Introduction

  • jmac_han@hotmail.com
    Message 1 of 28 , Jun 28, 1999
      Hello to one and all,

      I have a confession to make. I'm a Z scale runner! Yes, runner. I have a modest collection of Micro-Trains F7's A's and a B (a personal kit bash) and freight cars. I have a M�rklin US passenger set that I have repainted in Union Pacific colours as well as some scratch built cars and kit bashed steam locos. These are all based on UP prototype and are made to run relentlessly at 5-6 train shows a year. They all have 100's of hours of operation on them. So if I ever try to sell something, assume it's used, very used!

      I must also confess that I do have a collection... the NMRA Heritage Collection in Z. I couldn't resist.

      My layout is built for train shows and ultimate portability and reliability. The Val Ease Central RR is contained in two, and soon to be three, 36" hard shell suitcases. The cases are linked together to form the complete layout although each suitcase is self contained.

      I have been working on this labour of love since December 1993 and overall attendance at trainshows and exhibits where the Val Ease Central was operating has now surpassed 500,000.

      Current projects are:
      1- refurbishing and testing the VECR for the upcoming National Train Show in Saint Paul, MN, July 23-25, 1999. I'll update you on where you can find me at the show. I've been assigned an excellent space but I have to find the letter from the NTS!

      2- building my most ambitious loco conversion...making a UP 2-8-0 from the M�rklin 88981 0-8-0 chassis. So far so good, as I've got the superstructure almost done, the tender is ready for painting and decals and I've found a way to add the leading truck to the underframe. I'll post updates on the project as my courage allows!

      3- of course adding the third suitcase to the layout. The track is laid, the control box is built and the fast clock works! I have more terraforming to do and scenicking will probably take place later this summer. If all goes well, I hope to officially unveil the complete Val Ease Central at the GATS in Puyallup, WA in November.

      4- painting and lettering the Miller Engineering 2 and 3 bay hopper car kits that I succeeded in building. Honestly, I thought that they were a pinch too big but after a while I fell in love with them. I believe that there is one manufacturing error on the 3 bay hopper (one side of the centre bay was not angled). Please correct me if I am wrong and that the prototype hoppers were built that way!

      5- building a work train...only in the "buying the NN3 cars for later bashing" stage. This project is inspired by Terry Sutfin, a wonderful Z scale RUNNER! in Vancouver, WA.

      6- getting my Val Ease Central web site into shape. I have the web space, the scanner, the web publisher (Word 7 for Mac), the pictures and the good intentions... I just need the WILLPOWER!

      I'll sign off for now. I look forward to sharing electrons with you so I can get my Z fix between train shows.

      Cheers,
      Jeffrey MacHan
    • Dan MacKellar
      Message 2 of 28 , Jul 4, 1999
        Hi all,

        My name's Dan MacKellar and I'm the only Z scaler in my area.
        I'm 22 years old and live just north of London, Ontario, Canada

        I got into Z about 2 years ago by accident, I purchased 2 MT F7's
        (pwd and dummy) a couple of gons and a van for use as an HO scale
        carnival train. One thing led to another, and the carnival never came
        about, but when I picked up the pieces I ordered at the hobby shop,
        he had four more Z scale cars (2 50' boxcars and 2 tanks) I picked
        them up as well. I just got my layout started in November. It's a
        24"X42" double loop I'll post a trackplan later.

        Rolling stock now consists of the following

        Microtrains
        F7A powered and Dummy
        20 Misc. freight cars including 2 cabooses

        Marklin
        PRR 4-6-2
        B&O 2-8-2
        German 2-6-0
        German 0-6-0
        AT&SF F7A
        6 misc. German cars
        5 US cars incl. 2 cabooses

        I'm toying with the idea of turning the Marklin F7 into an FP7 by mounting
        it on an extended MT dummy chassis. The louvres won't be identical,
        but it'll come close seeing as how the Marklin shell's about 4' longer than
        the MT shell. Right now however, I'm thinking of scratchbuilding a GP9
        to fit an MT dummy chassis. The chassis is on it's way, so we'll see.

        I'll keep the group posted on progress (hopefully with pics)

        I'm going to be modeling the Tennessee Central Railroad circa 1980-1990,
        even though the line went defunct in 1968.

        Now if I could only figure out how to cast hoppers in Z...

        Regards,
        Dan MacKellar
      • Bruno Weymeis
        Message 3 of 28 , Oct 29, 1999
          Hi all entertrainers.
          Let me give a small introduction .
          I'm Bruno and I live in Belgium and I'm 33.I once had a HO-scaled train from
          Marklin when I was a kid. My whole set landed in a big box in a room,
          together with other toys. A while ago I opend that box after 20 years and I
          got charmed again. I let my locs roll again.... what a trill!!!!
          My only problem is that I haven't got the space anymore to lay my old
          train.So I decided to change scale. But the difficult question is wich one?
          Marklin Z or Fleischmann N ? I think that are the only two that are
          (quite!)easily to find here. Could you please give me some advise, before I
          run to a shop? Thanks to you all.
          Bye
          Bruno
          Message 4 of 28 , Jan 1, 2000
            Hi group,

            My machine survived the Y2K rollover so I thought that rather than continuing
            to lurk in the shadows I would introduce myself.

