RE: Re: [Z_Scale] Ground Color and Cover Material

  • Don Avila
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 4, 2006
      Loren:

      I do this all the time. Paint a 50/50 Elmer's Glue/water <<OR>> if the
      scenery is still wet [ i.e. plaster or Hydrocal ] then slosh on some
      paint of Woodland Scenics Forrest Green and Tan. As usual do a POOR job
      of mixing so the paint is variegated in color and then slop on a LITTLE
      dirt. The next day start an area by spritzing 50/50 Elmer's/Water and
      then sprinkle on a little scenic foam. After it dries keep doing this
      with different shades of foam, maybe over several days or at least a
      couple of hours between applications. Areas of no foam mixed in with
      adjacent areas of lots of foam looks real good. I'll sprinkle in all
      types of foam or even a LITTLE ballast or a TINY AMOUNT of a bright
      colored foam to represent field flowers. The results are usually that
      Mommy Nature will come to you for lessons.

      .don

      From: KEVIN BRADY
      Date: 09/04/06 11:03:44
      To: z_scale@yahoogroups <mailto:z_scale%40yahoogroups.com> .com
      Subject: Re: [Z_Scale] Ground Color and Cover Material

      HI John,all,
      Pick a flat light earth color(Do you live in this area?). On
      my old layout,I found some dirt by a lake and matched a hardware
      store(the
      cheapest latex you can find!) Get some cans with tight fitting lids,cut
      the
      paint in half with water,so you'll plenty.
      Now I filled up several cans with the dirt,spread out several layers of
      newspapers and spread the dirt out,let it dry for several days,turning
      it
      over so it is dry. Next,take a kitchen strainer(don't ask the wife!Buy
      your
      own! ;-) on some more newspaper,filter the dirt thru the strainer.This
      will
      catch the larger pieces and organic material.Next and this important for
      Z-scale,get a fine strainer,like a tea strainer and filter the dirt
      again,so
      you have the finest dirt possible.If you find the *right* dirt it will
      almost be a powder.When you have the -grade- you want(you can repeat
      this
      steps as many times as you deem necessary),run a magnet thru the
      dirt,this
      will pick up any metallic pieces that will cause heck if they ever get
      in a
      motor,....
      Apply your paint and using the tea strainer,sprinkle the dirt over the
      painted areas,then let it dry(24 hours at least,depending on humidity)
      Vacuum any loose material.This way any bare spots,will look like earth
      and
      not just paint ;-)
      White glue works fine,but I prefer matte medium as it remains flexible
      over
      time.

      Dr Dirt (hence the name!)