AZL/SZL trip to Korea

  • Robert Allbritton
    Message 1 of 14 , Nov 30, 2006
      Hi All,

      Normally I let Rob Kluz handle all of the AZL/SZL Corporate Communications,
      but since I just got off a 14 hour flight from Korea, and I'm half delirious
      from too much kimchi, let me share a little of my visit with Ajin:

      First, the question of undecorated models came up. Let me set the record
      straight on this one. AZL does not get any price break from Ajin if we order
      a model as "undecorated". I know this doesn't make any logical sense, but
      this is just the way Ajin does their pricing. There are minimum quantities
      for each paint scheme, so if we were to release an undecorated model, it
      would be the same price as a painted model, and we would have to give up one
      of our slots (roadnames) to make room for the undecorated model. Considering
      that undecorated models are the least popular, we have decided that we will
      not release any undecorated models.

      To sum up:

      1) Undecorated are the same cost as fully painted models

      2) We would have to eliminate a roadname to make room for an
      undecorated model

      3) Undecorated are historically not big sellers.

      If you want to repaint, I suggest the PRR model - it is mainly black, which
      makes a nice base coat.

      Second, the pictures that were posted are hand made samples. Hans and I took
      the pictures while they were still working on them. In fact we were probably
      getting in their way from finishing their work, so don't read too much into
      parts being a little off on assembly.

      Third, we got a chance to visit the tool makers (mold makers) and the
      injection plant. The quality of these models is really fantastic. We have
      made a strategic decision to make our AZL models as prototypical as
      possible.

      While both AZL and "Brand X" models use high quality motors (we use
      Faulhaber, they use Maxon) our colleagues at "Brand X" have oversized the
      width of the hood and cab on both their GP35 and GP9 products. This allows
      them to put more metal in the frame and have a heavier locomotive. We chose
      to take another path. We imbed a photo etched brass panel in the sidewall of
      the hood of the locomotive. This has two benefits: First, it allows
      additional heat wicking away from the motor, and Second, it allows the shell
      to hug the motor closer. The result is that the width of our hood and cab on
      our SD70 and GP7 products are the correct in scale dimension and size.

      To compensate for the lighter weight of our locomotives, we have included a
      traction tire on one axel. Our tests have shown that this gives us greater
      pulling power than additional weight would have provided. Modern polymers
      give these traction tires an expected lifespan that is greater than any
      other part of the locomotive. In fact, it makes for a lighter, but stronger,
      locomotive.

      AZL also builds molds that have many "slide changes" to them. This allows us
      to bring prototypical details to our SD70 and GP7 products. Our SD70 mold
      has over 6 variations. If you buy a BNSF locomotive, it will have the
      correct window in the cab door, whereas the UP locomotive does not have
      this. The same is true for headlight locations, and various vents and
      grills. Historically our competitor has built a single mold which does not
      allow for these details.

      We have just concluded many days of exciting discussions and I can say that
      the future of Z scale looks great! Perhaps the best news is that we have
      listened to you, our customers, and we intend to deliver what you want. We
      will continue to expand our line of plastic injection models with a focus on
      prototypical detail, outstanding decoration, and superior operating
      characteristics. We will also continue to develop short run Brass models for
      both the collector connoisseur and operator.

      Thanks for buying AZL.

      -Rob Allbriton

      PS: I'm not an engineer, so please don't take me to task if I got some
      details wrong. If I got a few things messed up, I really am horribly jet
      lagged.

    • Loren Snyder
      Message 2 of 14 , Nov 30, 2006
        Robert,

        I can fully appreciate your view point regarding undecorated, no issue there
        but.........
        How come Joe from MTL isn't afraid to mention AZL, but you refer to MTL as
        Brand X? There appears to be obvious bias on your part, (and that is ok),
        but in my humble opinion the forum isn't the place to air it. We are all
        biased towards certain things, but on this forum I think we should stay
        neutral in our comments about other's products.

        I'm obviously going to start a fire storm here, but it seems to me that so
        far you are the only one who is afraid to say MTL. Rob Kluz and Joe jest
        with each other and they have tremendous respect for each other and each
        other's products, and they aren't afraid to mention the other's products.

