Micro-Trains New Z Loco Announcement... SD-40

  • Joe DAmato
    Message 1 of 22 , Jan 2, 2007
      Hi All and happy New YearZ!,

      Just got the ok to let everyone know that our next all new loco will be
      the SD40. No dates or color schemes can be discussed at this point so
      don't ask and I won't have to tell! Design is underway and as soon as I
      have plastic and Chassis I will share photo's with you. Pretty excited
      about this new engine since it can be seen all over the country and am
      sure will be a welcome addition to layouts. Few loco's are as Iconic as
      the SD-40 and I hope to be able to provide some of the sub-types as
      well.

      Cheers

      Joe
      MTL
    • Don Avila
      Message 2 of 22 , Jan 2, 2007
        2007 Z Budget shot already.

        Don
        Akron, Ohio - USA

        Message 3 of 22 , Jan 2, 2007
          Hi Joe,
          The SD40 is an excellent choice. A big six axle diesel will
          go quite nicely with all our GP35s. I need a dark green (black)
          one to go with my Penn collection. Ask your paint department
          to borrow some Penn green from Marklin ;>)

          Thanks for the high quality work. I'm very
          satisfied with the entire line!

          Best regardZ,
          Reynard
          On Jan 2, 2007, at 9:44 AM, Joe DAmato wrote:

          > Hi All and happy New YearZ!,
          >
          > Just got the ok to let everyone know that our next all new loco
          > will be
          > the SD40. No dates or color schemes can be discussed at this point so
          > don't ask and I won't have to tell! Design is underway and as soon
          > as I
          > have plastic and Chassis I will share photo's with you. Pretty excited
          > about this new engine since it can be seen all over the country and am
          > sure will be a welcome addition to layouts. Few loco's are as
          > Iconic as
          > the SD-40 and I hope to be able to provide some of the sub-types as
          > well.
          >
          > Cheers
          >
          > Joe
          > MTL

        • Ben Scaro
          Message 4 of 22 , Jan 2, 2007
            Gday Joe

            Oh well, you've answered the question I had on Trainboard.

            Cheers

            Ben

            > Hi All and happy New YearZ!,
            >
            > Just got the ok to let everyone know that our next all new loco will
            be
            > the SD40.
          • Jeff Merill
            Message 5 of 22 , Jan 2, 2007
              Joe,

              How are these going to differ from the already existing AZL SD40's,
              besides made from plastic at half the cost?

              Jeff
              SF Bay Area Z

              --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "Ben Scaro" <bscaro@...> wrote:

              > Gday Joe
              >
              > Oh well, you've answered the question I had on Trainboard.
              >
              > Cheers
              >
              > Ben
              >

              > > Hi All and happy New YearZ!,
              > >
              > > Just got the ok to let everyone know that our next all new loco
              will
              > be
              > > the SD40.

            • Loren Snyder
              Message 6 of 22 , Jan 2, 2007
                Jeff,
                Half? I'd guess a lot more than half.......I'd venture about a third of the
                AZL. And you guys who are in the know already know what other body styles
                would fit the SD40 and then there is always the kit bashing guys who will go
                ape......that's good, yes?

                Loren
                Somewhere between CZM and BAZ

                Message 7 of 22 , Jan 2, 2007
                  I expect they will go through the MTL turnouts without having to
                  reguage the wheels.

                  Tom in Dallas

                  --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "Jeff Merill" <sj-baz-man@...> wrote:

                  > Joe,
                  >
                  > How are these going to differ from the already existing AZL
                  SD40's,
                  > besides made from plastic at half the cost?
                  >
                  > Jeff
                  > SF Bay Area Z
                  >
                  > --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "Ben Scaro" <bscaro@> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > Gday Joe
                  > >
                  > > Oh well, you've answered the question I had on Trainboard.
                  > >
                  > > Cheers
                  > >
                  > > Ben
                  > >

                  > > > Hi All and happy New YearZ!,
                  > > >
                  > > > Just got the ok to let everyone know that our next all new
                  loco
                  > will
                  > > be
                  > > > the SD40.

                • Gert Velthuizen
                  Message 8 of 22 , Jan 2, 2007
                    Congratulations Joe,

                    And a hapy new year to you and MTL as well!!

                    Great decision and a VERY good choice. It'll take a year or more to have the workhorse of the 80's and 90's on Z track so I can start saving and organizing fundraisers for a true fleet.
                    There are so many roads who had them, loads of choice in paintschemes so I am not going to ask you to put Conrail or PC in front because it starts an emailflood from all of our friendZ wanting their fav rr in front.
                    Well done and don't rush it, make it a machine you will be proud of and we will be pleased to buy! (just like the ones you already did!)

