Re: Blue Goose Train Ride in Yreka, California

  • Karin Svenson Schwarzer
    Message 1 of 33 , Oct 1, 2006
      --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "Paul Hertel" <paulhertel@...> wrote:

      > And the operating instructions!

      OK Paul, where do you live?!?! I want to talk to your wife!!! We
      are relatively maintainance free, in fact we spend a lot of time
      maintaining our guys... But truly, those steamers take 3 hours of
      maintainance for every hour they run, if I understood the engineer
      correctly.

      Uwe, if you bring YOUR Karin here and your little 8 year old I want
      to meet all of you. It just be another excuse to go see Loren again.

      Speaking of which, Loren is right... I would be a good partner in a
      lot of ways. I don't spend too much on makeup and fancy clothes but
      I do have a bad habit of buying trains. Is that a guys dream come
      true in a wife or what? I think it makes for a good husband. HE
      helps do the dirty work for OUR Z layouts and HE does ALL the dirty
      work for MY GARDEN scale layout... in HIS backyard. How much better
      can it get than that? Well, think of all those TREES in the family,
      and all those portals and piers. Now, if I can only get him to
      accept my Alaska trains then it could be a done deal. Look out Z
      scale, this partnership could mean T-R-O-U-B-L-E for you, we
      brainstormed many ideas, if only we live long enough to do it all!

      BTW, I will stick in some pics of the Indian Art Train visiting the
      Palmer Depot. My son and I took some good shots of an ARR GP40-2
      and I was wondering if any of you knew what kind of cars the haul is
      in. Old Streamliners???
    • Ed Dalman
      Message 33 of 33 , Oct 2, 2006
        Loren and all Zers,

        At Union Switch & Signals (WABCO Div.) I desigined and tested the first handheld radios. The mechenical dept develepped the package, which withstood being tossed from one side of the track to the otherside. At that time the RR people did not like radios and a lot of handsignals were still used combined with the radios

        Ed.

        Loren Snyder <ljsnyder@...> wrote:
        Jim and Dani,
        Actually, the man doing the measuring with his arms spread wide was on the
        coach during the ride and he was measuring the distance between another
        diesel locomotive and the tender when the engineer was backing up to connect
        with the diesel. The steam loco pulled two diesel locos and one passenger
        coach out of the yard for a short distance before disconnecting. It is fun
        to be in the loco when they are doing switching, there is a lot of precise
        and SLOW train movement. Instead of flags they now use two way radios most
        of the time, but in this case, the engineer was just a few feet from the
        worker on the ground, so visual signals worked for them.

        The word here is "easy does it" When the steam loco did hook up with the
        other diesel, it was just like a "greased landing".......ever so smooth. I
        wouldn't have minded the other type of coupling either, where it goes "bang"
        and your teeth almost get jarred out of their sockets..........smile.
        Loren