What is the Theme of your Layout and/or Module!

  • sgt_tim7
    Message 1 of 21 , Nov 29, 2006
      Themes! Everyone has a theme for their layout(s) and or module(s).
      I think it would be great to have everyone tell us about their own
      layouts and modules.

      I know about a few of the more active members' themes, but the
      majority of this group is unknown. This thread can be a place to
      post the themes you have and the themes you would like to build.

      I have been in Z scale for almost 3 years now. I started collecting
      Z when I saw an AZL SD45 on ebay. The listing mentioned American Z
      Line, and thru some internet investigative searching, I found Z
      Track magazine. Finally, modern Z scale locos. Since December of
      2003 I have been hooked. It has taken 3 years for me to finally get
      around to building my first module. I have been running my trains
      on make-shift track thrown down on a work bench or kitchen table.
      Now that is all changing.

      My themes! The first module I am building is going to be that of a
      modern Intermodal Yard. Upon completion of this module, I will post
      photos at several places. Second module will be that of a modern
      chemical/refinery complex. All scratch built. Styrene, wood,
      etched brass, and foam. My third module, stand alone, will be that
      of a Z narrow gauge logging scene.

      Ok, I spilled the beans. What are you building? What have you
      already built? What are your THEMES?

      Hobo Tim
    • Jeffrey White
      Message 2 of 21 , Nov 29, 2006
        Theme :Soldier Summit, Utah

        Route: Grand Junction to Salt Lake City
        Era: Summer 2002
        Main Feature: Helper Services and Coal Trains

        >From: "sgt_tim7" <sgt_tim1@...>
        >To: z_scale@yahoogroups.com
        >Subject: [Z_Scale] What is the Theme of your Layout and/or Module!
        >Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2006 20:13:12 -0000
        >
        >Themes! Everyone has a theme for their layout(s) and or module(s).
        >I think it would be great to have everyone tell us about their own
        >layouts and modules.
        >
        >I know about a few of the more active members' themes, but the
        >majority of this group is unknown. This thread can be a place to
        >post the themes you have and the themes you would like to build.
        >
        >I have been in Z scale for almost 3 years now. I started collecting
        >Z when I saw an AZL SD45 on ebay. The listing mentioned American Z
        >Line, and thru some internet investigative searching, I found Z
        >Track magazine. Finally, modern Z scale locos. Since December of
        >2003 I have been hooked. It has taken 3 years for me to finally get
        >around to building my first module. I have been running my trains
        >on make-shift track thrown down on a work bench or kitchen table.
        >Now that is all changing.
        >
        >My themes! The first module I am building is going to be that of a
        >modern Intermodal Yard. Upon completion of this module, I will post
        >photos at several places. Second module will be that of a modern
        >chemical/refinery complex. All scratch built. Styrene, wood,
        >etched brass, and foam. My third module, stand alone, will be that
        >of a Z narrow gauge logging scene.
        >
        >Ok, I spilled the beans. What are you building? What have you
        >already built? What are your THEMES?
        >
        >Hobo Tim

      • ronaldjhurley
        Message 3 of 21 , Nov 29, 2006
          --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "sgt_tim7" <sgt_tim1@...> wrote:

          > Themes! Everyone has a theme for their layout(s) and or module(s).
          > I think it would be great to have everyone tell us about their own
          > layouts and modules.

          Tim, my theme is Newburyport, Massachusetts... 50's. It's a colonial
          port small city on the Boston and Maine which ran right by my house.
          Merrimac River here with dockside rail activity. So I can do the town,
          main line, industrial spurs, leftover steam, rural farm at edge of
          town, ....it's all there...unfortunately, it's all in my mind... I
          have magnificent structures from Lionel (the other) and Gray Bros and
          have to start soon on that track plan! no more excuses! ron
        • Alan
          Message 4 of 21 , Nov 29, 2006
            > Ok, I spilled the beans. What are you building? What have you
            > already built? What are your THEMES?

            Nothing quite so grand as most folk on the list. So far I've built a small
            83x50cm layout which models a junction between a German mainline and
            branch with a couple of sidings, and have an intentionally fairly
            placeless mountain branch line at 60x40cm that has been stuck 2/3rd
            built for a while due to lack of time but which is intended to be an
            exhibit (eventually). Thats basically just a loop of track.

