Illumination for Layouts at Shows

  • elf_rohirrim
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 30, 2006
      I just added a photo to the "Medford Thanksgiving Train Show" folder showing the three
      BYOZ layouts I brought and displayed there.

      You can see the layouts stand out much more against the background even with
      inexpensive and simple drafting lamps.

      The left and middle layouts have 100 W Cromagen (Daylight color corrected) incandescent
      bulbs, which I prefer for all uses. However, the MacTrain-ulator on the right has a screw-
      in compact fluorescent bulb because I was concerned about heat buildup with the bulb so
      close to the paper kit (the light fixture is hidden behind the sign and the bulb is only 3-4
      inches from the model). The fluorescent had an unexpected yellowish hue but was very
      effective at making the model seem to "pop out" from the case. It certainly drew one's
      attention, as did the others and they all made it more enjoyable to see the details in these
      three small models.

      ELF
    • John Cubbin
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 1, 2006
        ELF,

        Great points about show lighting. Generally lighting in large spaces is
        not meant to be accurate or flattering, it's simply meant to
        illuminate. With all the work that goes into a good train layout it
        really seems a shame not to portray it in a good light. One of the nice
        aspects too of working in Z is that by incorporating clever overhead
        light placement you can greatly accentuate the angles and the details
        in Z, and as you said, make them "pop". Even a few simple 20W halogens
        light placed overhead can grab the attention of the most casual
        passerby at a show.

        John

        Ztrains.com
        http://www.ztrains.com