Need suggestions/help and input on workshop: Starting a Z Scale layout.

  • Jim Glass
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 25, 2006
      Need suggestions/help and input on workshop: "Starting a Z Scale Layout", at
      Puyallup GTE train show Nov 18-19. I have bit the bullet and am designing a
      workshop for newbies. Ideas?

      JimGl
      Redmond, WA
    • David George
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 25, 2006
        Jim,
        Here is my suggestion for Newbie workshop.

        "STOP ! !,,,,Step Away From That Zscale Starter Set. Your life is in danger !"

        Mister Dave

        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 25, 2006
          Dear JimGI,

          Likely that you already have planned somethings, here are my suggestions.
          1) Let your newbies look around good. Let them find the era they like most, the area they like most, the railroad they like most, in shortv let them try to find out what they want.
          2) Have them put a budget to that. How many money can they spend, it sound silly, but this is one of the main reasons for having fun or not. Big bucks are not always needed, show them some cheap tricks with waste material to convince them that a lot is possible.
          3) Have them put everything in their homes. What space is available, how is this room build, decorated? Do they want to redecorate that room, how handy is your newbie tot do so himself?
          4) Start designing and please let them design with real flextrack as well.
          5) Look at ebay or other likewise sites for just a little bit of second hand material. In case this whole thing turns out to be a mistake (very likely it is not, but who knows what's in a mans or womans mind) they have not got themselves in big financial trouble.
          6) Start with buidling. Just start and find out. I have waited far too long before I got started, I have denied myself a lot of fun and learning by being too shy aboiut my own skills. When you are in trouble there is allways someone able and willing to help you!!
          7) Have them go tot websites and trainshows for idea's and conversations.
          8) Make them believe that nothing comes out perfect in the first attempt. Mistakes are made to learn from.
          9) Try to convince them that they can learn from others as others can learn from them. So do not hold back and ASK.
          10) Advice them to have fun!!!

          That's all I wish you have: A lot of fun, talking about your hobby with others, showing your hobby to them, in short enjoying your hobby!!!

          Can we get any pictures afterwards??

          Gert
          The Netherlands

          To: z_scale@yahoogroups.comFrom: Berjimgl@...: Wed, 25 Oct 2006 14:35:18 -0700Subject: [Z_Scale] Need suggestions/help and input on workshop: Starting a Z Scale layout.

          Need suggestions/help and input on workshop: "Starting a Z Scale Layout", at Puyallup GTE train show Nov 18-19. I have bit the bullet and am designing a workshop for newbies. Ideas?JimGlRedmond, WA

        • Alan Cox
          Message 4 of 5 , Oct 26, 2006
            Ar Iau, 2006-10-26 am 08:25 +0200, ysgrifennodd Gert Velthuizen:
            > 10) Advice them to have fun!!!

            Only one to add to that wonderfully comprehensive list - make sure they
            start small (not just 'Z' but also layout size). If you start small then
            things get finished, things work and people go on to bigger projects.
            When they start big so many people try to do too much and give up
            frustrated later with nothing working.

          • Jim Glass
            Message 5 of 5 , Nov 1, 2006
              Gert,

              This is so good that I plan to issue copies the workshop not only for the
              content, but also to illustrate the kind of help we get from z_scale forum.
              On the back will be Alan's email also. With Rob's Ztrack magazine
              Participants should be Sat-Tis-Fied.

              Thanks all, Not too late to add to 'our' list until Nov 18-19.

              JimGl
              Redmond, WA