            On the planning side I've got the trackwork and basic bits done for a
            yard on a shelf (90cm x 12cm) and a big test loop for the MTL canadian
            bits, but am still researching ideas and Canadian practice before I go
            further with it or merge it into something bigger.

            Unfortunately the real world has rather gotten in the way the past few
            months so I've been watching with interest rather than modelling much
            stuff in Z.

            Alan
          • Chris
            Message 5 of 21 , Nov 29, 2006
              I'm modeling the Erie railroad in the 1950's "somewhere" in Ohio or
              PA. Since Z is still limited I will stretch my era to 1940-1960.
              After 1960 Erie ceased to exist so that is a definite cut off. I
              have a small 2'x4' layout , but I'm thinking about a 20" x 9' layout
              now (oops, did I say that) I honestly thought Z would just be a fun
              break from N (so the small layout), but now I'm thinking it's viable
              enough to stick with it.

              Chris

              --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "sgt_tim7" <sgt_tim1@...> wrote:

              > Themes! Everyone has a theme for their layout(s) and or module
              (s).
              > I think it would be great to have everyone tell us about their own
              > layouts and modules.
              >
              > I know about a few of the more active members' themes, but the
              > majority of this group is unknown. This thread can be a place to
              > post the themes you have and the themes you would like to build.
              >
              > I have been in Z scale for almost 3 years now. I started
              collecting
              > Z when I saw an AZL SD45 on ebay. The listing mentioned American
              > Line, and thru some internet investigative searching, I found Z
              > Track magazine. Finally, modern Z scale locos. Since December of
              > 2003 I have been hooked. It has taken 3 years for me to finally
              get
              > around to building my first module. I have been running my trains
              > on make-shift track thrown down on a work bench or kitchen table.
              > Now that is all changing.
              >
              > My themes! The first module I am building is going to be that of
              > modern Intermodal Yard. Upon completion of this module, I will
              post
              > photos at several places. Second module will be that of a modern
              > chemical/refinery complex. All scratch built. Styrene, wood,
              > etched brass, and foam. My third module, stand alone, will be
              that
              > of a Z narrow gauge logging scene.
              >
              > Ok, I spilled the beans. What are you building? What have you
              > already built? What are your THEMES?
              >
              > Hobo Tim

            • jeffcrist2002
              Message 6 of 21 , Nov 29, 2006
                Tim, it maybe a shock to you, but I model CSX. The one place I find
                most interesting is the Mountain Sub.The more I read about it, the
                more I want to build the Mountain Sub, but it I may have to wait
                till the boys go to college. I need their room to house something
                like that.

                John

                --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "sgt_tim7" <sgt_tim1@...> wrote:

                > Themes! Everyone has a theme for their layout(s) and or module
                (s).
                > I think it would be great to have everyone tell us about their own
                > layouts and modules.
                >
                > I know about a few of the more active members' themes, but the
                > majority of this group is unknown. This thread can be a place to
                > post the themes you have and the themes you would like to build.
                >
                > I have been in Z scale for almost 3 years now. I started
                collecting
                > Z when I saw an AZL SD45 on ebay. The listing mentioned American
                > Line, and thru some internet investigative searching, I found Z
                > Track magazine. Finally, modern Z scale locos. Since December of
                > 2003 I have been hooked. It has taken 3 years for me to finally
                get
                > around to building my first module. I have been running my trains
                > on make-shift track thrown down on a work bench or kitchen table.
                > Now that is all changing.
                >
                > My themes! The first module I am building is going to be that of
                > modern Intermodal Yard. Upon completion of this module, I will
                post
                > photos at several places. Second module will be that of a modern
                > chemical/refinery complex. All scratch built. Styrene, wood,
                > etched brass, and foam. My third module, stand alone, will be
                that
                > of a Z narrow gauge logging scene.
                >
                > Ok, I spilled the beans. What are you building? What have you
                > already built? What are your THEMES?
                >
                > Hobo Tim

              • Jim O'Connell
                Message 7 of 21 , Nov 29, 2006
                  --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "Chris" <CSchmuck@...> wrote:

                  > I'm modeling the Erie railroad in the 1950's "somewhere" in Ohio or
                  > PA. Since Z is still limited I will stretch my era to 1940-1960.
                  > After 1960 Erie ceased to exist so that is a definite cut off. I
                  > have a small 2'x4' layout , but I'm thinking about a 20" x 9' layout
                  > now (oops, did I say that) I honestly thought Z would just be a fun
                  > break from N (so the small layout), but now I'm thinking it's viable
                  > enough to stick with it.
                  >
                  > Chris