            My name is Ron Ratliff and I live in Richmond, Texas. Richmond is about 30
            miles Southwest of Houston.

            I've had an interest in railroads most of my life, but other than having an HO
            oval tacked to a 4'x8' sheet of plywood as a kid I never really pursued model
            railroding. I did buy the occasional copy of Model Railroader and Railroad
            Model Craftsman just to see what was happening in the hobby. I also spent a lot
            of vacation time in Colorado riding the narrow gauge lines, visiting the old
            mining towns and generally just trying to get a feel for narrow gauge rail-
            roading.

            By last February I'd decided that it was time to start my own HOn3 empire, so I
            rather innocently wandered into the GATS show in Houston thinking I would buy
            a loco, some rolling stock and just enough track to at least make a start. As
            mentioned earlier, I had researched the real thing but had not done nearly
            enough homework on modeling HOn3. For those not familiar with this scale, just
            about everthing you would put on the track is either horrendously expensive
            brass or kit built. As it turned out I didn't locate anything at that show to
            buy, but I did see a single rather small Z-scale layout.

            When the guy showing his Z layout handed me a boxcar, my first reaction was
            "Nice detail but it sure is small!" (have you folks heard that one before??)

            I persisted with the HOn3 for a few months but finally realized that at the
            rate I model, it would be years before the first loco would run.

            I kept thinking about Z-scale and finally started checking into it via the
            Internet and Walthers catalog. The more I looked into it, the more it became
            a viable modeling option. I picked up a MT Santa Fe starter set and was very
            impressed with the detail and the fact that something that small actually
            worked that well. At that point I was sold on Z!

            I used Cadrail to design a layout to fit in glass top coffee table that measures
            about 2'x5'. My plan is to model the Santa Fe as it runs through West Texas in
            the 1950's-60's. Or at least my concept of that railroad anyway. I haven't yet
            figured out how to explain the SP Daylight passenger service in West Texas, but
            that's a worry for another day.

            I have been checking the archives and found some very valuable information on
            couplers and lubrication.

            There may come a time when my modeling abilities will allow me to fill that
            spare bedroom with Colorado mountains but I suspect those mountains will be
            towering above a Z-scale F unit rather than that narrow gauge 2-8-0.

            Best wishes to all for a Happy New Year and keep on Zzzzzing,

            Ron Ratliff
          • Frans van Cuilenborg
            Message 5 of 28 , Jan 2, 2000
              A Happy new Year to all of you,

              My name is Frans van Cuilenborg and I have been following this list almost
              from the start. Never taken the time to introduce my self, but now as a new
              years wish to my self I will introduce my self. I am 60 years of age but got
              my first Marklin set back in the 50 ties when I was a kid living in Holland.
              I moved to Norway in 1963 and the trains were kept in their boxes for ages,
              no place no time.
              For about 6 years ago I found out it was time to start using them again. So
              for the time being I am building a HO layout (wrong list) which I hope to
              finish soon. I have always been attrackted to Z scale because I like to
              model long stredges where you can really run long trains. I do not have so
              much space so for a long time ago I bought a starter set and have been
              collecting and dreaming ever since.
              I am not good in planning layouts but I saw in the latest Marklin Magazine a
              nice layout which I have the space to build. As soon as I am finished with
              the HO layout I get it out ofvthe house and place it in a Motor Museum,
              where my club have their facilities. Here we have a large HO layout
              representing a true scale stredge in the neighbourhood of Oslo. So whenever
              I feel for HO scale I can always fall back there.
              I hope that before I start on this z-scale layout that the decodrs for
              running digital are getting small enough to built them into z-scale
              locomotives.

              Best regards
            • jens.wimmel@bluewin.ch
              Message 6 of 28 , Jul 29, 2000
                Hello Z-heads

                I want to introduce myself, because I am new in this list today.

                My name is Jens Wimmel, I am a German (big)boy living in Switzerland
                since 10 years.
                1995 I remembered for modellrailroading after 15 years with other
                hobbies.
                Because I have not the space for a H0-layout, I started with Z in
                1998.
                After some months with my starterset runnig onto the kitchentable I
                want to build a compact layout.
                With a friend who has changed to Z, too I want to explore what is
                possible with this little scale.
                Well, now we find out so much information and it never stops...
                After going into the www it was possible to contact many other Z-
                friends and producers, and this is really a great thing!
                Here in Switzerland the few Z-friends mostly don't know each other,
                but I hope, I can change it.

                Since may my Z-homepage is in the net
                http://members.tripod.de/Zettsiite/zettsiite.index.html(only in
                german)

                The best regards to all
                Jens
              • peter.anderson1@btinternet.com
                Message 7 of 28 , Aug 6, 2000
                  Hi everybody.
                  My name is Pete..and I am a Z-Head
                  Got my first set at the age of 43
                  I am now 44, I have been addicted ever since.
                  My daily fix is the DRG period
                  If ther are any other addicts in Scotland feel free to get in touch
                • Ron D.
                  Message 8 of 28 , Dec 30, 2000
                    Hi Folks,

                    Just wanted to introduce myself. I dabbled in N scale for a while
                    about 15 yrs ago. I don't have enough knowledge to be a purist but
                    what the heck, I was having fun! Anyway I was always facinated by
                    miniatures and was intrigued by Z scale although I couldn't afford it
                    at the time. I very recently purchased a Marklin Z scale starter set
                    so my son & I could get involved in a hobby together. I would
                    appreciate it if anyone could give me a web site, reading material or
                    just about anything that I could go to for some basic information.

