Re: [Z_Scale] Re: Working for the masses of Z Scale

  • Reynard Wellman
    Message 1 of 18 , Nov 1, 2006
      Hello Glen,
      I'm just using a Marklin transformer, but the GP35
      runs slow enough to be boring to watch even without
      further electronic enhancements to this gem.
      Another topic: What's this about removing that spiffy looking
      "trainboard" on the GP35? We finally get a locomotive that
      is darn near perfect and some folks are already removing
      one of it's most charming features. Glad that they are
      inexpensive enough to kitbash. If all goes wrong, you
      can just start over with a new one;>)

      RegardZ,
      Reynard

      On Nov 1, 2006, at 11:01 AM, Glen Chenier wrote:

      > --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, Reynard Wellman <micron@...> wrote:
      > BTW, when I actually timed
      > > my slow running GP35s hauling 32 cars, the slowest speed
      > > was more like 8 to 15 MPH, not 2-4 MPH. See how lack of real
      > > data can make an exaggerator out of you? ;>))
      >
      > Not really, under 1 smph at 40 pps is the norm for the enhanced MTL
      > F7. Motor cogging below this prevents lower speed, but in reality the
      > 1 smph is far too slow for realistic operation.

    • Larry Card
      Message 2 of 18 , Nov 1, 2006
        >Your comment leads to another concept - how would a manufacturer make
        >the simplest bare-bones, non-reversing, no speed control, no current
        >limit other than the natural battery limit - in short, what would it
        >take for the cheapest power pack to be included with a starter set to
        >do nothing more than get the train running around a circle at a
        >reasonable speed on the kitchen table?

        Ntrak throttle with a 9v wall wart power source or 9v battery. That's what
        I use, and it works pretty well. I think I paid around 10 bucks for the
        whole thing, not counting the time it took to solder the parts together.
        Variable speed control, and it has on/off and reversing switches. I'm sure
        that something other than the standard RadioShack project box would be used,
        but I can't see where that is a huge difficulty to overcome.
        V/R
        Larry P. Card
        Franklinton NC

      • dpstripe@aol.com
        Message 3 of 18 , Nov 1, 2006
          In a message dated 11/1/2006 2:31:49 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
          micron@... writes:

          I'm just using a Marklin transformer, but the GP35
          runs slow enough to be boring to watch even without
          further electronic enhancements to this gem

          Reynard,
          When I first got my Pennsy GP-35's last year, I was sitting in a hotel room
          trying them out with an oval of MT track and my Marklin transformer. Well, the
          phone rang, so I turned it off, or so I thought, and went to talk on the
          phone. Since the Marklin transformer has no real "on/off" switch, I thought that
          the knob was back in the off position. Well, turns out that it wasn't. After
          about a half hour, I noticed that the loc wasn't where I left it. Upon
          further investigation, I saw that it was actually moving. Slower than I could
          possibly imagine, but it was moving. Now, I realize that this was totally
          unloaded, so it's not intended as a counter to your minimum speed, but it was
          simply amazing. I laid a pocket scale next to the track (with 1/64" graduations),
          and to my total amazement, the thing was moving smoothly. Needless to say, I
          never quite trusted "off" again. And, I can no longer doubt any fantastical
          claims about these little guys.
          Dan S.

        • dpstripe@aol.com
          Message 4 of 18 , Nov 1, 2006
            Reynard,
            We (the D.C. ZBend group) have periodically run long trains (I think our
            record is somewhere around 121 cars, Bryan and Randy, correct me if I'm wrong),
            but we tend to throw a couple of helper locs in the middle of the train. It
            helps relieve some of the coupler strain. Our most common problem is the
            occasional wheel climbing out of the rails at turnouts (where's that re-railer
            section, Joe? Just kidding, no real hurry). But we have had our share of
            stringlines and NTSB investigations. I had a 69 (41 PZ and 28 FR) car coal train
            running for a couple of hours trouble free, with a fully powered MT F7 A-B-B-A
            at its head last year at Chantilly. But, then one of the B units brushes
            didn't feed in, and caused quite a few problems before I caught on to what was
            happening. Long trains are just a good time. We haven't had a lot of coupler
            breakage, though.
            Dan S.

            In a message dated 11/2/2006 12:22:46 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
            micron@... writes:

            Dan,
            It's positively hypnotic; watching a train of 30 cars make
            the rounds at a creep. My cat wants to attack this
            dangerous looking snake, but I have warned her off.
            My previous show layout was about the size of a coffee
            table, so I kept my trains down to 15 cars max. When
            the module guys get together at NMRA shows, we run
            trains of 50 to 60 cars, at least until the couplers break.
            Ever seen one of these ropes flop off the rails all at once?
            Try backing up that train at a high speed.
            Gotta leave plenty of margin for error if you don't want
            your delicate cars to disintegrate on the train show concrete.

          • Reynard Wellman
            Message 5 of 18 , Nov 1, 2006
              Dan,
              It's positively hypnotic; watching a train of 30 cars make
              the rounds at a creep. My cat wants to attack this
              dangerous looking snake, but I have warned her off.
              My previous show layout was about the size of a coffee
              table, so I kept my trains down to 15 cars max. When
              the module guys get together at NMRA shows, we run
              trains of 50 to 60 cars, at least until the couplers break.
              Ever seen one of these ropes flop off the rails all at once?
              Try backing up that train at a high speed.
              Gotta leave plenty of margin for error if you don't want
              your delicate cars to disintegrate on the train show concrete.
              The trouble with the GP35 by itself is; you can't
              hear it unless you move in real close. Perhaps Lajos,
              in addition to his "SAT" project (Self Adjusting Turnout),
              will manufacture a GP35 sound module that simulates the
              Union Pacific trains that pass in the night about two miles
              from my house. That would sure get your attention!
              If I heard that, I'd sure hang up the phone and look over
              at the layout or speed dial 911.

              Best regardZ,
              Reynard
              http://www.micronart.com