                  Chris, I graduated from Z 2'x3' or 6 sq. ft. to the New CCRR of 60
                  sq. ft. Only the lack of money is slowing me down. My mainline alone
                  is nearly 70 feet if I measured correctly. Sidings, yards, and non-
                  mainline tracks are probably another 25 feet. Let me tell you Z is a
                  viable and possible alternative to N. So get going and make your Z
                  layout BIG. Cheers, Jim A New CCRR
                • Hurley, Ronald J.,M.D.
                  Message 8 of 21 , Nov 29, 2006
                    John,
                    I ate a mountain sub once.... Could you be referring to a railroad?
                    Ron

                    Sent by GoodLink (www.good.com)

                    Tim, it maybe a shock to you, but I model CSX. The one place I find
                    most interesting is the Mountain Sub.The more I read about it, the
                    more I want to build the Mountain Sub, but it I may have to wait
                    till the boys go to college. I need their room to house something
                    like that.

                    John

                    --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "sgt_tim7" <sgt_tim1@...> wrote:

                    > Themes! Everyone has a theme for their layout(s) and or module
                    (s).
                    > I think it would be great to have everyone tell us about their own
                    > layouts and modules.
                    >
                    > I know about a few of the more active members' themes, but the
                    > majority of this group is unknown. This thread can be a place to
                    > post the themes you have and the themes you would like to build.
                    >
                    > I have been in Z scale for almost 3 years now. I started
                    collecting
                    > Z when I saw an AZL SD45 on ebay. The listing mentioned American
                    > Line, and thru some internet investigative searching, I found Z
                    > Track magazine. Finally, modern Z scale locos. Since December of
                    > 2003 I have been hooked. It has taken 3 years for me to finally
                    get
                    > around to building my first module. I have been running my trains
                    > on make-shift track thrown down on a work bench or kitchen table.
                    > Now that is all changing.
                    >
                    > My themes! The first module I am building is going to be that of
                    > modern Intermodal Yard. Upon completion of this module, I will
                    post
                    > photos at several places. Second module will be that of a modern
                    > chemical/refinery complex. All scratch built. Styrene, wood,
                    > etched brass, and foam. My third module, stand alone, will be
                    that
                    > of a Z narrow gauge logging scene.
                    >
                    > Ok, I spilled the beans. What are you building? What have you
                    > already built? What are your THEMES?
                    >
                    > Hobo Tim

                  • Robert Ray
                    Message 9 of 21 , Nov 29, 2006
                      Well, Tim started the theme with his grain elevator kit, so my first
                      module, now finished other than some track repairs, is themed for
                      grain elevators and rural farming set in the 50's.

                      My second module, under construction, is an end module is themed for a
                      small town drive in theater and will feature a trailer park and some
                      brick downtown structures also set in the 1950's.

                      -Robert
                    • Joe DAmato
                      Message 10 of 21 , Nov 29, 2006
                        Well, as Loren or anyone who has shared the same air space with me
                        for more than a minute knows, makeing this type of decision is
                        beyond me. Love CORP cause it gives me a reason to be late in the
                        morning and to dash outside my office to "do research" wink, wink
                        when it chugs by hauling dead trees and other packaged goods, and I
                        love the Southwest and Route 66, and Yellowstone, yes Yellowstone,
                        the site of one of the most memorable paid vacations while in the
                        service of the House of Mouse. Is it wrong to have a sideing behind
                        the Old Faithful Lodge on my module?? And what about Ramona, the
                        frisky housekeeper and the unconventional way she displayed the
                        mints on my pillows...nother story..sorry...

                        Theme..hummm. I guess I am following Loren's lead on this one since
                        he is the self promoted theme cop when it comes to our club. First
                        one in the pool and all that. But I am sneeking in a bit o'
                        Yellowstone with my West Entrance T Module. Trees will be cool and
                        many, Loren the Treemister will supply said hemp and wire artifacts
                        in copious quantities. But I will supply the base, the buildings
                        and long boreing stories about Ramona and Mints as we toil away
                        during the long cold nights here in Oregon. Of course we have to
                        modify our club to include (eueeeew) girls now since Loren went off
                        the reservation... and other icky stuff. No more secret handshakes,
                        belching contests or long stretches without combing our hair...Times
                        they are a Changing. Luckely Loren hangs with a Cool Chick that
                        know the difference between a GP-35 and a Moose (who occasionally
                        meld in her part of the world)...Look for big things at Cascade Z..