                    Thanks & I'm sure I'll have a lot more questions as time goes on.

                    Ron D.
                  • A H-Ellary
                    Message 9 of 28 , Dec 30, 2000
                      hi Ron

                      welcome aboard where in the world are you im in the uk in Northampton in
                      fact... and im always pleased to share ideas and talk/play trains

                      A H-Ellary the mad UK Z'er with digitrax Chief + winlok 2.1

                      now with added web page www.nccnet.co.uk/ahellary
                      Message 10 of 28 , Dec 30, 2000
                        Thanks for the warm welcome and suggestions. To answer your
                        question, I'm from the U.S. - Central New Jersey to be more specific,
                        which means that I've been out the last 3 hours shoveling snow!

                        Well, I'm off to check out the links and files sections and I'm sure
                        there will be many questions afterward.

                        Take Care,

                        Ron D.

                      • Jeffrey MacHan
                        Message 11 of 28 , Dec 30, 2000
                          Hi Ron,

                          Welcome to the wonderful world of Z. This group is a rich source of
                          information on any subject related to our common passion. Ask anything you
                          like and you're sure to get sage advice.

                          This list also offers many resources in the 'Links', 'Files' and 'Messages'
                          sections. Check them out. You can use the search function on the message
                          archives to ferret out previous discussions on a multitude of subjects.

                          In the 'Links' section you'll find web site references where a mountain of
                          info and other links are available. In the 'Files' section you'll find
                          pictures, member intros, informational texts and lots more.

                          Enjoy the site and the list. Our members are open and generous with advice,
                          time and opinions! So enjoy!

                          Cheers,
                          Jeffrey MacHan
                          Moderator

                          >From: "Ron D." <starfire010@...>
                          >To: z_scale@egroups.com
                          >Subject: [z_scale] Introduction
                          >Date: Sat, 30 Dec 2000 19:11:51 -0000
                          >
                          >Hi Folks,
                          >
                          >Just wanted to introduce myself. I dabbled in N scale for a while
                          >about 15 yrs ago. I don't have enough knowledge to be a purist but
                          >what the heck, I was having fun! Anyway I was always facinated by
                          >miniatures and was intrigued by Z scale although I couldn't afford it
                          >at the time. I very recently purchased a Marklin Z scale starter set
                          >so my son & I could get involved in a hobby together. I would
                          >appreciate it if anyone could give me a web site, reading material or
                          >just about anything that I could go to for some basic information.
                          >
                          >Thanks & I'm sure I'll have a lot more questions as time goes on.
                          >
                          >Ron D.

                        • Reynard Wellman
                          Message 12 of 28 , Dec 30, 2000
                            Hello Ron,
                            Like you I have been a N scaler for a number of years and now
                            I also collect and build Z scale. Z scale is charming and has great
                            potential for spectacular layouts that won't take over your entire
                            house. Z is more expensive because the making of these tiny
                            items runs a close kinship with jewelry making. You barely touch
                            a box car and it jumps off the track! Patience is the by-word for
                            all Z scale modeling.

                            I would urge you to eventually obtain a subscription to Z track
                            magazine.
                            I think it's http://www.ztrack.com Over the course of a year you'll
                            learn about everybody whose ever been seriously involved with US
                            Z. All of us are sharing experiences, manufacturing accessories, putting

                            together shows. It's a lot of fun. Basic information is something
                            I'm always looking for too. Eventually there will be websites that have
                            a lot of information. Right now most websites are either commercial
                            or addressed to specific problems with turnouts, motors, lighting etc.

                            Marklin makes a track planning kit that is very helpful for a first
                            layout design. Try to stay with the simpler turnouts. We Zeds
                            have been having a lot of discussions about turnouts over the past year
                            and until there is some competition from another manufacturer,
                            I don't think these issues will be satisfactorily resolved.

                            Best regards and good luck!
                            Reynard

                            "Ron D." wrote:

                            > Hi Folks,
                            >
                            > ... I would
                            > appreciate it if anyone could give me a web site, reading material or
                            > just about anything that I could go to for some basic information.
                            >
                            > Thanks & I'm sure I'll have a lot more questions as time goes on.
                            >
                            > Ron D.
                          • goldanegev
                            Message 13 of 28 , Dec 23, 2001
                              Hello All- My name is Naomi Goring, from Silver Spring, Maryland. I
                              work in the computer field, and just go started with Z-Scale. I
                              bought myself a Christmas present: a B&O steam train by Marklin and
                              an oval of track. I am moderately handy with tools and a paintbrush,
                              and I hope to get my husband interested.

                              First, a couple of questions: 1. Is it possible to run the train
                              from a 9 volt battery? If so, what else do I need?
                              2. If it is better to use the house current, what is the simplest
                              transformer I can use?
                              3. How does the transformer connect to the track?
                              4. What is the minimum platform you need to run a train? Do you
                              need something as heavy as plywood, or can you use a foamboard
                              platform on a tabletop?

