Re: [Z_Scale] Re: I don't get it... shiny or dirty?

  • Loren Snyder
    Message 1 of 13 , Nov 30, 2006
      Oh, Karin was different all right :o) I think she was sane up until
      Saturday night when she had to sit with Joe, Jim, and myself and listen to
      us yak for an hour. Neve mind that she couldn't even pronounce the names of
      the Indian foods she was trying to order. We went out for pie later on so
      that made up for it all.

      I guess I have a question for any and all. Since Karin, myself, and others
      I am sure disdain the shiny plastic look, is spraying dull coat the answer
      to most of the problem? Or does a light misting of an air brush with either
      gray, blac, or white also do the trick?
      Answer time...........

      Just one more question for Karin......how come you got to run your ARR
      rolling stock more than I did my stock? You know someone I don't?

      Loren

        I don't mind a clean looking train but very much dislike that
        plastic look that comes with model railroading.

      • Ell Geib
        Message 3 of 13 , Dec 1, 2006
          She got to run her trains because she's better looking than you are Loren.

          Ell Geib
        • Edward Scullin
          Message 4 of 13 , Dec 2, 2006
            Isn't everyody. grin
            Ed Scullin

            --- Ell Geib <geib@...> wrote:

            > She got to run her trains because she's better looking than you are Loren.
            >
            > Ell Geib

          • Loren Snyder
            Message 5 of 13 , Dec 2, 2006
              Well Ed, .......I should sure hope so!

              Message 6 of 13 , Dec 2, 2006
                I've weathered almost all my cars and locos. Robert Ray got on the
                bandwagen with me and now almost every piece of rolling stock,
                passengers and locos are weathered to various levels. Some are as
                simple as Dull Cote'd to get that damn shine off. Others are chalked
                to at least bring about some sort of road use, at least along the
                bottom. Many of "dirt" on the door handles, roof walkways, stains
                where there should be, like tankers and of course rust on many cars.
                Some get the grafiti too. I did most of may passenger cars, even the
                Santa Fe and SP Daylight which were the 'pride' of the railroads but
                they weren't perfect either. Most of the weathering on the
                passengers was to show different contrasting usage, some cleaner,
                some dirtier; very obvious when placed side to side. Considering
                that we run a lot of modern diesel, one could say that I am modeling
                the last leg of the F7's and passenger service.

                I've only chalked mine. There are a few that might look a bit better
                (more density) with airbrushing.

                Jeff
                SF Bay Area Z

                > Oh, Karin was different all right :o) I think she was sane up until
                > Saturday night when she had to sit with Joe, Jim, and myself and
                listen to
                > us yak for an hour. Neve mind that she couldn't even pronounce the
                names of
                > the Indian foods she was trying to order. We went out for pie
                later on so
                > that made up for it all.
                >
                > I guess I have a question for any and all. Since Karin, myself,
                and others
                > I am sure disdain the shiny plastic look, is spraying dull coat the
                answer
                > to most of the problem? Or does a light misting of an air brush
                with either
                > gray, blac, or white also do the trick?
                > Answer time...........
                >
                > Just one more question for Karin......how come you got to run your
                ARR
                > rolling stock more than I did my stock? You know someone I don't?
                >
                > Loren

              • Loren Snyder
                Message 7 of 13 , Dec 2, 2006
                  Jeff, or anyone else out there,

                  Anyone ever try the Bragdon Enterprises Weather System Rust and Weather Kit?
                  I have not yet begun to weather my rolling stock and I have the unopened
                  kit. I plan to use it, but was wondering if anyone had used it before and
                  if so, how did you like the product?
                  Loren

                • odd1rails2006@comcast.net
                  Message 8 of 13 , Dec 2, 2006
                    I use Bragdons, Dullcote, and rubbing alchol.

                    Nick
                    From: "Loren Snyder" <ljsnyder@...>

                    > Jeff, or anyone else out there,
                    >
                    > Anyone ever try the Bragdon Enterprises Weather System Rust and Weather Kit?
                    > I have not yet begun to weather my rolling stock and I have the unopened
                    > kit. I plan to use it, but was wondering if anyone had used it before and
                    > if so, how did you like the product?
                    > Loren

                  • Loren Snyder
                    Message 9 of 13 , Dec 3, 2006
                      Nick,
                      And.................are you pleased with the results? What is the alcohol
                      used for?
                      Loren

                      From: "Loren Snyder" <ljsnyder@...>

                      > Jeff, or anyone else out there,
                      >
                      > Anyone ever try the Bragdon Enterprises Weather System Rust and Weather
                      Kit?
                      > I have not yet begun to weather my rolling stock and I have the unopened
                      > kit. I plan to use it, but was wondering if anyone had used it before and
                      > if so, how did you like the product?
                      > Loren

                    • Loren Snyder
                      Message 10 of 13 , Dec 3, 2006
                        Forgot to ask you Nick........do you use the spray or bottle Dullcote?

                        Message 11 of 13 , Dec 3, 2006
                          The very first ling i do to help any Band X (MTL) car or pennzee or full throttel car is to spray it with dullcote. It takes the shine out and they look better. Then play with chalk until your happy.Note ATSF hoppers use rubbing alchol after dullcote dries. Let the rubbing alchol dry, you'll notice it will start to turn the car white, then use the chalks.

                          Nick
                          From: "Loren Snyder" <ljsnyder@...>
                          > Forgot to ask you Nick........do you use the spray or bottle Dullcote?

                        • Jim O'Connell
                          Message 12 of 13 , Dec 3, 2006

                            > Jeff, or anyone else out there,
                            >
                            > Anyone ever try the Bragdon Enterprises Weather System Rust and
                            Weather Kit?

                            Loren, I have used Bragdon's weathering system since I purchased it
                            at a train show here in San Diego in 1997. I endorse the product 100
                            % for whatever that is worth. I leave the airbrushing to those with
                            the money and talent to use one. For me? Bragdon all the way. Cheers,
                            Jim A New CCRR
                          • Loren Snyder
                            Message 13 of 13 , Dec 3, 2006
                              Thanks Jim,

                              Now I know for sure I have to sit down, tear into my package of stains and
                              go for it!
                              Loren