                        Cheers

                        Joe
                        MTL

                      • odd1rails2006@comcast.net
                        Message 11 of 21 , Nov 29, 2006
                          My module started with one of Robert Ray NP station kits. It's going to be set in the heart of SP&S country. It is supposed to blend into Robs. Hopefully I can do it. But with work it's kind of hard to work on it. Good news is I have till March it get er' done

                          Nick
                          From: "Robert Ray" <pray59@...>
                          > Well, Tim started the theme with his grain elevator kit, so my first
                          > module, now finished other than some track repairs, is themed for
                          > grain elevators and rural farming set in the 50's.
                          >
                          > My second module, under construction, is an end module is themed for a
                          > small town drive in theater and will feature a trailer park and some
                          > brick downtown structures also set in the 1950's.
                          >
                          > -Robert

                        • Loren Snyder
                          Message 12 of 21 , Nov 29, 2006
                            I'm just wondering if Joe is going to expect me to provide some semi tame
                            bears to go with all those trees he is going to demand from me in exchange
                            for me NOT telling anyone about him mixing the number board number with his
                            CORP road # on his Geep? Oops, guess I accidentally spilled the beans.
                            I will be nice and NOT show the close up that proves that Joe needs more
                            sleep, or more money, or something to keep his ducks in a row.

                            As a matter of fact, I just couldn't help but show at least a small bit of
                            evidence that Joe does sleep at the wheel.
                            I've posted a few pictures of the Medford train show on the yahoo forum and
                            the last one shows Joe supposedly watching the trains as I take a break. He
                            appears to be reading a book on "how not to derail", but if you had seen him
                            up close, he was almost in la la land.
                            Couldn't help but razz the guy a little. He had promised to have a module
                            with at least track on it, but guess he had to stay out all night herding
                            his kids before the show, because he showed up empty handed. That's all
                            right, I still like the guy a little bit. He keeps promising me goodies and
                            I keep believing him :o)

                            As far as hanging with a cool chick, Karin was very pleased to finally be
                            able to pull out all her Alaskan freight cars and run them at our show. But
                            just wait till she gets the track rental bill......ooohhhh, she's going to
                            be ticked!

                            Anyway, take a gander at a few photos we managed to take during the show.
                            Sorry there isn't a better representation of the action, but we were very
                            few in number.

                            Joe speaks the truth about watching for big things with CZM. We have cut
                            our fingers and mixed our blood and taken a almost solemn vow to work like
                            crazy on our modules so as to be ready for Portland in February.

                            Loren

                            PS. Yes, Joe, I do have the incriminating photo that I will show to
                            interested folks :o)

                            Message 13 of 21 , Nov 29, 2006
                              --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "sgt_tim7" <sgt_tim1@...> wrote:

                              > Themes! Everyone has a theme for their layout(s) and or module(s).
                              > <snip> What are you building? What have you
                              > already built? What are your THEMES?

                              Rather than repeat myself here, you'all are invited to visit my growing
                              website and read about my theme and see the accompanying pictures.

                              They are what I call "Picture Postcard Souvenirs".

                              ELF
                            • Jeff Merill
                              Message 14 of 21 , Nov 29, 2006
                                Just the San Francisco Bay Area bowm grassy hills with small oak trees
                                for me. And lots of big radius, long tracks with passing sidings,
                                wyes and reversing loops so we can run trains all day nice and slow.
                                Throw in a nice detailed scene here and there to get someones
                                attention beyond just the trains because many that see us at the show
                                are a) just ordinary folks, many with their families and b) larger
                                scale modellers that somehow haven't seen Z yet. Some of us, Like
                                Robert Ray have a show case module to show off his Jedi Master laser
                                and modelling talents.