                    Have great time,

                    Gert

                    To: z_scale@yahoogroups.comFrom: shipsure2003@...: Tue, 2 Jan 2007 17:44:06 +0000Subject: [Z_Scale] Micro-Trains New Z Loco Announcement... SD-40

                    Message 9 of 22 , Jan 3, 2007
                      They are going to be cool and nifty.

                      Well...they will benifit from being mass produced so more roads,
                      more numbers, more availablity at a more competitive price. Plus
                      they have the Maxon motor which, on paper, offers a better range of
                      performance and torque than the Faulhaber (these are ranges that
                      these motors will never operate in, but it was important in initial
                      selection). These are newer than the Faulhabers so they benifit
                      from advances in technology and manufacturing. I wish AZL would
                      switch to be honest, maybe I'd get a price brake :o). This isn't to
                      say the motor they use is inferior, but I was impressed by the R&D
                      support I got here in the US vs the hands off approach by the
                      Faulhaber folks...plus they will be cool and nifty...or did I say
                      that already? I also think that at 1/3 the price and plastic is a
                      distint advantage in mass production. One of my goals is to provide
                      good operating engines for everyone. But, that goal does not
                      exclude the opportunity to provide a product that will draw more
                      folks to the hobby. At $600 or so a unit, the AZL may not be the
                      first engine most will buy when considering the switch to Z. As
                      they get more sophisticated and have more disposable income then the
                      AZL Brass Range becomes the next step up. I'm not going to be lead
                      into a discussion that paints AZL as an inferior product cause it's
                      not. As I noted many other times we have two different approaches
                      to the same solution and the more choice both in price and selection
                      only helps us. A lot of guys bought the AZL SD and may not buy
                      our's...and that's understandable. My main goal is to grow the
                      hobby, so I want newbies to have a choice and a complete system to
                      expand on. The 8 guys and gals out there who spend more than I make
                      a year on their Z Collection are they guys and gals that will keep
                      AZL providing high end Brass...Cab Forwards for Spam's Sake...We can
                      never do that kind of project. For the 5,000 of us or so in mine
                      and Randy S's situation, a $200.00 engine is about the most we can
                      justify...so that's the difference I guess.

                      Thanks for asking Jeff!

                      Cheers

                      Joe
                      Brand X

                      --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "Jeff Merill" <sj-baz-man@...> wrote:

                      > Joe,
                      >
                      > How are these going to differ from the already existing AZL
                      SD40's,
                      > besides made from plastic at half the cost?
                      >
                      > Jeff
                      > SF Bay Area Z
                      >
                      > --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "Ben Scaro" <bscaro@> wrote:
                      > >
                      > > Gday Joe
                      > >
                      > > Oh well, you've answered the question I had on Trainboard.
                      > >
                      > > Cheers
                      > >
                      > > Ben
                      > >

                      > > > Hi All and happy New YearZ!,
                      > > >
                      > > > Just got the ok to let everyone know that our next all new
                      loco
                      > will
                      > > be
                      > > > the SD40.

                    • Joe DAmato
                      Message 10 of 22 , Jan 3, 2007
                        That's a good expect!

                        Joe
                        Brand X

                        --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "Tom Browning" <thomascb2004@...>
                        wrote:

                        > I expect they will go through the MTL turnouts without having to
                        > reguage the wheels.
                        >
                        > Tom in Dallas
                        >

                        > --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "Jeff Merill" <sj-baz-man@> wrote:
                        > >
                        > > Joe,
                        > >
                        > > How are these going to differ from the already existing AZL
                        > SD40's,
                        > > besides made from plastic at half the cost?
                        > >
                        > > Jeff
                        > > SF Bay Area Z
                        > >
                        > > --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "Ben Scaro" <bscaro@> wrote:
                        > > >
                        > > > Gday Joe
                        > > >
                        > > > Oh well, you've answered the question I had on Trainboard.
                        > > >
                        > > > Cheers
                        > > >
                        > > > Ben

                        > loco
                        > > will
                        > > > be

                      • Jeff Merill
                        Message 11 of 22 , Jan 3, 2007
                          Joe,

                          good summary, nice comparison and justification. I agree wholly
                          that $200 is far more justifiable pricing, even if it may not bring
                          ultimate detail, performance or accuracy. It does the job, adds more
                          options and helps us fill our engine yards and pull more interesting
                          MU's or more trains with different heralds.