                              Eventually, I would like to create an urban setting, like a 1930's
                              Baltimore scene with rowhouses. In my dreams, I would like a model
                              of the long B&O warehouse building that is the backdrop for the
                              Orioles stadium.

                              Any comments will be appreciated.
                            • Reynard Wellman
                              Message 14 of 28 , Dec 23, 2001
                                Hello Naomi,

                                Yes, people build little brief case layouts that run on a 9V battery,
                                expensive but feasible.

                                There are starting to be more structures for Z scale available and if we get
                                some decent support from the Z scale leadership there will be more. Some of
                                us like to think of Z scale as the "champagne" of model railroading, but if
                                you want real champagne you have to pay a little more otherwise you'd be
                                buying just cheap sparkling wine (which tastes funny to me).

                                I use blue insulation Styrofoam that is 1" thick. You have to glue it to
                                1/8" to 1/4" thick plywood with Elmer's glue. Don't use contact cement
                                unless you like to see stuff melt. This make for a very light, portable
                                layout.

                                The Z scale transformers produce 8VDC tops. Don't use anything else unless
                                you like the smell of burning motor windings.

                                Welcome aboard and good luck.

                                Reynard Wellman
                                http://www.micronart.com

                                >Naomi wrote:
                                >Hello All- My name is Naomi Goring, from Silver Spring, Maryland. I
                                work in the computer field, and just go started with Z-Scale. I
                                bought myself a Christmas present: a B&O steam train by Marklin and
                                an oval of track. I am moderately handy with tools and a paintbrush,
                                and I hope to get my husband interested.

                                First, a couple of questions: 1. Is it possible to run the train
                                from a 9 volt battery? If so, what else do I need?
                                2. If it is better to use the house current, what is the simplest
                                transformer I can use?
                                3. How does the transformer connect to the track?
                                4. What is the minimum platform you need to run a train? Do you
                                need something as heavy as plywood, or can you use a foamboard
                                platform on a tabletop?

                                Eventually, I would like to create an urban setting, like a 1930's
                                Baltimore scene with rowhouses. In my dreams, I would like a model
                                of the long B&O warehouse building that is the backdrop for the
                                Orioles stadium.

                                Any comments will be appreciated.

                                Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
                                <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=210353.1778862.3296836.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=17065338
                                16:HM/A=900179/R=0/*http://www.capcom.com/Yahoo/yahoo.xpml>

                                <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

                              • jmac_han
                                Message 15 of 28 , Dec 23, 2001
                                  Welcome to Z_Scale, Naomi. This is THE place to get answers
                                  to any and all of your questions. I can tell from your questions
                                  that you want to get up and running in short order. Let's see if I
                                  can give you a little help. Many other members will certainly
                                  chime in. ;-)

                                  --- In z_scale@y..., "goldanegev" <ngoring@r...> wrote:
                                  > Hello All- My name is Naomi Goring, from Silver Spring,
                                  Maryland. I
                                  > work in the computer field, and just go started with Z-Scale. I
                                  > bought myself a Christmas present: a B&O steam train by
                                  Marklin and
                                  > an oval of track.

                                  Beautiful train set and a very nice Christmas gift.

                                  >I am moderately handy with tools and a paintbrush,

                                  Then you won't have much trouble building a miniature world that
                                  will give you much enjoyment. Very few tools are needed to get
                                  going: screw driver to attach wires to the throttle, paring knife to
                                  cut and carve styrofoam, a hobby knife and straight edge to cut
                                  foam board as a base, hobby paint brushes and acrylic paints
                                  and eventually a 25 watt soldering iron and rosin core solder
                                  from Radio Shack (if necessary)...

                                  As you get more involved you'll discover other projects that may
                                  require hobby tools such as small files, sand paper, glues of
                                  different sorts etc. Model railroading is a hobby that can grow
                                  with your interests and allow you to develop many new skills.

                                  > and I hope to get my husband interested.

                                  Good idea. You will need all the sources of Z gifts that you can
                                  get! ;-)

                                  There are many sources of information for model railroaders of
                                  all skill levels and experience. Z scale is similar to most other
                                  scales that run on low voltage Direct Current such as HO and N
                                  scale. The most demanding part of Z scale railroading is having
                                  good trackwork, no kinks, no poor joints and keeping the track as
                                  clean as possible. A great source for track cleaning tips is
                                  http://www.zscale.org (see track cleaning).

                                  Now let's tackle your questions.

                                  > First, a couple of questions: 1. Is it possible to run the train
                                  > from a 9 volt battery? If so, what else do I need?

                                  It is very possible using a 9v battery clip from Radio Shack that
                                  you can attach directly to the track. This will run the train at top
                                  speed untill the battery dies. Rechargeable batteries are best for
                                  this kind of power arrangement. As your next question implies a
                                  much better solution is to use a commercial transistor throttle
                                  specifically made for electric trains.

                                  > 2. If it is better to use the house current, what is the simplest
                                  > transformer I can use?

                                  Today's transformers are not all that simple (on the inside that
                                  is). Z scale does not require much voltage to run at top speed,
                                  between 6-8 volts. As a result the majority of hobby transformers
                                  provide far too much power for Z trains. It is not really necessary
                                  to buy a special transformer for Z scale although some of my
                                  colleagues may disagree with me on this point. I have enjoyed
                                  many years of service from a very good and inexpensive
                                  transistorized throttle made by Model Rectifier Corporation or
                                  MRC. I use the MRC 1300 and MRC1400 models. They provide
                                  a maximum of 12 volts but I have no trouble since I do not crank
                                  the throttle up to max. Turning the speed knob about half way is
                                  usually the most my trains need.

