Re: [Z_Scale] Photo Attachments, Was: Looking for a project...

  • Michael Hilliard
    Message 1 of 35 , Jan 1, 2007
      Hi Geoff,

      First, I'd like to see your photos of the FA1, however, photo attachments are not permitted in this group. Maybe you could post a link or upload a couple photos to our photo section?

      As far as the Shay, I'd suggest you go with the machine shop for a custom chassie and use as small a coreless motor as possible to keep it as close to Z scale as possible without it ending up looking like it's actually Nn3. I poised a similar question a few years ago and had quite a few replys asking for a Shay. IMHO, a true Z scale Shay can not be made realisticly for less than $500-$1000 retail. Don't let that scare you off. True, the average person isn't going to spend this kind of money or even can. But there are enough that will and can to justify a small limited run, again in IMHO.

      I look forward to seeing photos of your work and hope to see a amazing Z scale Shay in the future. All Z Best,

      Michael Hilliard
      Wilton, CT USA

      Geoffrey H Wathen <mail@...> wrote:
      Great website, thanks!
      It does bring up an interesting question. It looks like there may
      be an issue with trying to use a Marklin (0-6-0?) as a power chassis
      for a Shay (4-4). While I was at MTL, I had a "spare time" project
      that was to develop a narrow gage Shay for N scale based on the Z
      scale F7 mechanism. I don't know if it went anywhere after I left,
      though. But the F7, being essentially a 4-4 mechanism made for a
      great basis when moving up to Nn3.
      So, I'm left with a question about what you think that I should do
      here. Should this be a "fudge" unit, with an arrangement of 4-6? I
      might be able to design it to have two of the drive wheels from the
      Marklin removed, leaving only 4 drive wheels, as one alternative. On
      the other hand, I could design it to be a dummy locomotive, but
      design a custom power chassis to drive it, which could be available
      as a special order (I'd have to find a machine shop to manufacture
      such a thing, and it would certainly be quite expensive). So, that's
      where things are at with the Shay right now. (Someone pointed out to
      me that there is a Shay up in Portland, so I should be able to get a
      good prototypically accurate loco, once I'm ready to push forward!!)
      Also, I'm attaching two images. The first is the FA-1. It's
      essentially done, though I haven't had a model produced to verify all
      the dimensions, etc. The second is another one that I've been
      sitting on, specifically the EMC FT. Both of these are designed to
      fit over the MTL F7 power chassis. As such, both are slightly non-
      prototypical. The trucks is the big issue with the FA-1. I could,
      in principle, design new truck sideframes to match the FA-1
      prototype, and maybe I will, eventually, but that would still leave
      the wheel spacing incorrect. The FT is a bit too long for prototype,
      and the trucks are slightly wrong. But, this is working with what
      we've got. Let me know what you think! (These images may be a
      little hard to see the detail, and I can provide higher resolution
      images later, including more views, etc.)

      Best,
      Geoff.

    • Randall Smidt
      Message 35 of 35 , Jan 3, 2007
        Dominique,

        The Amtrak West cars that AZL makes are California Cars and are only used in California. You are thinking of the Superliner cars that are used on the long distance trains. They look similar in that they are both two level cars but are in fact very different cars. I'm guessing that AZL did the California cars because they go along with the F59PHI. While Superliners are much more numerous, I don't believe that FR had released their F40PH when AZL came out with the commuter passenger cars. Superliners would run with either F40PH's or the newer Genesis locomtives from GE.

        Randy

        de Champeaux Dominique <ddechamp71@...> wrote:

        (I'm not including the AZL
        > brass passenger cars and the plastic commuter
        > coaches and cab cars because one is expensive enough
        > to not be mass-market and the other is not for long
        > distance trains).
        >
        > Randy

        Randy, I've not a great knowledge of passenger trains,
        but in my opinion the cars sold in the AZL Amtrak set
        look like the samples used in long haul Amtrack
        trains, as far as I've seen them when railfanning at
        various locations, such as Cajon Pass or the Moffat
        Line....

        Just my two cents, and happy new year to all.

        Dominique

        En finir avec le spam? Yahoo! Mail vous offre la meilleure protection possible contre les messages non sollicit├ęs
        http://mail.yahoo.fr Yahoo! Mail