New player in Z-scale in Japan

  • Garth Hamilton
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 8, 2006
      Well now you see it and now it sold out.

      Earlier today on the Hobby World web site I found a new 50.00 dollar
      box set of Japanese Z-scale and they had stock of 2 pieces and as I
      write this I see they are both gone. This box was from Takara Tomy.
      They also had 2 boxes of the Akia 485 ZJ-scale trains as well and
      they are gone now. IF you remember Takara was of the manufacturer of
      the M-gauge stuff one could find for very reasonable prices on the
      internet and I converted some of it to run on Z-scale track and
      showed it on my web pages. Well in March of this year Takara and
      Tomy joined forces. Tomy is the world's largerst toy maker and under
      Tomytec have been offering lots of diorama stuff in N-scale recently
      for the Japanese modeler and under Tomix name offer lots of quality
      N-scale train items from track to buildings to vehicles to scenery to
      just about anything to do with trains and building layouts. They are
      also into HO now in a limited way.

      Well I found that under the Takara Tomy label they are offering or
      were offering 1:220 Z-scale models of the 115 express series used in
      suburban service in most major cities of Japan. They offered a box of
      10 pieces of which you knew 9 and the 10th I think is a mystery piece
      the power car for one of the series with pantographs that rais e and
      lower. They models come with diorama plastic track and poles for the
      overhead but no wire. I think the head end car has operating lights.
      I could very well be mistaken on some of the details as I am not a
      reader of the Japanese language in any form.

      Found one picture of the box set and have included on page 4 of my
      Japanese z-scale pages on www.nn3.ca under the Main menu heading.

      regards
      Garth
    • Larry Card
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 8, 2006
        >Well I found that under the Takara Tomy label they are offering or
        >were offering 1:220 Z-scale models of the 115 express series used in
        >suburban service in most major cities of Japan.

        Is this powered from the rails the same as the Akia sets?
        V/R
        Larry P. Card
        Franklinton NC

        Get the latest Windows Live Messenger 8.1 Beta version.�Join now.
        http://ideas.live.com
      • Randall Smidt
        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 8, 2006
          Can't really tell from the pictures, but it looks like it is probably plastic track like the 1:200 Takara sets were. I might even be the same track.

          Randy

          Larry Card <lpcard@...> wrote:

          >Well I found that under the Takara Tomy label they are offering or
          >were offering 1:220 Z-scale models of the 115 express series used in
          >suburban service in most major cities of Japan.

          Is this powered from the rails the same as the Akia sets?
          V/R
          Larry P. Card
          Franklinton NC

        • Ell Geib
          Message 4 of 5 , Dec 9, 2006
            Garth,

            Whatever happened to those really tiny Japanese models - T-scale? And
            if they really work and are available, how does one get them?

            Ell Geib
          • Garth Hamilton
            Message 5 of 5 , Dec 10, 2006
              At 09:40 PM 12/9/2006, "Ell Geib" wrote:

              >Garth,
              >
              >Whatever happened to those really tiny Japanese models - T-scale? And
              >if they really work and are available, how does one get them?
              >
              >Ell Geib

              The latest word is late March 2007 for being available. How to get
              it. I guess the best answer is to find and cultivate a friend in
              Japan. I have no idea what distribution will be like. They say they
              plan to sell it themselves also so how that will work for English
              speakers is probably nil. Most of my finds are just pure persistence
              and looking several places once or twice a week to see what is new.

              This evening I learned that the Takara Tomy 115 stuff is battery
              powered but this time runs on 6.5mm track. They supply the sections
              but not sure how it all fits together and I suspect it is all
              plastic. Got a box coming before Christmas so will now more then.

              It seems the magic number is 5000 JPY for this stuff. Takara Tomy is
              that price and the Akia 485 was very close to this price and ten or
              twelve pieces in a box. Very interesting stuff.

              regards
              Garth