Re: Ground Color and Cover Material

  • bobfage2000
    Message 1 of 20 , Sep 4, 2006
      Do the same thing myself Allan... in fact have been doing that for
      the past week or so using the green and brown on a customers layout..
      if you put the earth tone heavy and sprinkle you can in fact build it
      up and it gives a nice un even level if you sprinkle more on as keep
      doing it.. the paint tries to rise through the paint.. so more paint
      more depth, if just a light cover wanted, then just paint on a
      little. In a few days hoover and some of the sprinkle will come off
      and it looks very nice and realistic... Bob Fage (in the UK)

      --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, "Allan Borg" <themohican2003@...>
      wrote:

      > Hi John
      > Whenever I apply ground cover foam I use the earth tone paint and
      > before it dries I sprinkle on the foam and save another step. It
      > doesn't matter if not all the surface is filled, the ground that is
      > still exposed looks more realistic when you see bare patches.
      > Allan Borg
      > > All you North Eastern modellers,
      > >
      > > What type/brand/color paint do paint the base of your layouts
      prior
      > > putting on ground cover and what type/brand/color of ground cover
      do
      > > use over that?
      > >
      > > Thanks in advance,
      > >
      > > John Bartolotto

    • KEVIN BRADY
      Message 2 of 20 , Sep 4, 2006
        HI John,all,
        Pick a flat light earth color(Do you live in this area?). On my old layout,I found some dirt by a lake and matched a hardware store(the cheapest latex you can find!) Get some cans with tight fitting lids,cut the paint in half with water,so you'll plenty.
        Now I filled up several cans with the dirt,spread out several layers of newspapers and spread the dirt out,let it dry for several days,turning it over so it is dry. Next,take a kitchen strainer(don't ask the wife!Buy your own! ;-) on some more newspaper,filter the dirt thru the strainer.This will catch the larger pieces and organic material.Next and this important for Z-scale,get a fine strainer,like a tea strainer and filter the dirt again,so you have the finest dirt possible.If you find the *right* dirt it will almost be a powder.When you have the -grade- you want(you can repeat this steps as many times as you deem necessary),run a magnet thru the dirt,this will pick up any metallic pieces that will cause heck if they ever get in a motor,....
        Apply your paint and using the tea strainer,sprinkle the dirt over the painted areas,then let it dry(24 hours at least,depending on humidity).Vacuum any loose material.This way any bare spots,will look like earth and not just paint ;-)
        White glue works fine,but I prefer matte medium as it remains flexible over time.

        Dr Dirt (hence the name!)

        What type/brand/color paint do paint the base of your layouts prior to
        putting on ground cover and what type/brand/color of ground cover do
        use over that?

        Thanks in advance,

        John Bartolotto

      • John & Sue Bartolotto
        Message 3 of 20 , Sep 4, 2006
          Thanks Kevin!!

          John

          _____

          What type/brand/color paint do paint the base of your layouts prior to
          putting on ground cover and what type/brand/color of ground cover do
          use over that?

          Thanks in advance,

          John Bartolotto

        • Hurley, Ronald J.,M.D.
          Message 4 of 20 , Sep 4, 2006
            A PhD in dirt! or as they used to say "piled higher and deeper"....just where
            are you located "Dr. Dirt?" (I am southeast of Boston in Norwell) ron

            Message 5 of 20 , Sep 4, 2006
              Here is a method that we use down in South Texas.

              First we form our terraine to the shape we want by shoping layers of
              foam.

              Next we add the molded rock if is needed or wanted.

              Then we mix Celuclay with a 50/50 mixutre of water and latex paint that
              is of the desired color.

              Spread the mixture over the area to be covered to a depth not to exceed
              3/16 to 1/4 inch. (Thin layers prevent drying cracks.)

              Once the desired shape is attained, sprinkle with the necessary color
              of Woodland Scenics material.

              The combination of water and latex with the Celuclay slows down the
              drying time, allowing time to apply the texturing material. After the
              ararea has dried, add trees and the ground foam using your choice of
              adhesive.

              This method allows the color to be more that a surface treatment.
              Should there ne a nick or gouge, the color of the earth still is there
              wihout the bright white under surface showing through.

              This allows you to get a fairly smoothe surface or a rougher one if you
              desire. It looks (to me) a lot more natural when finished than a
              smoothe plaster surface.

              Larry D
              San Antonio, TX
            • Alan Cox
              Message 6 of 20 , Sep 5, 2006
                Ar Maw, 2006-09-05 am 02:02 +0000, ysgrifennodd Larry Donsbach:

                > desire. It looks (to me) a lot more natural when finished than a
                > smoothe plaster surface.

