Re: entering a new Z-world

  • Dieter_Mac_Nolte@xxxxxxxx.xxxxx.x.xxxxx)
    Message 1 of 10 , Oct 27, 1999
      Hi everybody,

      Yes, I do agree with Bill. Also I have abandoned my first layout. It started
      well. But I started too ambitiously. When at my first layout (100 x 6o cm) I
      started to check out the feasability of my layout, it worked. But, 96 cables
      were hanging underneath my layout!! 9 meters of track, 9 turnouts, 10 signals,
      8 decoupling devices and so on. It was frightening!
      So, I started new from scratch. However, the new layout is complicated again.
      But I am certain, this time I will succeed. At least, the trains are running
      smoothly.
      So, beginners, be brave, it will work.

      Regards

      Dieter

      BJKRONEN@... schrieb:
      > From: BJKRONEN@...
      >
      > Ole:
      >
      > > I have abandoned my present layout and is starting all over!
      >
      > Congratulations !!! You have now graduated from the school of "Beginners"
      > and have enrolled in the school of "More Experienced" modelers.
      >
      > Is there ANYONE on this list, that still has the original layout they started
      > with?
      >
      > I doubt that very much.
      >
      > > I'm really looking forward to do this, as I do beleive that better
      > > function of the tracks and turnouts as well as a more realistic look
      > > will be the result.
      >
      > When you are ready, post a question to this list: How you do electrically
      > actuate (operate) non-Marklin turnouts. There are several solutions folks on
      > this list will offer, that work.
      >
      > > It took "only" 5 layouts, 5 X nailing down 15 feet of tracks, and
      > > 5 X construction of balsa structures (tunnels, bridges etc. (to be
      > > used as the base for creating my landscape)) to get this far.
      >
      > You got out cheap. Most educations cost a lot more.
      >
      > Regards,
      > Bill Kronenberger
      > Houston
      >

      > > Small iZ Beautiful!

      Dieter W. Nolte
      E-Mail Dieter_Mac_Nolte@...
    • Anders Lattermann
      Message 2 of 10 , Oct 27, 1999
        Hi folks!

        > From: Dieter_Mac_Nolte@... (D.W.Nolte)
        > Yes, I do agree with Bill. Also I have abandoned my first layout.

        Well, who hasn't. The layouts I have abandoned have mostly been on the
        drawing table stage and not in the build stage except some...

        The full story on my web: http://www.lattermann.com/amaZing/
        See the layouts section.

        And you folks, building layouts all over the place, what does your best
        Z-layouts look like? Size, basic shape, add ons etc?

        Best regards from the autumn in Stockholm. It's very dark, but it's also
        night at the moment ;-)
        /Anders
      • Thomas Habrik
        Message 3 of 10 , Oct 28, 1999
          is there a homepage about the program of Rep Loc Works.
          Is there a shop in Europe selling other tracks than the one from Marklin.
          I could not find any other products up to now ina any shops I visited.
          Thomas

          ---------------------------------------
          From: Ole.Rosted@... (Ole Rosted)
          Subject: [z_scale] entering a new Z-world
          Date: 27/10/1999 19:18:32
          ---------------------------------------

          From: Ole.Rosted@... (Ole Rosted)

          Hi group,

          I have abandoned my present layout and is starting all over!

          I have ordered two turnouts from Rep Loc Works, a straight #6 and a curved #10 (and a bag of weathered wood ties) to use when planning my new layout.

          Of course I will need many more turnouts, but the turnouts size and degree of deviation/curvature is so different from what Marklin makes, that I must re-think the whole thing. Widespread use of weathered code 40 rail (also from RLW) and possibly Peco flextrack is included in my new way of thinking. And there will be no more nails in my layout, Soldering and glueing will be my methods in the future.

          I'm really looking forward to do this, as I do beleive that better function of the tracks and turnouts as well as a more realistic look will be the result.

          It took "only" 5 layouts, 5 X nailing down 15 feet of tracks, and
          5 X construction of balsa structures (tunnels, bridges etc. (to be used as the base for creating my landscape)) to get this far.

          The check for RLW is on its way and I'm eagerly awaiting for
          my turnouts to arrive. And then....!!

          Just thought, that I would share my thoughts with the group - wish me luck - I'll need it!! :-)

          regards Ole Rosted, Denmark

          ------------------------------------------------------------------------ Small iZ Beautiful!
        • BJKRONEN@aol.com
          Message 4 of 10 , Oct 28, 1999
            Thomas:

            > Is there a shop in Europe selling other tracks than the one from Marklin.

            The best I could come up with is a reference on the newly re-done Peco web
            page. If you click on "products" you will see a reference to a phone number
            to call, to identify their European outlets. Its a shame they don't just
            post a list of their retailers.

            http://www.peco-uk.com/pecohome.htm

            Regards,
            Bill Kronenberger
            Houston
          • pleahy@xxxxxxxx.xxx
            Message 5 of 10 , Oct 28, 1999
              Ole Rosted,

              Why not do a web page chronicling you progress with pics foe us all to admire?

              Pete

            • Ole.Rosted@xxxxxxx.xxxxxxxxxxxxxx)
              Message 6 of 10 , Oct 29, 1999
                On Thu, 28 Oct 1999 18:01:37 -0400, you wrote:

                >From: pleahy@...
                >
                >Ole Rosted,
                >
                >Why not do a web page chronicling you progress with pics foe us all to admire?

                The idea crossed my mind, but there is really nothing to admire just
                now. And I do not own a digital camera.

                Right now I'm more interested in other people's homepages, than in
                making my own. I have really nothing to offer but a demonstration of
                how things NOT should be done.

                regards Ole Rosted, Denmark
              • Dieter_Mac_Nolte@xxxxxxxx.xxxxx.x.xxxxx)
                Message 7 of 10 , Oct 29, 1999
                  Hi Ole,

                  no rain today in Denmark :-)))))?

                  Dieter

                  Ole Rosted schrieb:
                  > From: Ole.Rosted@... (Ole Rosted)
                  >
                  > On Thu, 28 Oct 1999 18:01:37 -0400, you wrote:
                  >
                  > >From: pleahy@...
                  > >
                  > >Ole Rosted,
                  > >
                  > >Why not do a web page chronicling you progress with pics foe us all to
                  > admire?
                  >
                  > The idea crossed my mind, but there is really nothing to admire just
                  > now. And I do not own a digital camera.
                  >
                  > Right now I'm more interested in other people's homepages, than in
                  > making my own. I have really nothing to offer but a demonstration of
                  > how things NOT should be done.
                  >
                  > regards Ole Rosted, Denmark
                  >
                  > > Small iZ Beautiful!

                  Dieter W. Nolte