Re: [Z_Scale] Photo Attachments, Was: Looking for a project...

  • Geoffrey H Wathen
    Message 1 of 35 , Jan 1, 2007
      Hi Michael,
      That's a great perspective. Thanks. It is also in line with the
      way that I like to do things, as close to prototype as is reasonable
      possible. So, my Shay project will end up being a bit more
      intensive. It's been a while since I designed a power chassis from
      scratch. :-)
      As for the attachments, thanks for the heads up. I wasn't aware.
      So, I've thrown together a quick website for the displaying (and
      selling?) of my "wares". You'll find it at:

      http://trainrunner.ghwphoto.com/

      You'll get to see several of my projects there now, including the
      ALCO FA-1 and the EMD FT.
      I'll look forward to hearing your opinions...

      Best,
      Geoff.

      P.S. I have some photos of the Shay in Portland, Loren, thanks to
      Pierre Vautravers. What I'll need next are some pretty thorough
      measurements, and I figure that I can get those on a trip up at some
      point in the near future.

      On Jan 1, 2007, at Mon,Jan 1,12:09 PM, Michael Hilliard wrote:

      > Hi Geoff,
      >
      > First, I'd like to see your photos of the FA1, however, photo
      > attachments are not permitted in this group. Maybe you could post a
      > link or upload a couple photos to our photo section?
      >
      > As far as the Shay, I'd suggest you go with the machine shop for
      > a custom chassie and use as small a coreless motor as possible to
      > keep it as close to Z scale as possible without it ending up
      > looking like it's actually Nn3. I poised a similar question a few
      > years ago and had quite a few replys asking for a Shay. IMHO, a
      > true Z scale Shay can not be made realisticly for less than $500-
      > $1000 retail. Don't let that scare you off. True, the average
      > person isn't going to spend this kind of money or even can. But
      > there are enough that will and can to justify a small limited run,
      > again in IMHO.
      >
      > I look forward to seeing photos of your work and hope to see a
      > amazing Z scale Shay in the future. All Z Best,
      >
      > Michael Hilliard
      > Wilton, CT USA

    • Randall Smidt
      Message 35 of 35 , Jan 3, 2007
        Dominique,

        The Amtrak West cars that AZL makes are California Cars and are only used in California. You are thinking of the Superliner cars that are used on the long distance trains. They look similar in that they are both two level cars but are in fact very different cars. I'm guessing that AZL did the California cars because they go along with the F59PHI. While Superliners are much more numerous, I don't believe that FR had released their F40PH when AZL came out with the commuter passenger cars. Superliners would run with either F40PH's or the newer Genesis locomtives from GE.

        Randy

        de Champeaux Dominique <ddechamp71@...> wrote:

        (I'm not including the AZL
        > brass passenger cars and the plastic commuter
        > coaches and cab cars because one is expensive enough
        > to not be mass-market and the other is not for long
        > distance trains).
        >
        > Randy

        Randy, I've not a great knowledge of passenger trains,
        but in my opinion the cars sold in the AZL Amtrak set
        look like the samples used in long haul Amtrack
        trains, as far as I've seen them when railfanning at
        various locations, such as Cajon Pass or the Moffat
        Line....

        Just my two cents, and happy new year to all.

        Dominique

        En finir avec le spam? Yahoo! Mail vous offre la meilleure protection possible contre les messages non sollicit├ęs
        http://mail.yahoo.fr Yahoo! Mail