                My plaster isn't smooth. I actually find plaster to be a very useful
                material especially for rocky surfaces. You can btw mix most plasters
                with watercolour paints or kiddies poster paints and they will set
                convenient colours (browns, greens, greys etc) so that chip marks don't
                show.

              • KEVIN BRADY
                Message 7 of 20 , Sep 5, 2006
                  Hi Loren,all,
                  Let's keep on topic? ;-)))

                  I think Jeffrey answered your question,you want to apply the paint just enough to act as a -glue- for the dirt(and cover the base/plaster/plaster cloth)
                  I remembered somewhere that as far as the US is concerned,it showed the color of soil around the country.Since I (use to) model southern Germany in epoch III I brought as many color photos I could of the area and then tried to match it.Remember out layout lighting is much weaker than sunlight,so go light,just not with bier! :-P

                  Dr Dirt

                  Message 8 of 20 , Sep 5, 2006
                    Hi Ron,all,
                    I live in Beverly,Ma. http://www.beverlyma.gov/Public_Documents/index
                    Sounds like a road trip! ;-)

                    Dr Dirt

                    Message 9 of 20 , Sep 5, 2006
                      Terrain, rocks, South Texas -- my eye. We don't have
                      no stinking rocks.

                      You're talking about Central Texas/Hill COuntry.

                      Tom Fisher
                      Corpus Christi

                      --- Larry Donsbach <ldonsbach@...> wrote:

                      > Here is a method that we use down in South Texas.
                      >
                      > First we form our terraine to the shape we want by
                      > shoping layers of
                      > foam.
                      >
                      > Next we add the molded rock if is needed or wanted.
                      >
                      > Then we mix Celuclay with a 50/50 mixutre of water
                      > and latex paint that
                      > is of the desired color.
                      >
                      > Spread the mixture over the area to be covered to a
                      > depth not to exceed
                      > 3/16 to 1/4 inch. (Thin layers prevent drying
                      > cracks.)
                      >
                      > Once the desired shape is attained, sprinkle with
                      > the necessary color
                      > of Woodland Scenics material.
                      >
                      > The combination of water and latex with the Celuclay
                      > slows down the
                      > drying time, allowing time to apply the texturing
                      > material. After the
                      > ararea has dried, add trees and the ground foam
                      > using your choice of
                      > adhesive.
                      >
                      > This method allows the color to be more that a
                      > surface treatment.
                      > Should there ne a nick or gouge, the color of the
                      > earth still is there
                      > wihout the bright white under surface showing
                      > through.
                      >
                      > This allows you to get a fairly smoothe surface or a
                      > rougher one if you
                      > desire. It looks (to me) a lot more natural when
                      > finished than a
                      > smoothe plaster surface.
                      >
                      > Larry D
                      > San Antonio, TX

                      http://mail.yahoo.com
                    • loren snyder
                      Message 10 of 20 , Sep 5, 2006
                        --- In z_scale@yahoogroups.com, Tom Fisher <tfisher10@...> wrote:
                        > Terrain, rocks, South Texas -- my eye. We don't have
                        > no stinking rocks.
                        > You're talking about Central Texas/Hill COuntry.
                        > Tom Fisher
                        > Corpus Christi

                        Tom,
                        I didn't know rocks stink, but I'll take your word for it.
                        Larry and Alan have mentioned adding pigment colors to the plaster
                        when you mix it up and I second the motion.

                        After seeing the great looking rocks, (sorry Tom) that Jason Alles
                        from Cascade Z Modelers made for his module I became convinced that
                        adding color to plaster is the simplest and best way to get a good
                        ground cover color.

                        Jason had some fantastic looking rocks and I asked him how he painted
                        them. He said...."I didn't" He had added color to a batch of plaster
                        that he had turned into rock castings and when the plaster was good
                        and dry, he wrapped the castings in a piece of cloth and took his
                        frustrations out on the castings with a hammer.

                        He then strained the rock fragments with different sized screen and
                        ended up with a ton of rocks, (pun intended) of different sizes, from
                        almost powder to Z scale 30 footers. He piled his rocks in the
                        configuration he wanted at the foot of a mountain and set them in
                        place with the typical glue/water mixture. After the rocks were set
                        in place, he did add some highlights to certain rocks with other tints
                        of paint. The result was quite nice and no matter how many
                        prospectors might chip away at Jason's rock pile, they always have the
                        basic rock color to them without any white color showing through.

                        Plaster is a bit heavy for modules, but even then, the colored plaster
                        rocks sure look nice.