        Is one brand superior to the other? Perhaps in some ways, but the opposite
        is likely true also. Each brand has its pluses and minuses.
        Funny, but I've never heard Joe discuss AZL's faults in public as he
        perceives them to be....... He and I have discussed the virtues of both MTL
        and AZL in private, but we have kept it to ourselves.

        I'm a MTL dealer, but I do not discuss any manufacturer's good and bad
        points on the forum. I'm a bit disappointed by your comments about Brand X

        Loren

        Normally I let Rob Kluz handle all of the AZL/SZL Corporate Communications,
        but since I just got off a 14 hour flight from Korea, and I'm half delirious
        from too much kimchi, let me share a little of my visit with Ajin:

        <snip>

        While both AZL and "Brand X" models use high quality motors (we use
        Faulhaber, they use Maxon) our colleagues at "Brand X" have oversized the
        width of the hood and cab on both their GP35 and GP9 products. This allows
        them to put more metal in the frame and have a heavier locomotive. We chose
        to take another path. We imbed a photo etched brass panel in the sidewall of
        the hood of the locomotive. This has two benefits: First, it allows
        additional heat wicking away from the motor, and Second, it allows the shell
        to hug the motor closer. The result is that the width of our hood and cab on
        our SD70 and GP7 products are the correct in scale dimension and size.

      • Gert Velthuizen
        Message 3 of 14 , Nov 30, 2006
          Hear, Hear!!

          Right you are Loren, we are all contributing in way to upload the Z scale (at least we should or we try) and everyone is talking/writing about AZL and MicroTrains in the same respectfull way, thankfull of what they present us.

          Keep all up our positive attitude, please!!

          Gert

          To: z_scale@yahoogroups.comFrom: ljsnyder@...: Thu, 30 Nov 2006 22:39:41 -0800Subject: Re: [Z_Scale] AZL/SZL trip to Korea

          Robert, I can fully appreciate your view point regarding undecorated, no issue therebut......... How come Joe from MTL isn't afraid to mention AZL, but you refer to MTL asBrand X? There appears to be obvious bias on your part, (and that is ok),but in my humble opinion the forum isn't the place to air it. We are allbiased towards certain things, but on this forum I think we should stayneutral in our comments about other's products. I'm obviously going to start a fire storm here, but it seems to me that sofar you are the only one who is afraid to say MTL. Rob Kluz and Joe jestwith each other and they have tremendous respect for each other and eachother's products, and they aren't afraid to mention the other's products. Is one brand superior to the other? Perhaps in some ways, but the oppositeis likely true also. Each brand has its pluses and minuses. Funny, but I've never heard Joe discuss AZL's faults in public as heperceives them to be....... He and I have discussed the virtues of both MTLand AZL in private, but we have kept it to ourselves. I'm a MTL dealer, but I do not discuss any manufacturer's good and badpoints on the forum. I'm a bit disappointed by your comments about Brand XLoren -------Original Message------- From: Robert Allbritton Date: 11/30/06 21:55:43 To: z_scale@yahoogroups.com Subject: [Z_Scale] AZL/SZL trip to Korea Hi All, Normally I let Rob Kluz handle all of the AZL/SZL Corporate Communications, but since I just got off a 14 hour flight from Korea, and I'm half delirious from too much kimchi, let me share a little of my visit with Ajin: <snip> While both AZL and "Brand X" models use high quality motors (we use Faulhaber, they use Maxon) our colleagues at "Brand X" have oversized the width of the hood and cab on both their GP35 and GP9 products. This allows them to put more metal in the frame and have a heavier locomotive. We chose to take another path. We imbed a photo etched brass panel in the sidewall of the hood of the locomotive. This has two benefits: First, it allows additional heat wicking away from the motor, and Second, it allows the shell to hug the motor closer. The result is that the width of our hood and cab on our SD70 and GP7 products are the correct in scale dimension and size. [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

        • Adam
          Message 4 of 14 , Dec 1, 2006
            Rob,

            An yon ha se yo!

