Soldering MTL Track

  • bernie_penkin
    Message 1 of 12 , Nov 25, 2006
      I am working on a project. It is a small Christmas tree with a train around the base. Making it
      for the wife. I am using MTL track and am wondering on any tips for soldering the wires to
      the track. Haven't bought a Jorgeson controller yet, but would like to use one if possible. The
      base is made out of Mahogony (?sp) and the train will rest on Masonite. The tree will sit in a
      hole in the center and can be removed for storage. I used tongue oil as a finish. If you are
      interested, I will post a picture of the finished product.

      Thanks,

      Bernie Penkin
    • robertfage@aol.com
      Message 2 of 12 , Nov 25, 2006
        I have soldered wires to the edges no problem on a display board I take to
        shows in the United Kingdom... just be careful not to melt the plastic. I use
        the Jorgson controller and find it OK.

        Bob Fage (in the UK)

      • Adam
        Message 3 of 12 , Nov 25, 2006
          I would suggest placing a Micro-Trains track gauge on the rails
          adjacent to the spot you're soldering to help draw heat away from
          the ties.

          Adam

          --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "bernie_penkin" <bernie_penkin@...>
          wrote:

          > I am working on a project. It is a small Christmas tree with a
          train around the base. Making it
          > for the wife. I am using MTL track and am wondering on any tips
          for soldering the wires to
          > the track. Haven't bought a Jorgeson controller yet, but would
          like to use one if possible. The
          > base is made out of Mahogony (?sp) and the train will rest on
          Masonite. The tree will sit in a
          > hole in the center and can be removed for storage. I used tongue
          oil as a finish. If you are
          > interested, I will post a picture of the finished product.
          >
          > Thanks,
          >
          > Bernie Penkin

        • Garth Hamilton
          Message 4 of 12 , Nov 26, 2006
            At 07:35 AM 11/26/2006, "bernie_penkin" bernie_penkin@...
            bernie_penkin wrote:

            >I am working on a project. It is a small Christmas tree with a train
            >around the base. Making it
            >for the wife. I am using MTL track and am wondering on any tips for
            >soldering the wires to
            >the track. Haven't bought a Jorgeson controller yet, but would like
            >to use one if possible. The
            >base is made out of Mahogony (?sp) and the train will rest on
            >Masonite. The tree will sit in a
            >hole in the center and can be removed for storage. I used tongue oil
            >as a finish. If you are
            >interested, I will post a picture of the finished product.
            >
            >Thanks,
            >
            >Bernie Penkin

            I have soldered small wires to the back side of the Micro Trains
            sectional track. On the back side there is a series of holes under
            the rail down the length of the track. I used a very fine pencil tip
            soldering iron to solder to the rail in one of these holes under each
            rail. Then I drilled and hole in the road bed to take the wires away
            from the track. You could notch the side of the road bed also to
            bring the wires out from under the track. I would suggest not trying
            to solder to the four little ball bearings you see in the plastic
            towards the end of each rail.

            regards
            Garth
          • Tom Fisher
            Message 5 of 12 , Nov 27, 2006
              Tung oil I hope!

              --- bernie_penkin <bernie_penkin@...> wrote:

              > I am working on a project. It is a small Christmas
              > tree with a train around the base. Making it
              > for the wife. I am using MTL track and am wondering
              > on any tips for soldering the wires to
              > the track. Haven't bought a Jorgeson controller yet,
              > but would like to use one if possible. The
              > base is made out of Mahogony (?sp) and the train
              > will rest on Masonite. The tree will sit in a
              > hole in the center and can be removed for storage. I
              > used tongue oil as a finish. If you are
              > interested, I will post a picture of the finished
              > product.
              >
              > Thanks,
              >
              > Bernie Penkin

              Want to start your own business?
              Learn how on Yahoo! Small Business.
              http://smallbusiness.yahoo.com/r-index
            • de Champeaux Dominique
              Message 6 of 12 , Nov 27, 2006
                Isn't there enough room between rail joiners and the
                plastic pins that link track sections together?

                In that case I should (indeed I will when it's time to
                use my newly received turnouts) try to solder wires on
                the inwards side of the joiners.

                Just an idea.

