Visit Your Group

          Model railroad train
          G scale model train
          Ho scale model train
          Model train n scale
          Scale model train

          Yahoo! News
          Top Stories
          Get the current
          top news stories

          Yahoo! TV
          Stay updated
          Get video & read blogs
          on The Apprentice.

          Y! GeoCities
          Share More
          Create a blog, web
          site, and more.

          .

        • kurtulueck@aol.com
          Message 4 of 5 , Jan 4, 2007
            Hi Dan and group!

            Last summer I was in Asheville too and took some pictures. The first train
            came through was also such a colouful consist with BNSF unit leading, then a UP
            followed by the last unit from NS. I hust uploaded the pictures on the Red
            Rock Railroad homepage to share the view:
            _http://www.redrockrail.com/Asheville/Asheville.htm_
            (http://www.redrockrail.com/Asheville/Asheville.htm)

            So I don't hesitate to use my Conrail SD40-2 on the south-west style RRR
            layout. Randy Smidt took some years ago some pictures in the Tuscon area with a
            UP train with a Conrail SD50 in the consist. He was so kind and offered me to
            publish his marvelous pictures on my homepage:
            _http://hometown.aol.de/redrockrail/RedRockAZ/RedRockE.htm_
            (http://hometown.aol.de/redrockrail/RedRockAZ/RedRockE.htm)

            Enjoy colourful consists!

            Kurt

            The Redrock Railroad - Home of the Desert Hog
            http://www.redrockrail.com

          • Randall Smidt
            Message 5 of 5 , Jan 4, 2007
              Kurt,

              I had completely forgotten about that Conrail unit.

              I have more photos to send you when I get a chance. ;-)

              Randy