Re: Working for the masses of Z Scale

  • Glen Chenier
    Message 1 of 18 , Nov 1, 2006
      BTW, when I actually timed
      > my slow running GP35s hauling 32 cars, the slowest speed
      > was more like 8 to 15 MPH, not 2-4 MPH. See how lack of real
      > data can make an exaggerator out of you? ;>))

      Not really, under 1 smph at 40 pps is the norm for the enhanced MTL
      F7. Motor cogging below this prevents lower speed, but in reality the
      1 smph is far too slow for realistic operation.
    • Reynard Wellman
      Message 2 of 18 , Nov 1, 2006
        Hello Glen,
        I'm just using a Marklin transformer, but the GP35
        runs slow enough to be boring to watch even without
        further electronic enhancements to this gem.
        Another topic: What's this about removing that spiffy looking
        "trainboard" on the GP35? We finally get a locomotive that
        is darn near perfect and some folks are already removing
        one of it's most charming features. Glad that they are
        inexpensive enough to kitbash. If all goes wrong, you
        can just start over with a new one;>)

        RegardZ,
        Reynard

        On Nov 1, 2006, at 11:01 AM, Glen Chenier wrote:

        > --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, Reynard Wellman <micron@...> wrote:
        > BTW, when I actually timed
        > > my slow running GP35s hauling 32 cars, the slowest speed
        > > was more like 8 to 15 MPH, not 2-4 MPH. See how lack of real
        > > data can make an exaggerator out of you? ;>))
        >
        > Not really, under 1 smph at 40 pps is the norm for the enhanced MTL
        > F7. Motor cogging below this prevents lower speed, but in reality the
        > 1 smph is far too slow for realistic operation.

      • Larry Card
        Message 3 of 18 , Nov 1, 2006
          >Your comment leads to another concept - how would a manufacturer make
          >the simplest bare-bones, non-reversing, no speed control, no current
          >limit other than the natural battery limit - in short, what would it
          >take for the cheapest power pack to be included with a starter set to
          >do nothing more than get the train running around a circle at a
          >reasonable speed on the kitchen table?

          Ntrak throttle with a 9v wall wart power source or 9v battery. That's what
          I use, and it works pretty well. I think I paid around 10 bucks for the
          whole thing, not counting the time it took to solder the parts together.
          Variable speed control, and it has on/off and reversing switches. I'm sure
          that something other than the standard RadioShack project box would be used,
          but I can't see where that is a huge difficulty to overcome.
          V/R
          Larry P. Card
          Franklinton NC

        • dpstripe@aol.com
          Message 4 of 18 , Nov 1, 2006
            In a message dated 11/1/2006 2:31:49 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
            micron@... writes:

            I'm just using a Marklin transformer, but the GP35
            runs slow enough to be boring to watch even without
            further electronic enhancements to this gem

            Reynard,
            When I first got my Pennsy GP-35's last year, I was sitting in a hotel room
            trying them out with an oval of MT track and my Marklin transformer. Well, the
            phone rang, so I turned it off, or so I thought, and went to talk on the
            phone. Since the Marklin transformer has no real "on/off" switch, I thought that
            the knob was back in the off position. Well, turns out that it wasn't. After
            about a half hour, I noticed that the loc wasn't where I left it. Upon
            further investigation, I saw that it was actually moving. Slower than I could
            possibly imagine, but it was moving. Now, I realize that this was totally
            unloaded, so it's not intended as a counter to your minimum speed, but it was
            simply amazing. I laid a pocket scale next to the track (with 1/64" graduations),
            and to my total amazement, the thing was moving smoothly. Needless to say, I
            never quite trusted "off" again. And, I can no longer doubt any fantastical
            claims about these little guys.
            Dan S.

          • dpstripe@aol.com
            Message 5 of 18 , Nov 1, 2006
              Reynard,
              We (the D.C. ZBend group) have periodically run long trains (I think our
              record is somewhere around 121 cars, Bryan and Randy, correct me if I'm wrong),
              but we tend to throw a couple of helper locs in the middle of the train. It
              helps relieve some of the coupler strain. Our most common problem is the
              occasional wheel climbing out of the rails at turnouts (where's that re-railer
              section, Joe? Just kidding, no real hurry). But we have had our share of
              stringlines and NTSB investigations. I had a 69 (41 PZ and 28 FR) car coal train
              running for a couple of hours trouble free, with a fully powered MT F7 A-B-B-A
              at its head last year at Chantilly. But, then one of the B units brushes
              didn't feed in, and caused quite a few problems before I caught on to what was
              happening. Long trains are just a good time. We haven't had a lot of coupler
              breakage, though.
              Dan S.

              In a message dated 11/2/2006 12:22:46 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
              micron@... writes:

              Dan,
              It's positively hypnotic; watching a train of 30 cars make
              the rounds at a creep. My cat wants to attack this
              dangerous looking snake, but I have warned her off.
              My previous show layout was about the size of a coffee
              table, so I kept my trains down to 15 cars max. When
              the module guys get together at NMRA shows, we run
              trains of 50 to 60 cars, at least until the couplers break.
              Ever seen one of these ropes flop off the rails all at once?
              Try backing up that train at a high speed.
              Gotta leave plenty of margin for error if you don't want
              your delicate cars to disintegrate on the train show concrete.

            • Reynard Wellman
              Message 6 of 18 , Nov 1, 2006
                Dan,
                It's positively hypnotic; watching a train of 30 cars make
                the rounds at a creep. My cat wants to attack this
                dangerous looking snake, but I have warned her off.
                My previous show layout was about the size of a coffee
                table, so I kept my trains down to 15 cars max. When
                the module guys get together at NMRA shows, we run
                trains of 50 to 60 cars, at least until the couplers break.
                Ever seen one of these ropes flop off the rails all at once?
                Try backing up that train at a high speed.
                Gotta leave plenty of margin for error if you don't want
                your delicate cars to disintegrate on the train show concrete.
                The trouble with the GP35 by itself is; you can't
                hear it unless you move in real close. Perhaps Lajos,
                in addition to his "SAT" project (Self Adjusting Turnout),
                will manufacture a GP35 sound module that simulates the
                Union Pacific trains that pass in the night about two miles
                from my house. That would sure get your attention!
                If I heard that, I'd sure hang up the phone and look over
                at the layout or speed dial 911.

                Best regardZ,
                Reynard
                http://www.micronart.com