                Dominique

                > I have soldered small wires to the back side of the
                > Micro Trains
                > sectional track. On the back side there is a series
                > of holes under
                > the rail down the length of the track. I used a very
                > fine pencil tip
                > soldering iron to solder to the rail in one of these
                > holes under each
                > rail. Then I drilled and hole in the road bed to
                > take the wires away
                > from the track. You could notch the side of the road
                > bed also to
                > bring the wires out from under the track. I would
                > suggest not trying
                > to solder to the four little ball bearings you see
                > in the plastic
                > towards the end of each rail.
                >
                > regards
                > Garth

                http://fr.answers.yahoo.com
              • Garth Hamilton
                Message 7 of 12 , Nov 28, 2006
                  The plastic road bed joiner under the metal rail joiner really makes
                  it much more difficult to attach wires at this point and keep them
                  hidden. I like going down through the table to attach feed wires to a
                  heavier gauge of wire below to avoid voltage drops and areas of slow
                  running. Sometime this is not possible due to table structure below
                  where I want to go through the table top so I bring it out under the
                  edge of the track bed and down through the table top adjacent to the
                  track and when you put your scenery down these wires can be hidden.
                  So that is why I use this method. I have not found a way to hide the
                  wire when connected to a rail joiner. It is quite easy to solder
                  wires to the outside of the rail and then run then down the side of
                  the road bed. It might even be possible to drill a small hole for the
                  wire to down through the road bed beside the rail and solder the feed
                  wire to the outside of the rail. With a bit of rust paint it could be
                  hidden and look like signal wire attached to the track.

                  regards
                  Garth

                  At 07:43 AM 11/28/2006, de Champeaux Dominique wrote:

                  >Isn't there enough room between rail joiners and the
                  >plastic pins that link track sections together?
                  >
                  >In that case I should (indeed I will when it's time to
                  >use my newly received turnouts) try to solder wires on
                  >the inwards side of the joiners.
                  >
                  >Just an idea.
                  >
                  >Dominique
                  >

                  > > I have soldered small wires to the back side of the Micro Trains
                  > sectional track. On the back side there is a series
                  > > of holes under the rail down the length of the track. I used a
                  > very fine pencil tip soldering iron to solder to the rail in one of these
                  > > holes under each rail. Then I drilled and hole in the road bed to
                  > take the wires away from the track. You could notch the side of the road
                  > > bed also to bring the wires out from under the track. I would
                  > suggest not trying to solder to the four little ball bearings you see
                  > > in the plastic towards the end of each rail.
                  > >
                  > > regards
                  > > Garth

                • Loren Snyder
                  Message 8 of 12 , Nov 28, 2006
                    Garth,
                    I've devised a way to solder wires onto rail joiners for the sectional track
                    and I've got photos showing the procedure if you are interested in seeing
                    them. Anyone can email me and I'll send them the photos.
                    Loren

                    Message 9 of 12 , Nov 28, 2006
                      Oh how I hate the automatic spelling correction!!!!!

                      Yes, the finish is Tung Oil. =)

                      Bernie

                      --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, Tom Fisher <tfisher10@...> wrote:

                      > Tung oil I hope!
                    • Ell Geib
                      Message 10 of 12 , Dec 2, 2006
                        I found the new version of MS Word much easier to get along with when
                        I turned off almost all of the automatic junk. The programmers
                        apparently think everyone who uses Word is a blithering idiot.

                        Ell Geib
                      • Reynard Wellman
                        Message 11 of 12 , Dec 2, 2006
                          Hello Ell,
                          I agree 100%. Even the MS Excel spreadsheet is juvenile;
                          trying to link things that these smart aleck programmers
                          assume we want. Glad I have created "work-arounds" to
                          what could otherwise be very fine software.

                          Reynard
                          On Dec 2, 2006, at 5:53 PM, Ell Geib wrote:

                          > I found the new version of MS Word much easier to get along with when
                          > I turned off almost all of the automatic junk. The programmers
                          > apparently think everyone who uses Word is a blithering idiot.
                          >
                          > Ell Geib

                        • Tom Fisher
                          Message 12 of 12 , Dec 3, 2006
                            Try Corel. Real word processers use WordPerfect.

                            http://new.mail.yahoo.com