RE: [Z_Scale] RE: IVAR Shelving for layout base

  • John Duino
    Message 1 of 28 , Sep 2, 2006
      On Sat, 2006-09-02 at 17:45 +0100, Melissa Cull wrote:
      > Hi Ron,
      >
      > Is that the very light coloured coffee table with the very shallow sectioned
      > drawer or the darker more antique coloured one with the deep single drawer?

      I looked at the one from Ikea a couple years ago (single unobstructed
      drawer). My only concern was that the drawer wasn't very deep and I
      wanted more vertical in my layout.

      John
    • Hurley, Ronald J.,M.D.
      Message 2 of 28 , Sep 2, 2006
        Well, it has a single drawer....painted white, the drawer is about 2 1/2 " deep,
        the drawer is divided into 4 sections, and the whole table is 36" square. Works
        pretty well. They had another rectangular shape with a much more shallow
        drawer.
        A Tea Chest.... Not a bad idea!.... I fear somebody will throw it in Boston
        Harbor though!
        I am still in track planning stage and at this stage am planning on using
        Woodland Scenics modular system. Comments anyone?
        Ron

        Sent by GoodLink (www.good.com)

        Message 3 of 28 , Sep 2, 2006
          Ar Sad, 2006-09-02 am 18:30 +0200, ysgrifennodd Uwe Liermann:
          > At home it won't be the big problem if I first put down a frame on the
          > floor to cover for all existing differences, and for abroad, you can
          > attach an adjustable screw (those adjustable feet can be had in any
          > DIY market for small money) at the bottom of the posts, so you can
          > correct any differences wherever you will set up.

          That isn't quite what I meant - the surface of the shelf itself
          sometimes curves or bows a bit.

          > and at least one layer below the layout, which can be closed with
          > doors from the system (for all those parts that the other half
          > shouldn't see so soon... ;-)

          Also for the controls ;)

          > > I can post a few photos if people want.
          >
          > That would be grea.

          Try and do that tomorrow

        • Melissa Cull
          Message 4 of 28 , Sep 2, 2006
            Hi Ron,

            That's the new style you have, the older one was much deeper but as Alan
            said still not very deep for good vertical heights.

            Floating tea chest Z layout in the harbour maybe a total first?:-)

            Kind RegardZ

            Melissa
            UK

            Message 5 of 28 , Sep 2, 2006
              Hi Uwe,

              Thanks for the tip, will take a look.

              I'm sure your wife will aprove being into Z herself, nice height for your
              son too.

              Kind RegardZ

              Melissa
              UK

              Message 6 of 28 , Sep 2, 2006
                Hello Melissa,

                > I'm sure your wife will aprove being into Z herself, nice height for your
                > son too.

                perhaps, if the design fits the rest of our livingroom... ...in her
                eyes ;-)

                about the height for my son... well, he's started in 3rd grade just
                two weeks ago, and is now one of the big kids in school...
                ...and beware he started with English lessons now, so soon he will
                read those mails all by himself... ;-)))

                The main problem about those tables, if one want to build one himself,
                is to get a glas pane strong enough to be used. I'm still wondering
                what to use for my other project of about the same size. Just I don't
                need the strength to have a coffee pot standing on it.

                A side note:

                from October 20th to 23rd my wife and me want to have a weekend in
                London. We want to see a musical, and then find some other things to
                visit. Are there anything that is a real must see for a Z-scaler in
                London (besides all those famous stations... Paddington is a must for
                me ;-) )? At the moment we plan to stay at a hotel not to far from the
                West End.

                --
                GreetingZ
                Uwe
                Message 7 of 28 , Sep 2, 2006
                  Ar Sad, 2006-09-02 am 21:56 +0200, ysgrifennodd Uwe Liermann:
                  > from October 20th to 23rd my wife and me want to have a weekend in
                  > London. We want to see a musical, and then find some other things to
                  > visit. Are there anything that is a real must see for a Z-scaler in
                  > London (besides all those famous stations... Paddington is a must for
                  > me ;-) )? At the moment we plan to stay at a hotel not to far from the
                  > West End.

                  Paddington has some nice architecture although one side is currently
                  impossible to view because the roof is under repair. One station people
                  tend to miss that might interest is Baker Street underground which was
                  in part restored to its original 1914 state a few years ago.

