RE: [Z_Scale] AZL/SZL trip to Korea

  • Gert Velthuizen
    Message 1 of 14 , Nov 30, 2006
      Hear, Hear!!

      Right you are Loren, we are all contributing in way to upload the Z scale (at least we should or we try) and everyone is talking/writing about AZL and MicroTrains in the same respectfull way, thankfull of what they present us.

      Keep all up our positive attitude, please!!

      Gert

      To: z_scale@yahoogroups.comFrom: ljsnyder@...: Thu, 30 Nov 2006 22:39:41 -0800Subject: Re: [Z_Scale] AZL/SZL trip to Korea

      Robert, I can fully appreciate your view point regarding undecorated, no issue therebut......... How come Joe from MTL isn't afraid to mention AZL, but you refer to MTL asBrand X? There appears to be obvious bias on your part, (and that is ok),but in my humble opinion the forum isn't the place to air it. We are allbiased towards certain things, but on this forum I think we should stayneutral in our comments about other's products. I'm obviously going to start a fire storm here, but it seems to me that sofar you are the only one who is afraid to say MTL. Rob Kluz and Joe jestwith each other and they have tremendous respect for each other and eachother's products, and they aren't afraid to mention the other's products. Is one brand superior to the other? Perhaps in some ways, but the oppositeis likely true also. Each brand has its pluses and minuses. Funny, but I've never heard Joe discuss AZL's faults in public as heperceives them to be....... He and I have discussed the virtues of both MTLand AZL in private, but we have kept it to ourselves. I'm a MTL dealer, but I do not discuss any manufacturer's good and badpoints on the forum. I'm a bit disappointed by your comments about Brand XLoren -------Original Message------- From: Robert Allbritton Date: 11/30/06 21:55:43 To: z_scale@yahoogroups.com Subject: [Z_Scale] AZL/SZL trip to Korea Hi All, Normally I let Rob Kluz handle all of the AZL/SZL Corporate Communications, but since I just got off a 14 hour flight from Korea, and I'm half delirious from too much kimchi, let me share a little of my visit with Ajin: <snip> While both AZL and "Brand X" models use high quality motors (we use Faulhaber, they use Maxon) our colleagues at "Brand X" have oversized the width of the hood and cab on both their GP35 and GP9 products. This allows them to put more metal in the frame and have a heavier locomotive. We chose to take another path. We imbed a photo etched brass panel in the sidewall of the hood of the locomotive. This has two benefits: First, it allows additional heat wicking away from the motor, and Second, it allows the shell to hug the motor closer. The result is that the width of our hood and cab on our SD70 and GP7 products are the correct in scale dimension and size. [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

    • Adam
      Message 2 of 14 , Dec 1, 2006
        Rob,

        An yon ha se yo!

        Welcome back. I don't know if this was your first trip to Korea,
        but I've been there a few times with the Air Force... Needless to
        say at least you had good reason to go.

        Isn't that injection mold-making stuff cool? Stephen Moore and I
        just returned from Tokyo where we visited the Kato factory. Hiroshi
        Kato was a fantastic host and gave us the guided tour from design to
        assembly, and the fun stuff in between. I have a new-found
        appreciation for the model-making process, so I can certainly
        appreciate the steps AZL is going through to make their
        models "right".

        I look forward to seeing the (an a particular one) GP7s in person...

        Kam sam ni da!
        Thanks for sharing!

        Adam
      • John & Sue Bartolotto
        Message 3 of 14 , Dec 1, 2006
          Rob,

          Any AZL steam loco plans in the future?

          John Bartolotto

          _____

          Message 4 of 14 , Dec 4, 2006
            Hi All,

            This is Joe, from the firm Brand X, formally known as MTL (wonder if
            my paycheck will be difficult to deposit this week?) Just back from
            a trip to Walmart where I got sheets of plywood to fabricate our new
            GP-9's, also got a gallon of black housepaint and rubber stamps so we
            could do PRR as our first release. We also opted for rubber band
            drive so I picked up a few boxes of those from the Office Supply
            isle, modern rubber bands have more life than the ones I used to
            shoot my neighbor's cat as a kid. So far, production is going
            well... :o)

            Seriously, if that is possible....Rob made the point about undec's
            I'd like to underscore. We produced a boat load of Undec's at the
            urging of Rob Kluz :op and were confronted with the cost and extra
            inventory (Rob, we need to talk :o0 ). Folks expected a price
            reduction cause they were undecorated, but the painting and printing
            represent a small part of the cost to build these guys. I thought
            they would be cheeper too, but when I saw the numbers, realized the
            most you would save was a few dollars, so...Marketing made the call.
            Since I don't expect Rob to send me a check for the extra inventory,
            do me a favor and buy a few of these so I can pay for Breakfast with
            Loren next week.

            Well the lights are flickering and I have to go out back and whip the
            burro's turning the wheel on the generator...

            Chao!