                                  The MRC 1300 and 1400 throttles have a knob with a handle. It
                                  is possible to run your train to find the maximum speed position
                                  on the control knob, mark the spot on the face of the throttle with
                                  a felt marker, then drill a small pilot hole and then screw a long
                                  screw into place to block the handle from going past the max
                                  setting. I'm sure you know what I mean. If not give me a shout.

                                  > 3. How does the transformer connect to the track?

                                  If you bought an oval of track with a connector section then all you
                                  have to do to get the train running is to connect a wire (speaker
                                  wire works fine) from each clamp on the connector section to the
                                  connectors on the back of the MRC1300 or 1400 throttle that are
                                  identified by "DC to track". 2 wires are all it takes. Make sure
                                  the throttle is turned off before you put the loco on the track. Turn
                                  the speed control to "zero" before turning on the throttle. Turn the
                                  speed control slowly to get the train running. Also make sure
                                  that you stop the train by turning the speed control to "zero"
                                  before you change direction with the slide switch on the throttle.

                                  > 4. What is the minimum platform you need to run a train? Do
                                  you
                                  > need something as heavy as plywood, or can you use a
                                  foamboard
                                  > platform on a tabletop?

                                  I have used styrofoam and foamboard with great success. I
                                  suggest that if you want to move your layout board from time to
                                  time that you build your layout on styrofoam. 1 inch styrofoam
                                  comes in 2 foot wide by 8 foot lengths at your local home
                                  renovation or building center. It is light, rigid and you can use
                                  straight pins to hold your track in place.

                                  I only bought 1 - 8 foot sheet which I cut and stacked up to make
                                  mountains and rivers. You can put a base and then a second
                                  and third layers on top to carve out mountains. My secret to
                                  gluing styrofoam and foamboard is Rubber Cement from
                                  Walmart, Kmart, or your local full service drug store etc.. This is
                                  great for almost anything you may have to glue in your Z world.
                                  Do not confuse Rubber Cement (comes in a brown bottle with a
                                  brush in the cap, kids love it at school) with Contact Cement
                                  (comes in a tube or can and disolves styrofoam and has noxious
                                  vapors).

                                  > Eventually, I would like to create an urban setting, like a 1930's
                                  > Baltimore scene with rowhouses. In my dreams, I would like a
                                  model
                                  > of the long B&O warehouse building that is the backdrop for
                                  the
                                  > Orioles stadium.

                                  I don't know of any source for row houses although Märklin
                                  makes a series of commercial buildings in resin and Miller
                                  Engineering makes some magnificent Victorian houses in brass
                                  kits which you might find useful. Some plastic kits of row
                                  houses are available that have a slight European flavor but can
                                  certainly be useful. I'll forward your request for "row houses" on
                                  to someone I know. ;-)

                                  Microfigs makes North American style factory and warehouse
                                  structures in resin. All they need is some paint and a home on
                                  your layout. See http://www.microfigs.com and look under
                                  "store" for pictures and ordering info.

                                  > Any comments will be appreciated.

                                  You can be sure to get lots of comments from this list. Just ask
                                  away.

                                  Happy Holidays, Naomi and enjoy your trainZ,

                                  Jeffrey MacHan
                                  Chief Imagineer
                                  Val Ease Central Rr
                                  http://www.Val-Ease-Central.com
                                • goldanegev
                                  Message 16 of 28 , Dec 24, 2001
                                    --- In z_scale@y..., "jmac_han" <jmac_han@h...> wrote:
                                    > I don't know of any source for row houses although Märklin
                                    > makes a series of commercial buildings in resin and Miller
                                    > Engineering makes some magnificent Victorian houses in brass
                                    > kits which you might find useful. Some plastic kits of row
                                    > houses are available that have a slight European flavor but can
                                    > certainly be useful. I'll forward your request for "row houses" on
                                    > to someone I know. ;-)

                                    I have the 2002 Walters catalog showing Micro Structures with a brick
                                    town house that is very typical of Baltimore style. It's number 502-
                                    228010. There are several other suitable buildings: a bar, a deli, a
                                    hotel. And Marklin has a brick, steam-era engine shed and a 3-stall
                                    roundhouse that would be suitable.

                                    BTW, I took the advice and ordered a Marklin transformer on EBay.
                                    Batteries don't seem to be the way to go.