                                Jeff Merrill
                                SF Bay Area Z

                                --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "elf_rohirrim" <elf-rohirrim@...>
                                wrote:

                                > --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "sgt_tim7" <sgt_tim1@> wrote:
                                > >
                                > > Themes! Everyone has a theme for their layout(s) and or module
                                (s).
                                > > <snip> What are you building? What have you
                                > > already built? What are your THEMES?
                                >
                                > Rather than repeat myself here, you'all are invited to visit my
                                growing
                                > website and read about my theme and see the accompanying pictures.
                                >
                                > They are what I call "Picture Postcard Souvenirs".
                                >
                                > ELF

                              • John Mui
                                Message 15 of 21 , Nov 30, 2006
                                  Yes Ron. The Mountanin Sub stretches from Cumberland Maryland to Grafton
                                  West Virginia. It is a former B& O line. It is mostly mountaineous area with
                                  a lot of steep grades. MMMM. Making a sub would not be a bad idea either.

                                • Charles Kuttner
                                  Message 16 of 21 , Nov 30, 2006
                                    OK, it's time for me to let the world know my grandiose plans.

                                    I find very little time to work on my layout, but am high on the
                                    "dreams" end of planning. Being in a club with the likes of Eric Foxman
                                    and Loren Snyder, I have ample inspiration for excellence, but realize
                                    I'll never be that kind of craftsman.

                                    And as much as I admire the various ordinary layouts, I don't want to
                                    do yet another of them.

                                    Then one day it struck me: Yellow Submarine, as in the movie. I bought
                                    a Hallmark Yellow Submarine Xmas Ornament on ebay as a centerpiece for
                                    my towns, and plan to have the rounded hills and unusual trees and
                                    Peter-Max-style colors of that movie.

                                    When I eventually actually get around to having something to show, I'll
                                    share on my website.

                                    chas
                                    Charles Kuttner, MD
                                    Portland, Oregon, USA
                                    http://www.kuttner.name

                                    Otherwise known as:
                                    Col. Cornelius Kuttner
                                    Proprietor, psychopathist and microferroequinologist, Oakville &
                                    Poorfarm RR
                                  • de Champeaux Dominique
                                    Message 17 of 21 , Nov 30, 2006
                                      > Ok, I spilled the beans. What are you building?
                                      > What have you
                                      > already built? What are your THEMES?
                                      >
                                      > Hobo Tim

                                      My themes? All dealing with Californian desert /
                                      mountain (Tehachapis and Mojave desert)
                                      -a small module, that I'm unfortunately leaving into
                                      abandonnement due to a lack of operational
                                      possibilities.
                                      -my main layout which will be yet long in progress
                                      (located in my countryside house where infortunately I
                                      go only a few days a month).
                                      -a small layout (4 ft 1/2 x 3ft) I should be starting
                                      within a few weeks, when I've gained enough time in
                                      preparing for my expected future airline I should want
                                      to work for.

                                      Dominique

                                      http://fr.mail.yahoo.com
                                    • de Champeaux Dominique
                                      Message 18 of 21 , Nov 30, 2006
                                        Ouuppsss...I forgot: I'm in the modern era (summer
                                        1997).
                                        Dominique

                                        http://fr.mail.yahoo.com
                                      • Melissa Cull
                                        Message 19 of 21 , Dec 2, 2006
                                          Hi Fellow Z-Scalers,

                                          The theme of my two layouts that I am building (baseboards and a few
                                          buildings built so far) are Bavarian Mountain, Zeppelins (Air and Rail) and
                                          German food production. Wurst (sausage) factory, saurkraut, bagels, wine,
                                          beer, gateux etc.

                                          Kind RegardZ

                                          Melissa Cull
                                          UK

                                        • cadillac1949
                                          Message 20 of 21 , Dec 3, 2006
                                            My 4 lay outs are kind of a vague representation of the USA sometime
                                            after WW2. I have a bunch of Marklin European stuff and European
                                            Structures (Most of my USA buildings I had to scratch build) So I was
                                            thinking I might have modify my largest layout to be the USA on one
                                            side then go over a scale 125' bridge and be in Germany .

                                            --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "Melissa Cull" <melissa.cull@...> wrote:

                                            > Hi Fellow Z-Scalers,
                                            >
                                            > The theme of my two layouts that I am building (baseboards and a few
                                            > buildings built so far) are Bavarian Mountain, Zeppelins (Air and
                                            Rail) and
                                            > German food production. Wurst (sausage) factory, saurkraut, bagels,
                                            wine,
                                            > beer, gateux etc.
                                            >
                                            > Kind RegardZ
                                            >
                                            > Melissa Cull