RE: [Z_Scale] Re: Blue Goose Train Ride in Yreka, California

  • Paul Hertel
    Message 1 of 33 , Oct 1, 2006
      Indeed! That's why I took a couple of big steps back and ducked, Yikes!

      I didn't even mention all the hot air...err..I mean steam.

      _____

      Message 33 of 33 , Oct 2, 2006
        Loren and all Zers,

        At Union Switch & Signals (WABCO Div.) I desigined and tested the first handheld radios. The mechenical dept develepped the package, which withstood being tossed from one side of the track to the otherside. At that time the RR people did not like radios and a lot of handsignals were still used combined with the radios

        Ed.

        Loren Snyder <ljsnyder@...> wrote:
        Jim and Dani,
        Actually, the man doing the measuring with his arms spread wide was on the
        coach during the ride and he was measuring the distance between another
        diesel locomotive and the tender when the engineer was backing up to connect
        with the diesel. The steam loco pulled two diesel locos and one passenger
        coach out of the yard for a short distance before disconnecting. It is fun
        to be in the loco when they are doing switching, there is a lot of precise
        and SLOW train movement. Instead of flags they now use two way radios most
        of the time, but in this case, the engineer was just a few feet from the
        worker on the ground, so visual signals worked for them.

        The word here is "easy does it" When the steam loco did hook up with the
        other diesel, it was just like a "greased landing".......ever so smooth. I
        wouldn't have minded the other type of coupling either, where it goes "bang"
        and your teeth almost get jarred out of their sockets..........smile.
        Loren