            Welcome back. I don't know if this was your first trip to Korea,
            but I've been there a few times with the Air Force... Needless to
            say at least you had good reason to go.

            Isn't that injection mold-making stuff cool? Stephen Moore and I
            just returned from Tokyo where we visited the Kato factory. Hiroshi
            Kato was a fantastic host and gave us the guided tour from design to
            assembly, and the fun stuff in between. I have a new-found
            appreciation for the model-making process, so I can certainly
            appreciate the steps AZL is going through to make their
            models "right".

            I look forward to seeing the (an a particular one) GP7s in person...

            Kam sam ni da!
            Thanks for sharing!

            Adam
          • John & Sue Bartolotto
            Message 5 of 14 , Dec 1, 2006
              Rob,

              Any AZL steam loco plans in the future?

              John Bartolotto

              _____

              Message 6 of 14 , Dec 4, 2006
                Hi All,

                This is Joe, from the firm Brand X, formally known as MTL (wonder if
                my paycheck will be difficult to deposit this week?) Just back from
                a trip to Walmart where I got sheets of plywood to fabricate our new
                GP-9's, also got a gallon of black housepaint and rubber stamps so we
                could do PRR as our first release. We also opted for rubber band
                drive so I picked up a few boxes of those from the Office Supply
                isle, modern rubber bands have more life than the ones I used to
                shoot my neighbor's cat as a kid. So far, production is going
                well... :o)

                Seriously, if that is possible....Rob made the point about undec's
                I'd like to underscore. We produced a boat load of Undec's at the
                urging of Rob Kluz :op and were confronted with the cost and extra
                inventory (Rob, we need to talk :o0 ). Folks expected a price
                reduction cause they were undecorated, but the painting and printing
                represent a small part of the cost to build these guys. I thought
                they would be cheeper too, but when I saw the numbers, realized the
                most you would save was a few dollars, so...Marketing made the call.
                Since I don't expect Rob to send me a check for the extra inventory,
                do me a favor and buy a few of these so I can pay for Breakfast with
                Loren next week.

                Well the lights are flickering and I have to go out back and whip the
                burro's turning the wheel on the generator...

                Chao!

                Joe
                Brand X

                --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "Robert Allbritton" <robert@...>
                wrote:

> [...]
                >

                > We have just concluded many days of exciting discussions and I can
                say that
                > the future of Z scale looks great! Perhaps the best news is that we
                have
                > listened to you, our customers, and we intend to deliver what you
                want. We
                > will continue to expand our line of plastic injection models with a
                focus on
                > prototypical detail, outstanding decoration, and superior operating
                > characteristics. We will also continue to develop short run Brass
                models for
                > both the collector connoisseur and operator.
                >

                > Thanks for buying AZL.
                >
                > -Rob Allbriton
                >

                > PS: I'm not an engineer, so please don't take me to task if I got
                some
                > details wrong. If I got a few things messed up, I really am

              • Loren Snyder
                Message 7 of 14 , Dec 4, 2006
                  Joe,
                  I sure hope you bought Select Interior plywood with no knot holes. I don't
                  want a second class finish on my new locos! And don't subject those rubber
                  bands to any sunlight before you install them in the drive mechanism, or
                  else the ultraviolet light will weaken the horsepower and give less pulling
                  power. Oh well, it doesn't matter anyway, as switchers aren't supposed to
                  haul huge loads anyway.
                  And is that paint oil based or latex? I want the surface to be shiny for a
                  long time.

                  Yes, seriously for just a moment,.......someday I bet a lot of folks want
                  to get some of those undecorated and do their own paint schemes.
                  So don't throw those undecs back into the stew pot just yet. I even managed
                  to send one to a customer last week, so they are slowly being used up
                  (serious moment over).