                          One thing that we've all noticed between not only manufacturers but
                          also in models within a given manufacturer is performance. This
                          boils down to three catagories: 1) pick up reliablity (slow speed
                          and DCC/Sound reliability), traction (can one loco/engine pull 20
                          cars?) and Speed (range, scale, slow speed, etc.). Some, like the
                          MTL F7's would run over your finger but often have power pick up
                          issues. On the other end, a $1600 loco can have trouble pulling
                          itself around a corner or over straight uneven track. Looks damn
                          good though! Slow speed performance is essential as it also
                          improves DCC and Sound decoder performance. We recently tested the
                          two GP types and found one can easily out pull another, can climb a
                          35% grade, even after stopping and restarting. This may be extreme
                          but traction is a benefit as it allows us to pull either longer
                          trains (e.g. >20 cars), around sharper radius layouts (very common)
                          or grades (also common). Had some power pickup issues though on
                          curves.

                          Please keep these key elements in mind when designing.

                          Thanks for all you care an participation with your customers through
                          the furoms.

                          Jeff
                          SF Bay Area Z

                          --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "Joe DAmato" <shipsure2003@...>
                          wrote:

> [...]
                          can
                          > never do that kind of project. For the 5,000 of us or so in mine
                          > and Randy S's situation, a $200.00 engine is about the most we can
                          > justify...so that's the difference I guess.
                          >
                          > Thanks for asking Jeff!
                          >
                          > Cheers
                          >
                          > Joe
                          > Brand X
                          >

                          > --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "Jeff Merill" <sj-baz-man@> wrote:
                          > >
                          > > Joe,
                          > >
                          > > How are these going to differ from the already existing AZL
                          > SD40's,
                          > > besides made from plastic at half the cost?
                          > >
                          > > Jeff
                          > > SF Bay Area Z
                          > >
                          > > --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "Ben Scaro" <bscaro@> wrote:
                          > > >
                          > > > Gday Joe
                          > > >
                          > > > Oh well, you've answered the question I had on Trainboard.

                        • harold grady
                          Message 12 of 22 , Jan 3, 2007
                            This is the best news we could have. Wowie kazowie. And this is my favorite
                            locomotive. However one point must be cleared up. Will this be the hot hot
                            SD-40-2 or the stepchild, the plain ol' SD-40? Either way Joe I love ya bud-d-d.

                            Man this news is so phenomenal and earthshaking. This will definitely cement
                            my commitment to Z scale as I love the hell out of these babies.
                            In all the other scales the SD-40 was a hot hot seller. A bonanza for Kato in
                            HO and N scale

                            This news is surprising in another way. I definitely assumed you would milk
                            the GP-35 chassis for all it was worth before you made a 6 axle unit.

                            Right now all I can say (ala Robert Ray) is Joy, Joy, Joy and more Joy.
                            Happy as a sissy in a CC camp.
                            Harold Grady

                            wrote:

                            > I expect they will go through the MTL turnouts without having to
                            > reguage the wheels.
                            >
                            > Tom in Dallas
                            >

                            > --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "Jeff Merill" <sj-baz-man@> wrote:
                            > >
                            > > Joe,
                            > >
                            > > How are these going to differ from the already existing AZL
                            > SD40's,
                            > > besides made from plastic at half the cost?
                            > >
                            > > Jeff
                            > > SF Bay Area Z
                            > >
                            > > --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "Ben Scaro" <bscaro@> wrote:
                            > > >
                            > > > Gday Joe
                            > > >
                            > > > Oh well, you've answered the question I had on Trainboard.
                            > > >
                            > > > Cheers
                            > > >
                            > > > Ben

                            > loco
                            > > will
                            > > > be

                          • Joe DAmato
                            Message 13 of 22 , Jan 4, 2007
                              So Harold...are you glad we are doing this or what? :O) Yes, we are
                              doing the SD40-2, one of the more Iconic Diesels out there. This
                              wheel base affords us some other options such as the E Series and a
                              few others. The SD40 is a good choice as well, but the SD39 and the
                              FP40-ish's were not as sexy or widely used. But, never say never
                              right?

                              Cheers

                              Joe
                              Brand X

                              --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, harold grady <butch60619@...> wrote:

                              > This is the best news we could have. Wowie kazowie. And this is my
                              favorite
                              > locomotive. However one point must be cleared up. Will this be
                              the hot hot
                              > SD-40-2 or the stepchild, the plain ol' SD-40? Either way Joe I
                              love ya bud-d-d.

