Re: Turnouts

  • Don Avila
    Message 1 of 16 , Nov 1, 2006
      Any one notice that not a peep has been made about the fact that when
      MTL first came out with USA tie spacing and did not follow Marklin we
      got better looking track. It gets pretty tricky then to decide that
      someone's standards should be followed or only partly followed or not
      followed at all. MTL/Joe, just bring on more goodies.

      --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "Glen Chenier" <chenierfam@...> wrote:

      > With all the recent posts on the new MTL Turnouts I have to throw
      > these comments into the stew...
      >
      > 30 years ago I built my first HO scale layout. I made the big mistake
      > of using two different brands of turnouts (Atlas vs Bachmann). I got
      > lucky - there actually was a wheel gauge adjustment that was accepted
      > by both turnout dimensions. Standards? What standards? [snip]
    • Ysbrand van der Veen
      Message 2 of 16 , Nov 1, 2006
        Hello Don,

        The issue is compatibility i.e. the possibiblity of running trains
        independent of the manufacturer on all kinds of track and switches.
        Tie spacing doesn't have to do with compatibilaty in this sense, it's
        just cosmetics.

        On my test lay-out with an MT oval (couldn't buy the switches yet in
        the Netherlands) and am extended Märklin Oval with a turnout and
        double slip switch I ran all kinds of engines from Märklin, MT and
        several European and US small series producers. No problems except
        with the Cab Forward from a Friend that derailed on both MT and
        Märklin track.

        Best,
        YSbrand

        --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "Don Avila" <d.f.avila@...> wrote:

        > Any one notice that not a peep has been made about the fact that
        when
        > MTL first came out with USA tie spacing and did not follow Marklin
        we
        > got better looking track. It gets pretty tricky then to decide that
        > someone's standards should be followed or only partly followed or
        not
        > followed at all. MTL/Joe, just bring on more goodies.
        >
        > --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "Glen Chenier" <chenierfam@> wrote:
        > >
        > > With all the recent posts on the new MTL Turnouts I have to throw
        > > these comments into the stew...
        > >
        > > 30 years ago I built my first HO scale layout. I made the big
        mistake
        > > of using two different brands of turnouts (Atlas vs Bachmann). I
        got
        > > lucky - there actually was a wheel gauge adjustment that was
        accepted
        > > by both turnout dimensions. Standards? What standards? [snip]

      • Ell Geib
        Message 3 of 16 , Nov 1, 2006
          Glen,

          Isn't the NMRA supposed to "chastise" manufacturers that don't meet
          standards? Or at least put them on some non-approved list? Of course,
          I don't know whether that would mean anything in practical terms or
          not.

          Ell Geib

          >In z_scale@yahoogroups.com "Glen Chenier"
          ><mailto:chenierfam@...?Subject=Re:
          >Turnouts><chenierfam@...> wrote:
          >
          >With all the recent posts on the new MTL Turnouts I have to throw
          >these comments into the stew...
          >
          >30 years ago I built my first HO scale layout. I made the big mistake
          >of using two different brands of turnouts (Atlas vs Bachmann). I got
          >lucky - there actually was a wheel gauge adjustment that was accepted
          >by both turnout dimensions. Standards? What standards?
          >
          >SNIP

        • Glen Chenier
          Message 4 of 16 , Nov 1, 2006
            --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, Ell Geib <geib@...> wrote:

            > Isn't the NMRA supposed to "chastise" manufacturers that don't meet
            > standards? Or at least put them on some non-approved list? Of course,
            > I don't know whether that would mean anything in practical terms or
            > not.

            This is really a question for a NMRA member, but IMHO I don't think
            the NMRA chastises any manufacturers - their customers (or sudden lack
            of) probably do the necessary.
          • Glen Chenier
            Message 5 of 16 , Nov 1, 2006
              --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "Karin Svenson" <karin@...> wrote:
              > 1. If NMRA standards didn't exactly help you in the larger scales do
              > we really want to push Z into set standards; which I find to be
              > somewhat an oxymoron. And...

              That was long ago and an example of what can happen when manufacturers
              do not follow the standards and some poor consumer finds out only
              after building the product into the layout; these days I would hope
              that larger scales are better quality and inter-compatible. To ensure
              that all maunfacturers' products will work together an 'official'
              standard is necessary - that is why the NMRA is the the keeper of
              these standards so that any manufacturer who wants to can design to
              them. When an official standard does not exist, what dimensions does
              a manufacturer design to?

