Re: AZL/SZL trip to Korea

  • Adam
    Message 1 of 14 , Dec 1, 2006
      Rob,

      An yon ha se yo!

      Welcome back. I don't know if this was your first trip to Korea,
      but I've been there a few times with the Air Force... Needless to
      say at least you had good reason to go.

      Isn't that injection mold-making stuff cool? Stephen Moore and I
      just returned from Tokyo where we visited the Kato factory. Hiroshi
      Kato was a fantastic host and gave us the guided tour from design to
      assembly, and the fun stuff in between. I have a new-found
      appreciation for the model-making process, so I can certainly
      appreciate the steps AZL is going through to make their
      models "right".

      I look forward to seeing the (an a particular one) GP7s in person...

      Kam sam ni da!
      Thanks for sharing!

      Adam
    • John & Sue Bartolotto
      Message 2 of 14 , Dec 1, 2006
        Rob,

        Any AZL steam loco plans in the future?

        John Bartolotto

        _____

        Message 3 of 14 , Dec 4, 2006
          Hi All,

          This is Joe, from the firm Brand X, formally known as MTL (wonder if
          my paycheck will be difficult to deposit this week?) Just back from
          a trip to Walmart where I got sheets of plywood to fabricate our new
          GP-9's, also got a gallon of black housepaint and rubber stamps so we
          could do PRR as our first release. We also opted for rubber band
          drive so I picked up a few boxes of those from the Office Supply
          isle, modern rubber bands have more life than the ones I used to
          shoot my neighbor's cat as a kid. So far, production is going
          well... :o)

          Seriously, if that is possible....Rob made the point about undec's
          I'd like to underscore. We produced a boat load of Undec's at the
          urging of Rob Kluz :op and were confronted with the cost and extra
          inventory (Rob, we need to talk :o0 ). Folks expected a price
          reduction cause they were undecorated, but the painting and printing
          represent a small part of the cost to build these guys. I thought
          they would be cheeper too, but when I saw the numbers, realized the
          most you would save was a few dollars, so...Marketing made the call.
          Since I don't expect Rob to send me a check for the extra inventory,
          do me a favor and buy a few of these so I can pay for Breakfast with
          Loren next week.

          Well the lights are flickering and I have to go out back and whip the
          burro's turning the wheel on the generator...

          Chao!

          Joe
          Brand X

          --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "Robert Allbritton" <robert@...>
          wrote:

> [...]
          >

          > We have just concluded many days of exciting discussions and I can
          say that
          > the future of Z scale looks great! Perhaps the best news is that we
          have
          > listened to you, our customers, and we intend to deliver what you
          want. We
          > will continue to expand our line of plastic injection models with a
          focus on
          > prototypical detail, outstanding decoration, and superior operating
          > characteristics. We will also continue to develop short run Brass
          models for
          > both the collector connoisseur and operator.
          >

          > Thanks for buying AZL.
          >
          > -Rob Allbriton
          >

          > PS: I'm not an engineer, so please don't take me to task if I got
          some
          > details wrong. If I got a few things messed up, I really am

        • Loren Snyder
          Message 4 of 14 , Dec 4, 2006
            Joe,
            I sure hope you bought Select Interior plywood with no knot holes. I don't
            want a second class finish on my new locos! And don't subject those rubber
            bands to any sunlight before you install them in the drive mechanism, or
            else the ultraviolet light will weaken the horsepower and give less pulling
            power. Oh well, it doesn't matter anyway, as switchers aren't supposed to
            haul huge loads anyway.
            And is that paint oil based or latex? I want the surface to be shiny for a
            long time.

            Yes, seriously for just a moment,.......someday I bet a lot of folks want
            to get some of those undecorated and do their own paint schemes.
            So don't throw those undecs back into the stew pot just yet. I even managed
            to send one to a customer last week, so they are slowly being used up
            (serious moment over).