                              > Man this news is so phenomenal and earthshaking. This will
                              definitely cement
                              > my commitment to Z scale as I love the hell out of these babies.
                              > In all the other scales the SD-40 was a hot hot seller. A bonanza
                              for Kato in
                              > HO and N scale
                              >
                              > This news is surprising in another way. I definitely assumed you
                              would milk
                              > the GP-35 chassis for all it was worth before you made a 6 axle
                              unit.

                              > Right now all I can say (ala Robert Ray) is Joy, Joy, Joy and
                              more Joy.
                              > Happy as a sissy in a CC camp.
                              > Harold Grady
                              >
                              > Joe DAmato <shipsure2003@...> wrote:
                              > That's a good expect!
                              >
                              > Joe
                              > Brand X
                              >
                              > --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "Tom Browning" <thomascb2004@>
                              > wrote:
                              > >
                              > > I expect they will go through the MTL turnouts without having to
                              > > reguage the wheels.
                              > >
                              > > Tom in Dallas
                              > >

                              > > --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "Jeff Merill" <sj-baz-man@> wrote:
                              > > >
                              > > > Joe,
                              > > >
                              > > > How are these going to differ from the already existing AZL
                              > > SD40's,
                              > > > besides made from plastic at half the cost?
                              > > >
                              > > > Jeff
                              > > > SF Bay Area Z

                              > > loco
                              > > > will

                            • de Champeaux Dominique
                              Message 14 of 22 , Jan 4, 2007
                                Hey Joe! Great news! Just a question: will it be a
                                SD40, or a SD40-2 (not the same chassis lenght)?

                                Happy new year to all,

                                Dominique

                                --- Joe DAmato <shipsure2003@...> a écrit :

                                > Hi All and happy New YearZ!,
                                >
                                > Just got the ok to let everyone know that our next
                                > all new loco will be
                                > the SD40. No dates or color schemes can be
                                > discussed at this point so
                                > don't ask and I won't have to tell! Design is
                                > underway and as soon as I
                                > have plastic and Chassis I will share photo's with
                                > you. Pretty excited
                                > about this new engine since it can be seen all over
                                > the country and am
                                > sure will be a welcome addition to layouts. Few
                                > loco's are as Iconic as
                                > the SD-40 and I hope to be able to provide some of
                                > the sub-types as
                                > well.
                                >
                                > Cheers
                                >
                                > Joe
                                > MTL

                                http://mail.yahoo.fr Yahoo! Mail
                              • Joe DAmato
                                Message 15 of 22 , Jan 4, 2007
                                  Hey, this is one of the best parts of the job...besides reading
                                  magazines, runing trains, making all the N and Z products I've always
                                  wanted...I get to talk to friends, new and old all day long! Like my
                                  dad used to say, every now and then the sun shines on a dogs
                                  behind!..mine is toasty!

                                  Cheers

                                  Joe
                                  BrandX

                                • de Champeaux Dominique
                                  Message 16 of 22 , Jan 4, 2007
                                    > Slow speed performance is essential as
                                    > it also
                                    > improves DCC and Sound decoder performance.

                                    And, in my opinion, above all, it fights against the
                                    comparison between Z scale and the "mad cockroach
                                    syndrome"!

                                    A few days ago I was running both my SD70s and my
                                    GP35s (not MU'ed between them as the two brands don't
                                    have their speeds matching) on the few feet I've laid
                                    on my Tehachapi Pass project, and what an awesome
                                    sight and feeling: just seeing them crawling at scale
                                    man speed, all this flawlessly, even on my Wright
                                    power routing turnouts!....And all this with some of
                                    the less expensive models!

                                    Congratulations MTL and AZL, and please continue the
                                    fine work!

                                    Dominique

                                    Message 17 of 22 , Jan 4, 2007
                                      --- de Champeaux Dominique <ddechamp71@...> a
                                      écrit :

                                      > Hey Joe! Great news! Just a question: will it be a
                                      > SD40, or a SD40-2 (not the same chassis lenght)?

                                      Sorry all, I didn't reed Joe's previous message (and
                                      reply to my answer)....

                                      Dom

                                      http://mail.yahoo.fr Yahoo! Mail
                                    • Randall Smidt
                                      Message 18 of 22 , Jan 4, 2007
                                        Yes, "Happy, Happy, Joy, Joy!!!" indeed (Joe, are we allowed to use non-Disney animation references?).