                        Still getting down to earth,
                        Loren
                      • KEVIN BRADY
                        Message 11 of 20 , Sep 5, 2006
                          Hi all,
                          When I was in the SIG,ETE modular group the problem was with the frame/base weight. I can assume(maybe not!) that with Z the weight can be cut considerable.I was thinking that Styrofoam can be used at least for the baseboard.Also,why use plaster? It is heavy,how about plaster cloth?

                          http://www.sceneryexpress.com/prodinfo.asp?number=EX0060

                          Dr Dirt

                          Message 12 of 20 , Sep 5, 2006
                            I was not implying that anyone's plaster in particular was smooth. It
                            is just that I have seen too many that are like a finished wall.

                            As I said, this is what I have found to be good in this neck of the
                            woods and that fact that it is lighter than plaster/hydrocal or the
                            likes, makes it better (to me) for use on modules that are to be moved
                            about.

                            Larry D
                            San Antonio

                          • Larry Donsbach
                            Message 13 of 20 , Sep 5, 2006
                              I guess I should explain that I am a Noreasterner living in TX. My
                              choice of earth is the darker shades of brown with green grass and
                              trees. The current situation in SA is predominantly light brown.

                              With 19 days with temperatures at or over 100 degrees my grass is burnt
                              out or non existent. I was out enjoying the first significant rain in
                              over a month. It really great to go out and get a little wet from rain.

                              Larry D
                              San Antonio

                            • Tom Fisher
                              Message 14 of 20 , Sep 5, 2006
                                Well, actually there is "terrain" in South Texas in
                                comparison to let's say the Llano Estacado or the
                                Panhandle of Texas or Oklahoma or the Bonneville Salt
                                Flats.

                                There's even rock leges along portions of the Rio
                                Grande from Lake Falcon or Lake Amistad going north.

                                I've heard that there are a few other rock
                                outcroppings south of San Antonio. There are some
                                small falls at Falls City. Supposedly, there are rock
                                outcroppings in Fayette County and Mirando City, but
                                I've never actually seen a rock outcropping in South
                                Texas except along the Rio Grande north of Laredo.

                                --- Larry Donsbach <ldonsbach@...> wrote:

                                > I guess I should explain that I am a Noreasterner
                                > living in TX. My
                                > choice of earth is the darker shades of brown with
                                > green grass and
                                > trees. The current situation in SA is predominantly
                                > light brown.
                                >
                                > With 19 days with temperatures at or over 100
                                > degrees my grass is burnt
                                > out or non existent. I was out enjoying the first
                                > significant rain in
                                > over a month. It really great to go out and get a
                                > little wet from rain.
                                >

                                > Larry D
                                > San Antonio

                                > removed]

                                http://mail.yahoo.com
                              • Tom Fisher
                                Message 15 of 20 , Sep 5, 2006
                                  The Pecos River Bridge is awesome!

                                  If you can, try to drive through the Oilton/Mirando
                                  City area. It's way off the beaten path and I've never
                                  been there. From what I hear, the terrain might be
                                  interesting. Nothing as dramatic, though, as Austin
                                  and the Hill Country.

                                  --- Reynard Wellman <micron@...> wrote:

                                  > Hello Tom,
                                  > I took a tour of the Rio Grande from Laredo
                                  > to Matamoros and Boca Chica and found the
                                  > geology to be most tropical in floral appearance,
                                  > not having much in the way of limestone or
                                  > sandstone outcroppings. Up river, like you say,
                                  > is most interesting geologically and most notably
                                  > at the Del Rio - Pecos River RR bridge crossing.
                                  > Now there's a bridge! Positively scary over the
                                  > years.
                                  >
                                  > Ain't scenery fun!
                                  >
                                  > Reynard
                                  > On Sep 5, 2006, at 7:44 PM, Tom Fisher wrote:
                                  > >EDITED
                                  > > Well, actually there is "terrain" in South Texas
                                  > in
                                  > > comparison to let's say the Llano Estacado or the
                                  > > Panhandle of Texas or Oklahoma or the Bonneville
                                  > Salt
                                  > > Flats.
                                  > >
                                  > > There's even rock leges along portions of the Rio
                                  > > Grande from Lake Falcon or Lake Amistad going
                                  > north.
                                  > >
                                  > > I've heard that there are a few other rock
                                  > > outcroppings south of San Antonio. There are some
                                  > > small falls at Falls City. Supposedly, there are
                                  > rock
                                  > > outcroppings in Fayette County and Mirando City,
                                  > but
                                  > > I've never actually seen a rock outcropping in
                                  > South
                                  > > Texas except along the Rio Grande north of Laredo.
                                  >
                                  > > >EDITED

                                  > protection around
                                  > > http://mail.yahoo.com

                                  > removed]