RE: [Z_Scale] RE: IVAR Shelving for layout base

  • Melissa Cull
    Message 1 of 28 , Sep 2, 2006
      Hi Uwe,

      Thanks for the tip, will take a look.

      I'm sure your wife will aprove being into Z herself, nice height for your
      son too.

      Kind RegardZ

      Melissa
      UK

      Message 2 of 28 , Sep 2, 2006
        Hello Melissa,

        > I'm sure your wife will aprove being into Z herself, nice height for your
        > son too.

        perhaps, if the design fits the rest of our livingroom... ...in her
        eyes ;-)

        about the height for my son... well, he's started in 3rd grade just
        two weeks ago, and is now one of the big kids in school...
        ...and beware he started with English lessons now, so soon he will
        read those mails all by himself... ;-)))

        The main problem about those tables, if one want to build one himself,
        is to get a glas pane strong enough to be used. I'm still wondering
        what to use for my other project of about the same size. Just I don't
        need the strength to have a coffee pot standing on it.

        A side note:

        from October 20th to 23rd my wife and me want to have a weekend in
        London. We want to see a musical, and then find some other things to
        visit. Are there anything that is a real must see for a Z-scaler in
        London (besides all those famous stations... Paddington is a must for
        me ;-) )? At the moment we plan to stay at a hotel not to far from the
        West End.

        --
        GreetingZ
        Uwe
        Message 3 of 28 , Sep 2, 2006
          Ar Sad, 2006-09-02 am 21:56 +0200, ysgrifennodd Uwe Liermann:
          > from October 20th to 23rd my wife and me want to have a weekend in
          > London. We want to see a musical, and then find some other things to
          > visit. Are there anything that is a real must see for a Z-scaler in
          > London (besides all those famous stations... Paddington is a must for
          > me ;-) )? At the moment we plan to stay at a hotel not to far from the
          > West End.

          Paddington has some nice architecture although one side is currently
          impossible to view because the roof is under repair. One station people
          tend to miss that might interest is Baker Street underground which was
          in part restored to its original 1914 state a few years ago.

          Model rail events in the UK:
          http://www.ukmodelshops.co.uk/other/events.html#200610

          21st October sees a steam service from Finsbury park but most of the
          other interesting rail (1:1 scale) goings on are some distance from
          London.

          What else ...

          http://www.ltmuseum.co.uk/visiting/depot_open.shtml

          again 1:1 scale

          Personally I'd make sure you go and see some interesting other stuff to
          visit - lots of good museums, shows, events
        • KEVIN BRADY
          Message 4 of 28 , Sep 2, 2006
            Hi Ron,all,
            A Z-er in Boston,well maybe you can teach me(as the wonderful list has) a few things about Z! Since I moved a few coffee tables today,that sounds like just the ticket to get started in Z-gauge! I am an old Marklin 3-railer,....

            Dr Dirt

            Message 5 of 28 , Sep 3, 2006
              Ar Sad, 2006-09-02 am 18:30 +0200, ysgrifennodd Uwe Liermann:
              > Hello Alan,
              > > I can post a few photos if people want.
              >
              > That would be grea.

              Ok

              http://zeniv.linux.org.uk/~alan/pict1872.jpg is a shot of the underside
              of the small under construction Z layout (yes I know the wiring is a
              mess still). It's built as a custom frame with MDF top to the shape of
              an Ikea shelf.

              http://zeniv.linux.org.uk/~alan/pict1873.jpg is the top of the layout
              (also with much detailing and other work left to do)

              http://zeniv.linux.org.uk/~alan/pict1874.jpg is an under construction
              image showing the use of hardboard as a layer on top to keep the track
              level along with back pieces to avoid accidents. (The curve on the right
              one is so that you can still lift the shelf out, which involves tilting
              it, in future if the layout is ever dismembered.
            • Larry Card
              Message 6 of 28 , Sep 3, 2006
                How many Z-ers are in Boston? It looks as if I will be spending about 10
                days in Billerica MA, what is a must-see in the area?
                V/R
                Larry P. Card
                Franklinton NC
              • Hurley, Ronald J.,M.D.
                Message 7 of 28 , Sep 3, 2006
                  Hi larry,
                  I only know of of one other active Zer and he is not a active on this list. Not
                  many of the hobby shops carry a significant amount of z, probably similar to
                  most areas. Of course Boston and Maine was the dominant railroad out of Boston
                  heading north and west and this has been taken over by Guilford. Boston has
                  active commuter rail and is serviced by Amtrack into South Station which has
                  been restored nicely.
                  The biggest attractions are non rail however. History with the Freedom Trail,
                  Kennedy Museum, Fine Arts and Sciences Museums. Don't miss the Duck Tour -
                  great fun on an amphibius WWII duck. Boston. Com is good source of info. Have
                  fun!

                  Message 8 of 28 , Sep 4, 2006
                    Hi Larry,all,
                    Would you mind if I posted this on the Marklin Bar&Grill?

                    There a ton of folks in the area,mostly HO but some also have Z,Gauge, 1,LGB,really friendly too!:-)

                    Dr Dirt

                    Message 9 of 28 , Sep 5, 2006
                      > Would you mind if I posted this on the Marklin Bar&Grill?

                      I wouldn't mind, anything else would be up to the moderators of the
                      individual groups (cross posting and all that).
                      V/R
                      Larry P. Card
                      Franklinton NC
                    • Larry Card
                      Message 10 of 28 , Sep 6, 2006
                        >most areas. Of course Boston and Maine was the dominant railroad out of
                        >Boston

                        but I would have been more interested in the Boston, Revere Beach and Lynn
                        (narrow gauge)

                        Thanks for the reply, of course I will have to go see the Constitution now
                        that they have her masts unstepped...unless they have taken them down for
                        the winter...
                        V/R
                        Larry P. Card
                        Franklinton NC
                      • KEVIN BRADY
                        Message 11 of 28 , Sep 7, 2006
                          Hi Larry, all,
                          I believe that 'Old Ironsides" was turned about in June,so she maybe stepped down,but you can still take the tour!
                          Also if you do get a chance go see the Wenham Museum: http://www.wenhammuseum.org/
                          Nice train collection,plus a Z-gauge layout scenic by yours truly ;-)

                          Dr Dirt