                                        All the posibilities this opens up, with the chassis and trucks, too. Wonderful news.

                                        And, yes, I do actually own a couple of pieces of AZL brass, but I literally saved my lunch money for a year and a half for each one to be able to buy them (some dealers do layaway). I'm still 40 pounds overweight so I guess I'm still eating too much and can expand my budget some now. ;-) Of course, with a non-brass SD40-2 coming in the future, I won't have to starve myself.

                                        I'm now running out of money not because I am buying a small number of expensive items but rather because I'm buying more less-expensive items.

                                        Thanks,
                                        Randy

                                        Joe DAmato <shipsure2003@...> wrote:
                                        As I noted many other times we have two different approaches
                                        to the same solution and the more choice both in price and selection
                                        only helps us. ... My main goal is to grow the
                                        hobby, so I want newbies to have a choice and a complete system to
                                        expand on. ... For the 5,000 of us or so in mine
                                        and Randy S's situation, a $200.00 engine is about the most we can
                                        justify...so that's the difference I guess.

                                        Joe

                                        Recent Activity

                                        16
                                        New Members

                                        15
                                        New Photos

                                        2
                                        New Files

                                        Visit Your Group

                                        Model railroad train
                                        G scale model train
                                        Ho scale model train
                                        Model train n scale
                                        Scale model train

                                        Yahoo! News
                                        Top Stories
                                        Get the current
                                        top news stories

                                        Yahoo! TV
                                        Read Ivanka's Blog
                                        Stay updated on
                                        The Apprentice.

                                        Y! GeoCities
                                        Share More
                                        Create a blog, web
                                        site, and more.

                                        .

                                      • John Duino
                                        Message 19 of 22 , Jan 4, 2007
                                          > I'm still 40 pounds
                                          > overweight so I guess I'm still eating too much and can expand my budget
                                          > some now. ;-)

                                          What a brilliant idea! The Z-Scale diet! Eat less, buy more Z! We can make
                                          a fortune. Now we just need to pad it out into a 500+ page book...Jim
                                          Manley should be able to whip that out in an evening!

                                          I'm also happy about the upcoming loc's. I can't wait to see these beaut's
                                          crawling around the modules!

                                          John
                                        • Randall Smidt
                                          Message 20 of 22 , Jan 4, 2007
                                            Ah John, I'm not sure we could trust Jim to give a faithful representation of the Z-diet plan. I'm sure in all his trips down south to play with you all, you've had the opportunity to see how Jim can chow down. ;-)

                                            Fortunately, I'm adjusting my budget with a Christmas check from my Mother-in-law that I just found out was all for me rather than for both me and my wife and kids. Some mother-in-laws are actually OK. ;-)

                                            Randy

                                            John Duino <jduino@...> wrote:
                                            > I'm still 40 pounds
                                            > overweight so I guess I'm still eating too much and can expand my budget
                                            > some now. ;-)

                                            What a brilliant idea! The Z-Scale diet! Eat less, buy more Z! We can make
                                            a fortune. Now we just need to pad it out into a 500+ page book...Jim
                                            Manley should be able to whip that out in an evening!

                                            I'm also happy about the upcoming loc's. I can't wait to see these beaut's
                                            crawling around the modules!

                                            John

                                            __.___

                                            Recent Activity

                                            17
                                            New Members

                                            17
                                            New Photos

                                            2
                                            New Files

                                            Visit Your Group

                                            Model railroad train
                                            G scale model train
                                            Ho scale model train
                                            Model train n scale
                                            Scale model train

                                            Yahoo! News
                                            Fashion News
                                            What's the word on
                                            fashion and style?

                                            Yahoo! TV
                                            Stay updated
                                            Get video & read blogs
                                            on The Apprentice.

                                            Sell Online
                                            Yahoo! makes it
                                            easy to start
                                            selling online.

                                            .

                                          • Michael Hilliard
                                            Message 21 of 22 , Jan 4, 2007
                                              Hello,

                                              At first I thought, a SD40?, it's to modern for my modeling preference. Then I thought about the longer wheel base and if the trucks are interchagable with the GP35 I could simply repace the front truck with a GP35 truck and have a chassie for a 5 axel FL9, with some further modification to the chassie. Oh, the possibilities, now I'm excited...

                                              Michael Hilliard
                                              Wilton, CT USA

                                              Loren Snyder <ljsnyder@...> wrote:
[...]

                                              Most Popular News