                  Custom painting is yet another project I'd love to be doing, but at the
                  moment, I'm busy sharpening my axe to go into the woods yet again to chop
                  down more of those spotted owl roosting trees. I've found yet another
                  customer who needs loads of trees and the owls are just going to have to go
                  roost in some old barn or on top of a power pole somewhere. They make
                  better targets when they are out in the open like that and silhouetted
                  against a blue sky :o)

                  Joe's chief burro handler, (pooper scooper)

                  Loren

                  Message 8 of 14 , Dec 4, 2006
                    In a message dated 12/4/06 10:56:19 AM, shipsure2003@... writes:

                    > We produced a boat load of Undec's at the
                    > urging of Rob Kluz :op and were confronted with the cost and extra
                    > inventory (Rob, we need to talk :o0 )

                    How did I get drawn into this? I also told you Joe to only offer pre 1900
                    trains that operated above the arctic circle. But do you listen to me on that
                    one... NO.... There is a gold mine with that niche!!!! One question, will you
                    include extra rubber bands the GP9s? I am thinking their is a huge potential in
                    aftermarket rubber band sales.

                    I think at this point, both you and Loren now owe me lunch...

                    LOL!
                    Rob

                    Ztrack Magazine Ltd.
                    6142 Northcliff Blvd.
                    Dublin, OH 43016
                    phone/fax: (614) 764-1703
                    http://www.ztrack.com/
                    Distributor American Z Line

                  • Loren Snyder
                    Message 9 of 14 , Dec 4, 2006
                      Ok Rob,
                      By mentioning arctic circle you probably have Karin all excited thinking
                      that you guys are going to offer ARR to us finally.......yeah sure!

                      I'll buy both you guys lunch, but this time I want to eat vegetarian.....I'm
                      getting tired of all this bull :o)

                      Still instigating whenever I can.

                      Come on Joe and Rob, let's get these Geeps on the road............now!
                      Loren

                      Message 10 of 14 , Dec 4, 2006
                        In a message dated 12/4/06 6:18:07 PM, ljsnyder@... writes:

                        > Come on Joe and Rob, let's get these Geeps on the road............now!
                        > Loren

                        Loren,

                        On the road now... will in a few weeks work for you? Good things are
                        comings... quickly. Anyone receive their January copy of MR? Take a close look at the
                        AZL ad on page 25 (note the date has been pushed back by three weeks).

                        Sorry, don't do vegan. Beef buddy... where's the beef?

                        Rob

                        Ztrack Magazine Ltd.
                        6142 Northcliff Blvd.
                        Dublin, OH 43016
                        phone/fax: (614) 764-1703
                        http://www.ztrack.com/
                        Distributor American Z Line

                      • Don Avila
                        Message 11 of 14 , Dec 4, 2006
                          Rob:

                          What do you mean by "DCC READY". I asked Anthony and he didn't know. I
                          don't want to do a bunch of soldering etc.

                          Don
                          Akron, Ohio - USA

                          http://www.ztrack <http://www.ztrack.com/> com/

                          Message 12 of 14 , Dec 4, 2006
                            Ok Rob,
                            One more time for the burger or chicken patty, but then it's all carrots and
                            celery for me.
                            As some of us know, 2007 is going to cost many dollars if we buy all we want
                            Shucks, I might have to put my cat on a diet.....cat food costs a lot you
                            know, and I think if she tries hard, she can catch a few mice now and then.

                            I'll bet that more will be released in Z scale in 2007 than the previous 3
                            years, any takers?
                            Loren

                            Message 13 of 14 , Dec 4, 2006
                              In a message dated 12/4/06 8:54:52 PM, ljsnyder@... writes:

                              > I'll bet that more will be released in Z scale in 2007 than the previous 3
                              > years, any takers?

                              Loren,

                              I think you are right. The North American market is really growing and the
                              options are increasing almost weekly!

                              I do hope we see in increase in releases from Marklin to start to take care
                              of the European wish lists. Also, SZL should have a new locomotive on the
                              market in 2007. It is a great time to be in Z!

                              Message 14 of 14 , Dec 4, 2006
                                Don,

                                All AZL locos since the SD45 run come DCC ready. What this means is that a
                                pocket, or in the case of the F59PHI, an insulated socket has been built into
                                the chassis for a DCC decoder. The SD70s PCB actually has spots for the DCC wire
                                to attach. TCS is working on a drop in DCC decoder that will replace the SD70
                                PCB board. This will be similar to the board Digitrax designed for MTL's
                                GP35.