Re: I don't get it... shiny or dirty?

  • Ell Geib
    Message 1 of 13 , Dec 1, 2006
      She got to run her trains because she's better looking than you are Loren.

      Ell Geib
    • Edward Scullin
      Message 2 of 13 , Dec 2, 2006
        Isn't everyody. grin
        Ed Scullin

        --- Ell Geib <geib@...> wrote:

        > She got to run her trains because she's better looking than you are Loren.
        >
        > Ell Geib

      • Loren Snyder
        Message 3 of 13 , Dec 2, 2006
          Well Ed, .......I should sure hope so!

          Message 4 of 13 , Dec 2, 2006
            I've weathered almost all my cars and locos. Robert Ray got on the
            bandwagen with me and now almost every piece of rolling stock,
            passengers and locos are weathered to various levels. Some are as
            simple as Dull Cote'd to get that damn shine off. Others are chalked
            to at least bring about some sort of road use, at least along the
            bottom. Many of "dirt" on the door handles, roof walkways, stains
            where there should be, like tankers and of course rust on many cars.
            Some get the grafiti too. I did most of may passenger cars, even the
            Santa Fe and SP Daylight which were the 'pride' of the railroads but
            they weren't perfect either. Most of the weathering on the
            passengers was to show different contrasting usage, some cleaner,
            some dirtier; very obvious when placed side to side. Considering
            that we run a lot of modern diesel, one could say that I am modeling
            the last leg of the F7's and passenger service.

            I've only chalked mine. There are a few that might look a bit better
            (more density) with airbrushing.

            Jeff
            SF Bay Area Z

            > Oh, Karin was different all right :o) I think she was sane up until
            > Saturday night when she had to sit with Joe, Jim, and myself and
            listen to
            > us yak for an hour. Neve mind that she couldn't even pronounce the
            names of
            > the Indian foods she was trying to order. We went out for pie
            later on so
            > that made up for it all.
            >
            > I guess I have a question for any and all. Since Karin, myself,
            and others
            > I am sure disdain the shiny plastic look, is spraying dull coat the
            answer
            > to most of the problem? Or does a light misting of an air brush
            with either
            > gray, blac, or white also do the trick?
            > Answer time...........
            >
            > Just one more question for Karin......how come you got to run your
            ARR
            > rolling stock more than I did my stock? You know someone I don't?
            >
            > Loren

          • Loren Snyder
            Message 5 of 13 , Dec 2, 2006
              Jeff, or anyone else out there,

              Anyone ever try the Bragdon Enterprises Weather System Rust and Weather Kit?
              I have not yet begun to weather my rolling stock and I have the unopened
              kit. I plan to use it, but was wondering if anyone had used it before and
              if so, how did you like the product?
              Loren

            • odd1rails2006@comcast.net
              Message 6 of 13 , Dec 2, 2006
                I use Bragdons, Dullcote, and rubbing alchol.

                Nick
                From: "Loren Snyder" <ljsnyder@...>

                > Jeff, or anyone else out there,
                >
                > Anyone ever try the Bragdon Enterprises Weather System Rust and Weather Kit?
                > I have not yet begun to weather my rolling stock and I have the unopened
                > kit. I plan to use it, but was wondering if anyone had used it before and
                > if so, how did you like the product?
                > Loren

              • Loren Snyder
                Message 7 of 13 , Dec 3, 2006
                  Nick,
                  And.................are you pleased with the results? What is the alcohol
                  used for?
                  Loren

                  From: "Loren Snyder" <ljsnyder@...>

                  > Jeff, or anyone else out there,
                  >
                  > Anyone ever try the Bragdon Enterprises Weather System Rust and Weather
                  Kit?
                  > I have not yet begun to weather my rolling stock and I have the unopened
                  > kit. I plan to use it, but was wondering if anyone had used it before and
                  > if so, how did you like the product?
                  > Loren

                • Loren Snyder
                  Message 8 of 13 , Dec 3, 2006
                    Forgot to ask you Nick........do you use the spray or bottle Dullcote?

                    Message 9 of 13 , Dec 3, 2006
                      The very first ling i do to help any Band X (MTL) car or pennzee or full throttel car is to spray it with dullcote. It takes the shine out and they look better. Then play with chalk until your happy.Note ATSF hoppers use rubbing alchol after dullcote dries. Let the rubbing alchol dry, you'll notice it will start to turn the car white, then use the chalks.

                      Nick
                      From: "Loren Snyder" <ljsnyder@...>
                      > Forgot to ask you Nick........do you use the spray or bottle Dullcote?

                    • Jim O'Connell
                      Message 10 of 13 , Dec 3, 2006

                        > Jeff, or anyone else out there,
                        >
                        > Anyone ever try the Bragdon Enterprises Weather System Rust and
                        Weather Kit?

                        Loren, I have used Bragdon's weathering system since I purchased it
                        at a train show here in San Diego in 1997. I endorse the product 100
                        % for whatever that is worth. I leave the airbrushing to those with
                        the money and talent to use one. For me? Bragdon all the way. Cheers,
                        Jim A New CCRR
                      • Loren Snyder
                        Message 11 of 13 , Dec 3, 2006
                          Thanks Jim,

                          Now I know for sure I have to sit down, tear into my package of stains and
                          go for it!
                          Loren