Re: [Z_Scale] Fighting fires in shiny choppers

  • Loren Snyder
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 30, 2006
      Absolutely, only maybe not quite so detailed.
      I also have another twin rotor heli that is used for fire fighting that I
      may try to paint up. I have both models in my possession and need now to
      start painting and modifying them a bit.

      If I only had time........
      Loren

      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 30, 2006
        Loren,

        You could have your Skycrane taking a drink from a lake, and run the rotor power through the snorkle. The snorkle would also be the means of support for your airborne helicopter.

        Matchbox makes a Chinook-like diecast helicopter. I have never measured the helicopter to get an approximate scale, but it is small. Matchbox also makes a Kiowa-like helicopter. Again, no idea of the scale.

        Where you going to scratch build these helicopters or do you have another source?

        Cheers,

        Jeffrey Walsh

        >Absolutely, only maybe not quite so detailed.
        >I also have another twin rotor heli that is used for fire fighting that I
        >may try to paint up. I have both models in my possession and need now to
        >start painting and modifying them a bit.
        >
        >If I only had time........
        >Loren

      • Loren Snyder
        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 30, 2006
          Jeffrey,
          We're on the same page here. I do have two water sources for the heli to
          draw water from so I could have two choppers in the overall scene. The one
          dropping retardant would be supported by the same wire design only the wire
          would be hidden in the water discharge from the belly tank. Just so happens
          that I have two of the sky cranes in stock so modification must start soon.
          They could be scratch built, but I think the ones I have are very close and
          with a little scratch building I can improve on the overall appearance.

          I suppose it wouldn't be politically correct to have Smokey the Bear seen
          fleeing the scene do you?

          I also have to come up with some realistic looking burnt, and burning trees.
          (no flames, but it has to look believable) I think I could incorporate the
          flickering campfire technique" to show some burning embers or low lying
          brush on fire. This will take some doing, but hey, I only have the rest of
          my life to do it.
          Sure glad modeled forest fires don't spread.............

          Message 4 of 6 , Nov 30, 2006
            I suppose it wouldn't be politically correct to have Smokey the Bear
            seen
            > fleeing the scene do you?

            Loren, I have a great Smokey the Bear idea. You could have your
            fire and Smokey could run for his life and hit a box car face first
            and leave his face print on the side of the car. I know, stupid idea.
            Sorry I thought of it. What a minute, didn't somebody else dream this
            up? Maybe I'm just dreaming. Good nite now. Cheers, Jim CCRR
          • ryuen_w
            Message 5 of 6 , Dec 1 5:47 AM
              > I suppose it wouldn't be politically correct to have Smokey the Bear
              seen
              > fleeing the scene do you?

              Harmless little joke, can't see what would be wrong with it... apart
              from being (excuse my British) bloody funny.
            • Jim O'Connell
              Message 6 of 6 , Dec 1 8:08 AM
                --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "ryuen_w" <ryuen@...> wrote:

                > > I suppose it wouldn't be politically correct to have Smokey the
                Bear
                > seen
                > > fleeing the scene do you?
                >
                > Harmless little joke, can't see what would be wrong with it... apart
                > from being (excuse my British) bloody funny.

                ryuen, The only thing funnier would be the two owners of MTL
                following very closely behind. Cheers and bloody right, PI Jim