                  Model rail events in the UK:
                  http://www.ukmodelshops.co.uk/other/events.html#200610

                  21st October sees a steam service from Finsbury park but most of the
                  other interesting rail (1:1 scale) goings on are some distance from
                  London.

                  What else ...

                  http://www.ltmuseum.co.uk/visiting/depot_open.shtml

                  again 1:1 scale

                  Personally I'd make sure you go and see some interesting other stuff to
                  visit - lots of good museums, shows, events
                • KEVIN BRADY
                  Message 8 of 28 , Sep 2, 2006
                    Hi Ron,all,
                    A Z-er in Boston,well maybe you can teach me(as the wonderful list has) a few things about Z! Since I moved a few coffee tables today,that sounds like just the ticket to get started in Z-gauge! I am an old Marklin 3-railer,....

                    Dr Dirt

                    Message 9 of 28 , Sep 3, 2006
                      Ar Sad, 2006-09-02 am 18:30 +0200, ysgrifennodd Uwe Liermann:
                      > Hello Alan,
                      > > I can post a few photos if people want.
                      >
                      > That would be grea.

                      Ok

                      http://zeniv.linux.org.uk/~alan/pict1872.jpg is a shot of the underside
                      of the small under construction Z layout (yes I know the wiring is a
                      mess still). It's built as a custom frame with MDF top to the shape of
                      an Ikea shelf.

                      http://zeniv.linux.org.uk/~alan/pict1873.jpg is the top of the layout
                      (also with much detailing and other work left to do)

                      http://zeniv.linux.org.uk/~alan/pict1874.jpg is an under construction
                      image showing the use of hardboard as a layer on top to keep the track
                      level along with back pieces to avoid accidents. (The curve on the right
                      one is so that you can still lift the shelf out, which involves tilting
                      it, in future if the layout is ever dismembered.
                    • Larry Card
                      Message 10 of 28 , Sep 3, 2006
                        How many Z-ers are in Boston? It looks as if I will be spending about 10
                        days in Billerica MA, what is a must-see in the area?
                        V/R
                        Larry P. Card
                        Franklinton NC
                      • Hurley, Ronald J.,M.D.
                        Message 11 of 28 , Sep 3, 2006
                          Hi larry,
                          I only know of of one other active Zer and he is not a active on this list. Not
                          many of the hobby shops carry a significant amount of z, probably similar to
                          most areas. Of course Boston and Maine was the dominant railroad out of Boston
                          heading north and west and this has been taken over by Guilford. Boston has
                          active commuter rail and is serviced by Amtrack into South Station which has
                          been restored nicely.
                          The biggest attractions are non rail however. History with the Freedom Trail,
                          Kennedy Museum, Fine Arts and Sciences Museums. Don't miss the Duck Tour -
                          great fun on an amphibius WWII duck. Boston. Com is good source of info. Have
                          fun!

                          Message 12 of 28 , Sep 4, 2006
                            Hi Larry,all,
                            Would you mind if I posted this on the Marklin Bar&Grill?

                            There a ton of folks in the area,mostly HO but some also have Z,Gauge, 1,LGB,really friendly too!:-)

                            Dr Dirt

                            Message 13 of 28 , Sep 5, 2006
                              > Would you mind if I posted this on the Marklin Bar&Grill?

                              I wouldn't mind, anything else would be up to the moderators of the
                              individual groups (cross posting and all that).
                              V/R
                              Larry P. Card
                              Franklinton NC
                            • Larry Card
                              Message 14 of 28 , Sep 6, 2006
                                >most areas. Of course Boston and Maine was the dominant railroad out of
                                >Boston

                                but I would have been more interested in the Boston, Revere Beach and Lynn
                                (narrow gauge)

                                Thanks for the reply, of course I will have to go see the Constitution now
                                that they have her masts unstepped...unless they have taken them down for
                                the winter...
                                V/R
                                Larry P. Card
                                Franklinton NC
                              • KEVIN BRADY
                                Message 15 of 28 , Sep 7, 2006
                                  Hi Larry, all,
                                  I believe that 'Old Ironsides" was turned about in June,so she maybe stepped down,but you can still take the tour!
                                  Also if you do get a chance go see the Wenham Museum: http://www.wenhammuseum.org/
                                  Nice train collection,plus a Z-gauge layout scenic by yours truly ;-)

                                  Dr Dirt