            Custom painting is yet another project I'd love to be doing, but at the
            moment, I'm busy sharpening my axe to go into the woods yet again to chop
            down more of those spotted owl roosting trees. I've found yet another
            customer who needs loads of trees and the owls are just going to have to go
            roost in some old barn or on top of a power pole somewhere. They make
            better targets when they are out in the open like that and silhouetted
            against a blue sky :o)

            Joe's chief burro handler, (pooper scooper)

            Loren

            Message 5 of 14 , Dec 4, 2006
              In a message dated 12/4/06 10:56:19 AM, shipsure2003@... writes:

              > We produced a boat load of Undec's at the
              > urging of Rob Kluz :op and were confronted with the cost and extra
              > inventory (Rob, we need to talk :o0 )

              How did I get drawn into this? I also told you Joe to only offer pre 1900
              trains that operated above the arctic circle. But do you listen to me on that
              one... NO.... There is a gold mine with that niche!!!! One question, will you
              include extra rubber bands the GP9s? I am thinking their is a huge potential in
              aftermarket rubber band sales.

              I think at this point, both you and Loren now owe me lunch...

              LOL!
              Rob

              Ztrack Magazine Ltd.
              6142 Northcliff Blvd.
              Dublin, OH 43016
              phone/fax: (614) 764-1703
              http://www.ztrack.com/
              Distributor American Z Line

            • Loren Snyder
              Message 6 of 14 , Dec 4, 2006
                Ok Rob,
                By mentioning arctic circle you probably have Karin all excited thinking
                that you guys are going to offer ARR to us finally.......yeah sure!

                I'll buy both you guys lunch, but this time I want to eat vegetarian.....I'm
                getting tired of all this bull :o)

                Still instigating whenever I can.

                Come on Joe and Rob, let's get these Geeps on the road............now!
                Loren

                Message 7 of 14 , Dec 4, 2006
                  In a message dated 12/4/06 6:18:07 PM, ljsnyder@... writes:

                  > Come on Joe and Rob, let's get these Geeps on the road............now!
                  > Loren

                  Loren,

                  On the road now... will in a few weeks work for you? Good things are
                  comings... quickly. Anyone receive their January copy of MR? Take a close look at the
                  AZL ad on page 25 (note the date has been pushed back by three weeks).

                  Sorry, don't do vegan. Beef buddy... where's the beef?

                  Rob

                  Ztrack Magazine Ltd.
                  6142 Northcliff Blvd.
                  Dublin, OH 43016
                  phone/fax: (614) 764-1703
                  http://www.ztrack.com/
                  Distributor American Z Line

                • Don Avila
                  Message 8 of 14 , Dec 4, 2006
                    Rob:

                    What do you mean by "DCC READY". I asked Anthony and he didn't know. I
                    don't want to do a bunch of soldering etc.

                    Don
                    Akron, Ohio - USA

                    http://www.ztrack <http://www.ztrack.com/> com/

                    Message 9 of 14 , Dec 4, 2006
                      Ok Rob,
                      One more time for the burger or chicken patty, but then it's all carrots and
                      celery for me.
                      As some of us know, 2007 is going to cost many dollars if we buy all we want
                      Shucks, I might have to put my cat on a diet.....cat food costs a lot you
                      know, and I think if she tries hard, she can catch a few mice now and then.

                      I'll bet that more will be released in Z scale in 2007 than the previous 3
                      years, any takers?
                      Loren

                      Message 10 of 14 , Dec 4, 2006
                        In a message dated 12/4/06 8:54:52 PM, ljsnyder@... writes:

                        > I'll bet that more will be released in Z scale in 2007 than the previous 3
                        > years, any takers?

                        Loren,

                        I think you are right. The North American market is really growing and the
                        options are increasing almost weekly!

                        I do hope we see in increase in releases from Marklin to start to take care
                        of the European wish lists. Also, SZL should have a new locomotive on the
                        market in 2007. It is a great time to be in Z!

                        Message 11 of 14 , Dec 4, 2006
                          Don,

                          All AZL locos since the SD45 run come DCC ready. What this means is that a
                          pocket, or in the case of the F59PHI, an insulated socket has been built into
                          the chassis for a DCC decoder. The SD70s PCB actually has spots for the DCC wire
                          to attach. TCS is working on a drop in DCC decoder that will replace the SD70
                          PCB board. This will be similar to the board Digitrax designed for MTL's
                          GP35.