Re: Virtual Model Railroad Simulator

  • elf_rohirrim
    Message 1 of 9 , Dec 2, 2006
      --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, Ell Geib <geib@...> wrote:

      > In addition to appreciating the model, I would like to congratulate
      > you on the web site. I have a slow dial-up connection and am used to
      > most things taking forever to download. Your site just pops up on the
      > screen. Felt like I had a high speed connection.

      Glad you liked the site and little model.

      I just (finally) got a DSL line after many years of dial-up.
      From those years, I know how frustrating it is to have to
      wait for exceedingly superfluous data to download and
      then find out much of my wait time was for animate borders
      and other graphics that really didn't contribute to the
      'meaningful' content of a website. I didn't even try to build
      a web-site until the decision to go DSL had been
      implemented.

      I purposely put in the effort to create pixel-sparing versions
      of all the photos and uploaded those. (I photograph at the
      highest pixel resolution I can which allows me to then extract
      a 4x6 section of a picture without sacrificing detail. But
      those photos can be 1.5 MB or more -- each!) Without
      knowing what effect this extra step would have on Dial-up
      users, I was merely trying to get the most into the free
      webspace available to me. I am gratified to hear that it has
      the extra benefit of making it easier for those -- like you
      -- who have dial-up connections. Perhaps others are (or
      will) still be mindful of that technological hurdle that still
      exists for some, as they make other visual information
      available to members of this group.

      More coming to web site in the next weeks. I'll announce
      here as it happens.

      ELF