            Joe
            Brand X

            --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "Robert Allbritton" <robert@...>
            wrote:

> [...]
            >

            > We have just concluded many days of exciting discussions and I can
            say that
            > the future of Z scale looks great! Perhaps the best news is that we
            have
            > listened to you, our customers, and we intend to deliver what you
            want. We
            > will continue to expand our line of plastic injection models with a
            focus on
            > prototypical detail, outstanding decoration, and superior operating
            > characteristics. We will also continue to develop short run Brass
            models for
            > both the collector connoisseur and operator.
            >

            > Thanks for buying AZL.
            >
            > -Rob Allbriton
            >

            > PS: I'm not an engineer, so please don't take me to task if I got
            some
            > details wrong. If I got a few things messed up, I really am

          • Loren Snyder
            Message 5 of 14 , Dec 4, 2006
              Joe,
              I sure hope you bought Select Interior plywood with no knot holes. I don't
              want a second class finish on my new locos! And don't subject those rubber
              bands to any sunlight before you install them in the drive mechanism, or
              else the ultraviolet light will weaken the horsepower and give less pulling
              power. Oh well, it doesn't matter anyway, as switchers aren't supposed to
              haul huge loads anyway.
              And is that paint oil based or latex? I want the surface to be shiny for a
              long time.

              Yes, seriously for just a moment,.......someday I bet a lot of folks want
              to get some of those undecorated and do their own paint schemes.
              So don't throw those undecs back into the stew pot just yet. I even managed
              to send one to a customer last week, so they are slowly being used up
              (serious moment over).

              Custom painting is yet another project I'd love to be doing, but at the
              moment, I'm busy sharpening my axe to go into the woods yet again to chop
              down more of those spotted owl roosting trees. I've found yet another
              customer who needs loads of trees and the owls are just going to have to go
              roost in some old barn or on top of a power pole somewhere. They make
              better targets when they are out in the open like that and silhouetted
              against a blue sky :o)

              Joe's chief burro handler, (pooper scooper)

              Loren

              Message 6 of 14 , Dec 4, 2006
                In a message dated 12/4/06 10:56:19 AM, shipsure2003@... writes:

                > We produced a boat load of Undec's at the
                > urging of Rob Kluz :op and were confronted with the cost and extra
                > inventory (Rob, we need to talk :o0 )

                How did I get drawn into this? I also told you Joe to only offer pre 1900
                trains that operated above the arctic circle. But do you listen to me on that
                one... NO.... There is a gold mine with that niche!!!! One question, will you
                include extra rubber bands the GP9s? I am thinking their is a huge potential in
                aftermarket rubber band sales.

                I think at this point, both you and Loren now owe me lunch...

                LOL!
                Rob

                Ztrack Magazine Ltd.
                6142 Northcliff Blvd.
                Dublin, OH 43016
                phone/fax: (614) 764-1703
                http://www.ztrack.com/
                Distributor American Z Line

              • Loren Snyder
                Message 7 of 14 , Dec 4, 2006
                  Ok Rob,
                  By mentioning arctic circle you probably have Karin all excited thinking
                  that you guys are going to offer ARR to us finally.......yeah sure!

                  I'll buy both you guys lunch, but this time I want to eat vegetarian.....I'm
                  getting tired of all this bull :o)

                  Still instigating whenever I can.

                  Come on Joe and Rob, let's get these Geeps on the road............now!
                  Loren

                  Message 8 of 14 , Dec 4, 2006
                    In a message dated 12/4/06 6:18:07 PM, ljsnyder@... writes:

                    > Come on Joe and Rob, let's get these Geeps on the road............now!
                    > Loren

                    Loren,

                    On the road now... will in a few weeks work for you? Good things are
                    comings... quickly. Anyone receive their January copy of MR? Take a close look at the
                    AZL ad on page 25 (note the date has been pushed back by three weeks).

                    Sorry, don't do vegan. Beef buddy... where's the beef?

                    Rob

                    Ztrack Magazine Ltd.
                    6142 Northcliff Blvd.
                    Dublin, OH 43016
                    phone/fax: (614) 764-1703
                    http://www.ztrack.com/
                    Distributor American Z Line

                  • Don Avila
                    Message 9 of 14 , Dec 4, 2006
                      Rob:

                      What do you mean by "DCC READY". I asked Anthony and he didn't know. I
                      don't want to do a bunch of soldering etc.

                      Don
                      Akron, Ohio - USA

                      http://www.ztrack <http://www.ztrack.com/> com/

                      Message 10 of 14 , Dec 4, 2006
                        Ok Rob,
                        One more time for the burger or chicken patty, but then it's all carrots and
                        celery for me.
                        As some of us know, 2007 is going to cost many dollars if we buy all we want
                        Shucks, I might have to put my cat on a diet.....cat food costs a lot you
                        know, and I think if she tries hard, she can catch a few mice now and then.

                        I'll bet that more will be released in Z scale in 2007 than the previous 3
                        years, any takers?
                        Loren

                        Message 11 of 14 , Dec 4, 2006
                          In a message dated 12/4/06 8:54:52 PM, ljsnyder@... writes:

                          > I'll bet that more will be released in Z scale in 2007 than the previous 3
                          > years, any takers?

                          Loren,

                          I think you are right. The North American market is really growing and the
                          options are increasing almost weekly!

                          I do hope we see in increase in releases from Marklin to start to take care
                          of the European wish lists. Also, SZL should have a new locomotive on the
                          market in 2007. It is a great time to be in Z!

                          Message 12 of 14 , Dec 4, 2006
                            Don,

                            All AZL locos since the SD45 run come DCC ready. What this means is that a
                            pocket, or in the case of the F59PHI, an insulated socket has been built into
                            the chassis for a DCC decoder. The SD70s PCB actually has spots for the DCC wire
                            to attach. TCS is working on a drop in DCC decoder that will replace the SD70
                            PCB board. This will be similar to the board Digitrax designed for MTL's
                            GP35.