                                    Naomi
                                  • Ell Geib
                                    Message 17 of 28 , Jan 21, 2002
                                      Hi,
                                      My name is Ellsworth Geib (I usually go by Ell). I live about 60
                                      miles south of Washington, DC in southern Maryland, USA. I have been
                                      lurking (mostly) on this group for a number of weeks now. I have had
                                      one of the introductory Marklin sets (the 0-6-0 set) for about 12
                                      years. I also purchased a small layout (about 2 ft by 4 ft) with a
                                      Marklin F-7 Chesapeake and Ohio set from a friend about 10 or 11
                                      years ago. I have been displaying the Z-scale layout each year at my
                                      Rockville Lions Train Show on the second weekend in November and at
                                      the Fairfax Station Museum Train Show on the first weekend in
                                      December for 10 years now.
                                      I have been modeling off and on for about 50 years. I traded my
                                      Lionel engine and cars for an HO engine kit when I was 14. I began
                                      modeling in N-scale when it first came out in the sixties. I prefer
                                      the building to the running of trains and have had little in the way
                                      of layouts. This became more difficult when I lost the central vision
                                      in my right eye 10 or 11 years ago. Working on Z-scale is difficult
                                      enough with 2 good eyes. You should try it with no depth perception.
                                      Because of this, I am cautious about starting any sort of conversion
                                      on existing equipment, especially considering the cost of these
                                      gemlike toys.
                                      As a member of the Rockville Lions Club in Rockville, Maryland
                                      (about 10 miles northwest of Washington DC) I started a train show as
                                      a one-day fund raising affair in 1991. We expanded it to 2 days in
                                      1992. It is NOT a vendor show. It is strictly a display show and
                                      attempts to have something for most everyone. We have 5 rooms (3
                                      rather large) and have displays of G-scale, Lionel, HO-scale,
                                      N-scale, and Z-scale. The Lionel, HO, and N layouts are modular type.
                                      The Lionel and N-scale layouts are about 16 ft by 32 ft while the HO
                                      layout is usually about 32 ft by 48 ft. We now have 2 Z-scale
                                      layouts, mine and a rather unique one by a member of another Lions
                                      Club, Susan Shrader. I am planning on writing something about Susan's
                                      layout for Z-Track magazine. I am still the primary coordinator for
                                      the show, even though I retired, moved to southern Maryland 4 years
                                      ago, and joined a different Lions Club.
                                      The same basic groups of people exhibit at the Fairfax Station
                                      Museum Train Show. Because of size restrictions, the layouts are not
                                      as large. However, the Garden group have been setting up an outside
                                      railroad that goes completely around the station and there is also a
                                      Lionel standard gauge layout inside.
                                      Both shows are a lot of fun and attract people from all around the
                                      Washington, DC area. One thing that has been interesting over the
                                      years. I usually get my Z-scale trains going first and typically just
                                      leave them alone. They run all day for both days of the shows. They
                                      also draw lots of attention because of their small size.

                                      Ell Geib
                                    • Randy Smidt
                                      Message 18 of 28 , Jan 21, 2002
                                        Hi Ell,

                                        I'm guessing that you are in the St.Mary's area. If so, you might try
                                        Trains, Etc. in Lorton, VA. He is a Marklin dealer and is Z-friendly.
                                        When my wife and I were looking at moving to the St Mary's area a few
                                        months ago (that job didn't materialize) we timed it from St. Mary's
                                        back across the Potomac to Springfield where my mom lives at about 1
                                        hour 15 minutes. This might be a little closer than the shops in
                                        Baltimore.

                                        I missed the Rockville show in 2001, but but maybe I could have some Z
                                        modules done before Dec. 2002. I just started in Z in November 2001, so
                                        at this point, everything is just on paper.

                                        Randy Smidt

                                      • jmac_han
                                        Message 19 of 28 , Jan 22, 2002
                                          Congratulations, Ell, on your extraordinary work promoting model
                                          railroading and "Z" in your community. You have provided an
                                          excellent service to us all with your successful work of the last 10
                                          years with the Rockville Lions Train Show and the Fairfax Museum
                                          Train Show.

                                          Your name has been added to the growing list of "Z" Ambassadors who
                                          have made a contribution to Z-scale in 2001-2002. It's a great
                                          pleasure to know that our members can contact a Show Manager who is
                                          more than sympathetic towards "Z".

                                          All the best for 2002.

                                          Keep "Z" trains rolling,

                                          Jeffrey MacHan
                                          Moderator

                                          P.S.: I'd love to add Susan Shrader to the Ambassador List but she
                                          does not seem to be a member of Z_Scale. Why don't you tell her
                                          about us, Ell? ;-)

                                          --- In z_scale@y..., Ell Geib <geib@e...> wrote:
                                          > Hi,
                                          > My name is Ellsworth Geib (I usually go by Ell). I live about
                                          60
                                          > miles south of Washington, DC in southern Maryland, USA. I have
                                          been displaying the Z-scale layout each year at
                                          my
                                          > Rockville Lions Train Show on the second weekend in November and at
                                          > the Fairfax Station Museum Train Show on the first weekend in
                                          > December for 10 years now.
                                          SNIP
                                          > As a member of the Rockville Lions Club in Rockville, Maryland
                                          > (about 10 miles northwest of Washington DC) I started a train show
                                          as
                                          > a one-day fund raising affair in 1991. We expanded it to 2 days in
                                          > 1992.
                                          > We now have 2 Z-scale
                                          > layouts, mine and a rather unique one by a member of another Lions
                                          > Club, Susan Shrader. I am planning on writing something about
                                          Susan's
                                          > layout for Z-Track magazine. I am still the primary coordinator for
                                          > the show, even though I retired, moved to southern Maryland 4 years
                                          > ago, and joined a different Lions Club.
                                          >
                                          > Ell Geib
                                        • WILLIAM AND BARBARA BROCK
                                          Message 20 of 28 , Jan 22, 2002
                                            Boy it sounds like you have a lot of fun! I would
                                            nominate you for Z ambassador, if that is possible.
                                            Keep up the good work and the fun.

