Re: [Z_Scale] Re: I don't get it... shiny or dirty?

  • Randall Smidt
    Message 1 of 13 , Dec 1, 2006
      Loren,

      Some types will just need a spray of dullcoat, but more often than not, you will need to paint the plastic since some give a translucent look and actually let some light through. I think this has been discussed previously in relation to interior lighting in buildings and some plastic models having the walls "glow".

      Randy

      Loren Snyder <ljsnyder@...> wrote:

      I guess I have a question for any and all. Since Karin, myself, and others
      I am sure disdain the shiny plastic look, is spraying dull coat the answer
      to most of the problem? Or does a light misting of an air brush with either
      gray, blac, or white also do the trick?
      Answer time...........

      Loren

      Message 2 of 13 , Dec 1, 2006
        She got to run her trains because she's better looking than you are Loren.

        Ell Geib
      • Edward Scullin
        Message 3 of 13 , Dec 2, 2006
          Isn't everyody. grin
          Ed Scullin

          --- Ell Geib <geib@...> wrote:

          > She got to run her trains because she's better looking than you are Loren.
          >
          > Ell Geib

        • Loren Snyder
          Message 4 of 13 , Dec 2, 2006
            Well Ed, .......I should sure hope so!

            Message 5 of 13 , Dec 2, 2006
              I've weathered almost all my cars and locos. Robert Ray got on the
              bandwagen with me and now almost every piece of rolling stock,
              passengers and locos are weathered to various levels. Some are as
              simple as Dull Cote'd to get that damn shine off. Others are chalked
              to at least bring about some sort of road use, at least along the
              bottom. Many of "dirt" on the door handles, roof walkways, stains
              where there should be, like tankers and of course rust on many cars.
              Some get the grafiti too. I did most of may passenger cars, even the
              Santa Fe and SP Daylight which were the 'pride' of the railroads but
              they weren't perfect either. Most of the weathering on the
              passengers was to show different contrasting usage, some cleaner,
              some dirtier; very obvious when placed side to side. Considering
              that we run a lot of modern diesel, one could say that I am modeling
              the last leg of the F7's and passenger service.

              I've only chalked mine. There are a few that might look a bit better
              (more density) with airbrushing.

              Jeff
              SF Bay Area Z

              > Oh, Karin was different all right :o) I think she was sane up until
              > Saturday night when she had to sit with Joe, Jim, and myself and
              listen to
              > us yak for an hour. Neve mind that she couldn't even pronounce the
              names of
              > the Indian foods she was trying to order. We went out for pie
              later on so
              > that made up for it all.
              >
              > I guess I have a question for any and all. Since Karin, myself,
              and others
              > I am sure disdain the shiny plastic look, is spraying dull coat the
              answer
              > to most of the problem? Or does a light misting of an air brush
              with either
              > gray, blac, or white also do the trick?
              > Answer time...........
              >
              > Just one more question for Karin......how come you got to run your
              ARR
              > rolling stock more than I did my stock? You know someone I don't?
              >
              > Loren

            • Loren Snyder
              Message 6 of 13 , Dec 2, 2006
                Jeff, or anyone else out there,

                Anyone ever try the Bragdon Enterprises Weather System Rust and Weather Kit?
                I have not yet begun to weather my rolling stock and I have the unopened
                kit. I plan to use it, but was wondering if anyone had used it before and
                if so, how did you like the product?
                Loren

              • odd1rails2006@comcast.net
                Message 7 of 13 , Dec 2, 2006
                  Loren
                  I use Bragdons, Dullcote, and rubbing alchol.

                  Nick
                  From: "Loren Snyder" <ljsnyder@...>

                  > Jeff, or anyone else out there,
                  >
                  > Anyone ever try the Bragdon Enterprises Weather System Rust and Weather Kit?
                  > I have not yet begun to weather my rolling stock and I have the unopened
                  > kit. I plan to use it, but was wondering if anyone had used it before and
                  > if so, how did you like the product?
                  > Loren

                • Loren Snyder
                  Message 8 of 13 , Dec 3, 2006
                    Nick,
                    And.................are you pleased with the results? What is the alcohol
                    used for?

                    From: "Loren Snyder" <ljsnyder@...>

                    > Jeff, or anyone else out there,
                    >
                    > Anyone ever try the Bragdon Enterprises Weather System Rust and Weather
                    Kit?
                    > I have not yet begun to weather my rolling stock and I have the unopened
                    > kit. I plan to use it, but was wondering if anyone had used it before and
                    > if so, how did you like the product?
                    > Loren

                  • Loren Snyder
                    Message 9 of 13 , Dec 3, 2006
                      Forgot to ask you Nick........do you use the spray or bottle Dullcote?

                      Message 10 of 13 , Dec 3, 2006
                        The very first ling i do to help any Band X (MTL) car or pennzee or full throttel car is to spray it with dullcote. It takes the shine out and they look better. Then play with chalk until your happy.Note ATSF hoppers use rubbing alchol after dullcote dries. Let the rubbing alchol dry, you'll notice it will start to turn the car white, then use the chalks.

                        Nick
                        From: "Loren Snyder" <ljsnyder@...>
                        > Forgot to ask you Nick........do you use the spray or bottle Dullcote?

                      • Jim O'Connell
                        Message 11 of 13 , Dec 3, 2006

                          > Jeff, or anyone else out there,
                          >
                          > Anyone ever try the Bragdon Enterprises Weather System Rust and
                          Weather Kit?

                          Loren, I have used Bragdon's weathering system since I purchased it
                          at a train show here in San Diego in 1997. I endorse the product 100
                          % for whatever that is worth. I leave the airbrushing to those with
                          the money and talent to use one. For me? Bragdon all the way. Cheers,
                          Jim A New CCRR
                        • Loren Snyder
                          Message 12 of 13 , Dec 3, 2006
                            Thanks Jim,

                            Now I know for sure I have to sit down, tear into my package of stains and
                            go for it!
                            Loren