Re: No deals at the train store

  • Jim O'Connell
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 3, 2006
      Wumpt, And you will be very lucky to find any good deals at you LHS
      anymore. At 62 I've seen hobby shops grow up from behind the counter
      in bicycle shops in the 50's, to full blown hobby only entities in
      the 60's. The shops seemed to have perfected their businesses
      through the 70's and went on the gravy train in the 80's. By the
      90's however the basic hobby/train shop clientele got older. Also in
      the 80's youngsters for the most part figured out that sitting in
      front of the TV was more entertaining than going to the park and
      playing football or baseball. Also, society changed and parents
      became somewhat fearful of encouraging independence in the children
      and were happy to have them cooped up in the house all day. Then
      video games. Now, this is still continuing and those children of the
      70' and 80's have little clue as to the adventures of the world
      beyond the flat screen. All this translates to less reason even to
      go to a hobby/train store, let alone interact with something that
      you have to sort of self motivate your own urges to make something
      happen. Of course, if you have a generation of TV/video watchers
      then most of these people will never find there way into a train
      store. Simple econ says with less customers, less bargains. I live
      in a big metro area of 3 million souls. THREE train stores! When I
      ask the owners, "What's up?" They say their best clientele has been
      the from the 'Class of '46'. Those gentlemen are now old and
      disappearing from the scene. Who's left? Persons who have had the
      chance to have a father who guided them, or had the luck to outgrow
      the need for video stimuli. Don't believe me? Check out the age
      group that stands in line for days to purchase an Xbox or to see the
      latest 'Star Wars'. These people will plunk down $500 without a
      thought. But you will have to have sharp eye to catch one spending
      $155 on a GP-35. Overall our railroading hobby is still viable but
      hardly growing. Z scalers seem to come from other scales so we are
      fairly vibrant. 10 years from now, who knows? So, I feel that
      hobby/train shops will slowly fade away. When I arrived in San Diego
      in 1989 there were 7 dedicated train shops. Now 3. What with eBay
      and the chance at bargains and selection, you may never find at you
      local train shop it is no wonder. I can't blame the LHS owner. They
      are to be commended for 'staying the course' none of them I know are
      getting rich. Cheers, Jim A New CCRR
    • non
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 3, 2006
        Hope it wasn't my store here in Houston, Texas.
        I have a large section of Z scale and I offer 20% off list.
        I have two website now. Due to the fact my N scalers would not read
        and would order Z scale and the same for the Z scalers.
        So I have a N scale website and Z scale one.

        http://www.zscalemodeltrains.com

        Aaron
        --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "whumpt" <whumpt@...> wrote:

        > I went to the train store yesterday where they have a pretty good
        > selection of Z. I was going to buy myself a little something for
        > Christmas. I thought they might have some deals, being the Christmas
        > season and all. But I was wrong there were no deals at the train
        > store. Every thing seemed to be the regular price. Now I go to this
        > store all year and buy track and turnouts and cars etc. You would
        > think that the owner would have a few deals for the holidays but no
        > way. So, I went home logged on to ebay, where they had a better
        > selection then at the train store, and put in a bid on a like new
        loco
        > that I had wanted for some time. If I owned the train store I think
        > would rather make a little less on a loco or a car or whatever then
        > have my customer buy it on ebay where I would make nothing. Bill

      • sgt_tim7
        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 3, 2006
          No Deals from the LHS's!

          I know what you mean! Saw the LHS across the street from me fold up
          last Christmas. But, this year I am lucky to have a Web-only Hobby
          Store move into my community and decide to open it's doors to both
          foot and web traffic. They are offering the same discounts as
          online and the owner told me he is amazed at the amount of customers
          he is visited by.

          http://www.4nscale.com has a huge selection of N scale, and also Z
          scale. Deal is, they offer them at the 20% discount too!

          Loren Snyder, who lives minutes from MTL offers the same, if not
          similar discounts.

          Z Scale Monster 20%, Z Scale Hobo 20%, and others at 20% off of
          MTL's MSRP. So, who do you shop from now?

          Question is, how bad do you want it or how fast do you need it?

          Variety is also an option. I want to buy some MTL, some AZL, some
          Cylidrical hoppers, some PennZee hoppers, some of Loren's Tunnel
          Portals, some of this, that and the other.

          Do I want to shop for the cheapest prices? Hell Yes!!!!! But, and
          their is always a but in the equation. But, if you find all of
          these items cheaper on a total of 3-4 different websites, what has
          this accomplished? 3-4 shipping prices! Bummer!

          Variety and Price are things I look for. This fact has narrowed the
          available online Z scale hobby stores that I use for now, instead of
          having 20-30 online sources, I have now have 1-3 stores to shop at!
          One price, one shipping.

          And, if this web site has this huge variety of Z items, then you
          know his service is fast and courteous.

          In conclusion, if all LHS's posted seasonal deals, they might drive
          the masses to their stores, but if their variety is limited, then
          this probably won't happen.

          Model Trains, Local Hobby Stores, and Deals are complex equations
          usually ending in an odd number! No Deals!

          Hobo Tim

          Disclaimer: I can not vouch for the accuracy of the %Percentages%
          listed above for all web based stores, but I know I am close!
        • non
          Message 4 of 5 , Dec 3, 2006
            As a Z scale store owner, I see more and more HOers and N scaler
            starting into Z scale due to Micro-trains Track. MTL has helped the
            Z scaler more than any discounters could help.
            Five years ago, I could sell one Z scale item in a month. Now that
            Micro-trains came out with their track I sell to 5 customers a week.
            Aaron