                                            Will

                                            =====
                                            WILLIAM BROCK

                                            Send FREE video emails in Yahoo! Mail!
                                            http://promo.yahoo.com/videomail/
                                          • Ell Geib
                                            Message 21 of 28 , Jan 25, 2002
                                              Jeffrey,
                                              Thank you for the designation of "Z" Ambassador. I have a
                                              correction to what you put on the web site. I am not the show
                                              director for the Fairfax Station Museum Train Show. I simply display
                                              my z-scale layout and help the director out if I can. The director of
                                              that show, "Clem" Clement, is a Lionel collector. He volunteers as a
                                              Loco Doctor at my Rockville show and I reciprocate by giving time to
                                              his show. At one point I helped him by doing some Loco Doctoring for
                                              HO and N locomotives. Frankly the best fix for most HO and N scale
                                              locomotives that are brought in is to toss them in the trash. They
                                              are usually low cost items whose repair is more costly than a new
                                              moderately priced engine.

                                              The Loco Doctor idea for shows such as these is popular. Many
                                              people bring in old Lionel toy trains that no longer work. Clem can
                                              often "repair" a Lionel engine by simply doing some basic cleaning.
                                              The person bringing in the engine goes away very happy. There is no
                                              charge for simple repairs. If, in his evaluation of the problem, Clem
                                              finds more serious repairs needed, he gives a rough estimate of cost
                                              and tells people where to get the repairs done. The area around his
                                              work table often has as many people looking on as some of the train
                                              layouts. Plus he brings a bunch of low cost toy trains and spreads
                                              them on the floor for the little ones to play with. The little kids
                                              love it.

                                              I have to tell this story. We had one of the members of the
                                              Rockville Lions Club bring a 1950s era Lionel engine in for Clem to
                                              look at. The engine simply would not run and it was worth maybe $150
                                              to $200. When Clem looked at it he then took it around to all of the
                                              model railroad groups to show them something that was a real no-no.
                                              The engine was one of the early versions that had the Lionel
                                              magna-traction system. For those not familiar with this, the wheels
                                              were magnetized and that gave the engine excellent traction so it
                                              could pull more cars and go up grades. The Lion had cleaned his track
                                              with steel wool. You might get away with that if you then very
                                              thoroughly vacuumed the track. The Lion had not done that and the
                                              small steel particles from the steel wool were all over the wheels
                                              and throughout the mechanism. That repair required using tweezers and
                                              many hours to remove all of the steel particles. Needless to say that
                                              was not a freebie. To make matters worse for the Lion, the Club said
                                              he should donate some money since he took up the time of the Loco
                                              Doctor with a dumb problem of his own making. That was done in good
                                              humor, but he did donate money to the Club. And he was the recipient
                                              of a lot of jokes about what he had done.

                                              Ell

                                            • Ian Buck <ian.comboio@virgin.net>
                                              Message 22 of 28 , Feb 18, 2003
                                                Hi All

                                                As a new member to this group I had btter tell you something about
                                                me. I have been interested in Z gauge since 1983 when my wife bought
                                                me the starter set with the diesel shunter and banana van. Since
                                                then I have ammassed a collection of 38 locomotives, 76 coaches and
                                                50 wagons.

                                                My main interests are German diesels and beer vans. I have three
                                                layouts, the Noch uitcase, a small German branch line and a Belgian
                                                station.

                                                Thats all for now

                                                All the best

                                                Ian Buck
                                              • Jay & Anne Greer
                                                Message 23 of 28 , Feb 19, 2003
                                                  Hi Ian,
                                                  Welcome to Znuts! I say that because, along with the rest of us , I am most
                                                  likely considered to be a Z fanatic by modelers in other scales. I have
                                                  been smitten by those magnificent little German Jewels ever since they
                                                  first hit the market!
                                                  Nice to have you with us!
                                                  Jay Greer/Chief Conductor, Trax Inc.

                                                  From: "Ian Buck <ian.comboio@...>" <ian.comboio@...>
                                                  Date: Wed, 19 Feb 2003 05:28:57 -0000
                                                  To: z_scale@yahoogroups.com
                                                  Subject: [z_scale] Introduction

                                                  Hi All

                                                  As a new member to this group I had btter tell you something about
                                                  me. I have been interested in Z gauge since 1983 when my wife bought
                                                  me the starter set with the diesel shunter and banana van. Since
                                                  then I have ammassed a collection of 38 locomotives, 76 coaches and
                                                  50 wagons.

                                                  My main interests are German diesels and beer vans. I have three
                                                  layouts, the Noch uitcase, a small German branch line and a Belgian
                                                  station.

                                                  Thats all for now

                                                  All the best

                                                  Ian Buck

                                                  Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ADVERTISEMENT

                                                  <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

                                                • Patrick Tighe
                                                  Message 24 of 28 , Apr 1, 2003
                                                    Hello everyone,

                                                    I'm not exactly new to Z scale or to this list. I've been lurking
                                                    on the list now for about two months or so. I got started in Z
                                                    scale with a starter set in 1985 and built two layouts since.