              There are some list members who have been heavily involved in setting
              Z scale standards. The last I heard these standards have not yet been
              ratified by the NMRA. Could we hear from these folks and get an
              update on where things are at?

              > 2. "My ties were wood matchsticks soaked in creosote (ahhh - that
              > real railroad smell...)
              >
              > I want to lay all my G scale brass track on cedar ties (yes, I
              > realize that I, too, am talking a larger scale here but follow me).
              > Where do you get REAL creosote and how do you keep from dying from
              > the fumes when working with it. I am very serious on how to find
              > the stuff, I'll figure out how to survive the odiferous
              > concequenses ;o}

              I got the creosote at the local hardware store. In Canada. Years ago.
              It has since been found to cause cancer (just learned that now from
              Google) and may not be available anymore. Just did a web search at
              Lowes.com and they say 'no longer available'. Wow - to think of all
              those ties I spiked and touched that were soaked in that stuff - if my
              fingers rot away in the next few years I'll know why. Lesson learned
              - model railroad chemicals can be hazardous to your health.

              Best forget about using creosote. Cedar should not need any
              preservatives anyway.
            • David George
              Message 6 of 16 , Nov 2, 2006
                NMRA encourages and offers a podium but does not control or enforce.

                Mister Dave

                Isn't the NMRA supposed to "chastise" manufacturers that don't meet
                standards? Or at least put them on some non-approved list? Of course,
                I don't know whether that would mean anything in practical terms or
                not.

                Ell Geib

                >In z_scale@yahoogroups.com "Glen Chenier"
                ><mailto:chenierfam@...?Subject=Re:
                >Turnouts><chenierfam@...> wrote:
                >
                >With all the recent posts on the new MTL Turnouts I have to throw
                >these comments into the stew...
                >
                >30 years ago I built my first HO scale layout. I made the big mistake
                >of using two different brands of turnouts (Atlas vs Bachmann). I got
                >lucky - there actually was a wheel gauge adjustment that was accepted
                >by both turnout dimensions. Standards? What standards?
                >
                >SNIP

              • David Epling
                Message 7 of 16 , Aug 5, 2008
                  Greetings Earthlings,

                  Will MTL turnouts drop right into a slot that originally held a Marklin
                  turnout?

                  Thanks

                  David Epling
                  Manager
                  Western Pacific RR Museum
                  http://www.wplives.org
                  Museum: 530-832-4131
                  Cell: 209-915-5169
                  david_epling@...
                • Robert Ray
                  Message 8 of 16 , Aug 5, 2008
                    --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "David Epling" <cct24@...> wrote:

                    > Greetings Earthlings,
                    >
                    > Will MTL turnouts drop right into a slot that originally held a
                    Marklin
                    > turnout?

                    Yes they will, however the rail height might not be exactly the same
                    amd require a bit of filing if trains do wheel hopping on you.
                  • John Duino
                    Message 9 of 16 , Aug 5, 2008
                      Not quite, as the MTL's have the roadbed attached and Marklin's are plain.
                      Peter Wright turnouts do, but the tie-spacing is North American.

                      Why not just replace with Marklin (after some appropriate fine-tuning)?

                      John

                      > Greetings Earthlings,
                      >
                      > Will MTL turnouts drop right into a slot that originally held a Marklin
                      > turnout?
                      >
                      > Thanks
                      >
                      > David Epling
                      > Manager
                      > Western Pacific RR Museum
                      > http://www.wplives.org
                      > Museum: 530-832-4131
                      > Cell: 209-915-5169
                      > david_epling@...
                    • hobbycraftsnmore
                      Message 10 of 16 , Aug 5, 2008
                        Hi David Epling

                        As Robert said they will match up except the height. You can see the
                        height difference on my website I have an area that shows how to join
                        Marklin and MTL track together. Here is the link

                        Just Copy and Paste

                        http://www.hobbycraftsnmore.com/FAQ%20Pages/Hobby/Trains/Z%
                        20Scale/MTL%20Micro-Track%20connecting%20to%20Marklin%20Track.htm

                        Kevin
                        Hobby Crafts N More
                        Website:
                        www.hobbycraftsnmore.com
                        Email:
                        hobbycraftsnmorer@...

                        --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "David Epling" <cct24@...> wrote:

                        > Greetings Earthlings,
                        >
                        > Will MTL turnouts drop right into a slot that originally held a
                        Marklin
                        > turnout?

                      • David Epling
                        Message 11 of 16 , Aug 6, 2008
                          Thanks to all who replied. We will get the problem turnout under control
                          today.