                                                    I must say that I wish there had been a list like this back in 85.
                                                    The information I've found here is invaluable, whether you're just
                                                    starting out or are a Zeasoned veteran. I am also very happy to be
                                                    a member of a group that has such helpful and interesting people in
                                                    it.

                                                    I recently moved from Charleston, SC to Knoxville, TN. While I was
                                                    unpacking I realized two things. I didn't have much to keep me busy
                                                    being new to the area and I had enough track, structures and rolling
                                                    stock to build a new layout. And, so I am!!!

                                                    I developed a few ideas about what I wanted to do based on previous
                                                    layout experience before I got going. After a little thought I
                                                    decided on two simple things. First, I wanted to build something
                                                    modular, so that I could easily transport it and expand it.
                                                    Secondly, I wanted to start with something that would keep my
                                                    interest while I developed the rest of the layout.

                                                    Next, I set out to do a little research. Soon after I got started
                                                    in Z scale, MR brought out an article on a layout depicting the
                                                    Pacific Northwest built in three modules. That approach appealed to
                                                    me, but I realized that the operational apects of that layout were
                                                    not going to fit in with my second goal. Some of the links here
                                                    pointed me in the direction of the Z Mod and Z Track standards.
                                                    Those helped me decide on a shelf type layout to begin with,
                                                    however, they were a bit wider than the space I had available to me.
                                                    However, after seeing the Richmond modules, I decided that was
                                                    better for the available room I had. Since I couldn't find any
                                                    posted dimensions, I developed my own standard dimensions. I don't
                                                    see this as a drawback, as I haven't been able to find any other
                                                    modular clubs close enough to participate in.

                                                    Next, I made some decisions about operations and decided to build
                                                    the first module based on the Inglenook Sidings concept. After a
                                                    little more research on prototypes, I found an article from the
                                                    October 1978 Railway Modeler magazine entitled 'The Art of
                                                    Compromise' with an interesting Inglenook that had a runaround track
                                                    added for facing point operations. This became my theme.

                                                    I'm happy to say that since I've joined the group list, I've done
                                                    the research, built the benchwork, layed trackbed and track, wired
                                                    it (temporarily), and completed 'zip texturing' some basic scenery.
                                                    Which is surprising, considering that when I sit down to work on the
                                                    layout, I usually end up running trains.

                                                    Without the wealth of ideas and resources that this group has made
                                                    available, I'm certain that I'd still be on the dining room table
                                                    wrestling with different track layouts.

                                                    Thanks to everyone! I look forward to posting pictures (as soon as
                                                    I get them developed) and getting some input on where I'm going next.

                                                    Patrick
                                                  • Alain Pelletier
                                                    Message 25 of 28 , Jan 12, 2005
                                                      Hi, My name is Alain Pelletier.

                                                      I am a Professional electrical Engineer registered in the province of
                                                      New Brunswick Canada.

                                                      I am interested in trains of all scales but more to the point, I enjoy
                                                      scale modeling.

                                                      I started an online store for N scale in May of last year and now I am
                                                      finding out that Z scale is alive and well.

                                                      I would like to offer you free samples of my traffic signs.
                                                      http://www.traffic-signs.scale-train.com/?scale=z

                                                      I will also make available some resources already available in N to Z -
                                                      Right now I am working on Graffiti to convert to Z as well as other
                                                      scales.

                                                      http://www.etched-brass.scale-train.com/windmill-z.php

                                                      http://www.real-graffiti.n.scale-train.com/

                                                      http://www.etched-brass.scale-train.com/mountain-bike.php

                                                      Please let me know your thoughts

                                                      Alain Pelletier
                                                    • Jim Glass
                                                      Message 26 of 28 , Feb 3, 2005
                                                        Thanks for the samples; will show them at our next train meet.

                                                        Jim Glass
                                                        Redmond, WA

                                                        http://www.traffic-signs.scale-train.com/?scale=z<http://www.traffic-signs.scale-train.com/?scale=z>

                                                        http://www.etched-brass.scale-train.com/windmill-z.php<http://www.etched-brass.scale-train.com/windmill-z.php>

                                                        http://www.real-graffiti.n.scale-train.com/<http://www.real-graffiti.n.scale-train.com/>

                                                        http://www.etched-brass.scale-train.com/mountain-bike.php<http://www.etched-brass.scale-train.com/mountain-bike.php>

                                                        Please let me know your thoughts

                                                        Alain Pelletier

                                                      • John Claudino
                                                        Message 27 of 28 , Dec 10, 2010
                                                          Hi,

                                                          My name is John Claudino and am new to the list. I received my first model train (American Flyer for Christmas) in 1948 at the age of 10 and have dabbled in them ever science. I now manufacture model railroad products. My hobby turned into a business and now my business has forced my hobby to the back burner. I have a booth at the Worlds Greatest Hobby show in Omaha, NE 1/15-16/11 ( WGHT Web site). If you are going to attend the show please stop by the Aztec Booth and say hello.

                                                          Thank you.

                                                          John Claudino

                                                          AZTEC MANUFACTURING CO.

                                                        • John Claudino
                                                          Message 28 of 28 , Dec 24, 2010
                                                            Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to all.

                                                            John Claudino

                                                            AZTEC MANUFACTURING CO.